View Full Version : Focalin-Getting the dose right.

JodyRowe
04-21-13, 11:27 AM
So I absolutely love Focalin. It easily works the best out of the meds I have tried. Buuut it seems like the positive effects wear off fairly quickly. Now that I've been taking them for about two months it feels like each pill only gives me about two hours of focus.

Do any of you experience this?

I did try Focalin XR, but it was unpredictable and I could never tell when the second dose kicked in.

dvdnvwls
04-21-13, 12:08 PM
So I absolutely love Focalin. It easily works the best out of the meds I have tried. Buuut it seems like the positive effects wear off fairly quickly. Now that I've been taking them for about two months it feels like each pill only gives me about two hours of focus.

This is a clear situation of "go back to the doctor and say exactly that". Problem solved.

ana futura
04-28-13, 06:21 PM
Focalin is very short acting. 2 hours sounds about right to me. I prefer to take very small doses (2.5 mgs) as often as needed. I usually take a 5 mg dose for my first dose. I also don't take it daily, as it doesn't seem to work as well that way, and my life is such that I can spend a fair portion of it unmedicated.

The XR form is not predictable, but probably a better choice if you are taking it daily.

Focalin is by far the best med I have tried, but it is not consistent. I find it best to save it for periods when I really need to focus (like reading or writing). That way it always works when I need it. If you try to work out a consistent daily dose on it you'll go nuts. Just stay aware of how much you take so you don't exceed a set daily maximum, and you should be fine.