View Full Version : ritalin problem

irdo123
04-21-13, 12:47 PM
Hi!

I am diagnosed with ADD. I am not diagnosed with bipolar and I have not used any medication besides concerta and ritalin.

With great success I started medicating with methylphenidate in June last year.
I felt my mood somewhat stabilized comparing with how I felt before medication. My focus, organizational ability, ability to talk to other people and ability to use my brain increased a lot. It worked as a charm.

During christmas and new year I had a lot of things on my shoulders, I wrote exams (got high grades), I renovated my old apartment and sold that one and moved in to my new apartment. This was VERY much work at the same time. Plus a lot instability with close family, some friend to my brother got murdered etc, christmas (run around buying presents) etc etc. It really took a toll on me. I really felt sick physically.

Everything went FANTASTIC for my self (high grades, a lot of money from apartment, got a perfect new apartment in town instead) at the same time that my family suffered and I had to somehow handle this black and white elements without going insane. It really took a toll on me.

But to the main part of this post;
My medication started to give severe side effects like very fast heart beats and maybe it is imagination but it also felt like it beated really hard and irregular, heart palpitions etc. I took a break from medication but it didnīt help, the same things happened when I tried again. Another side effect which I didnīt think of as much was a crazy sex urge that I didnīt have before.

Now, a few month later, I only take small dosages and it seems like my heart symptoms have disappeared (also I did a basic ECG and it didn't show any problem) but the insane sex urge tends to activate and I have noticed that I also have a tendency to become severely scattered in my thoughts and have really rapid thoughts that come and go during this thing. It is almost like the medicine tends to make me ADHD turbo, more ADD then before. Sometimes it works but all to often I get in to this crazy scattered and rapid thoughts and at the same time I have the sexual urges. I am not able to focus, not able to think at one thing more then 2 seconds before jumping to next one. In a few occasions I have felt borderline euphoric, listening to music, almost dancing around, go outside and just start to run because Iīm to happy to be to just walk slowly, too boring..

Al though I got a bit of money when I sold the apartment I have also had some uncharacteristic shopping patterns. Itīs not anything wild or crazy but I have been easier on the buying finger so to speak. All the things I have buyed I need or maybe want but they are borderline unnecessary. I think I act really normal in this parts now but "normal" for me used to be extremely careful with money and with buying things. "Normal" for me is going around and analyze a future buy for month before I buy it, that abnormal compulsion to overanalyze have been miles away a lot of times the past few months.

Is it possible that I have some kind of Bipolar as well and that it started to get triggered of this stimulants just after I had a bit too much on my shoulders for a couple of months? If I donīt take stimulants it seems like I get _completely_ normal ("normal", but with my ADD symptoms, no focus, no attention etc), at least after a couple of days.

I have told my doc and we are now trying strattera instead. Maybe I should give this reflection about that I all of a sudden seem to get some kind of hypomanic tendencies of the medicine and it all started after a really tough period.

Does it ring any bells for you people? I tried to describe this as objective as I could and not exaggerate things or make them look less severe.

keliza
04-21-13, 02:23 PM
When a medication triggers hypomanic-type symptoms, it can sometimes mean that a person had latent bipolar disorder and it was "triggered" into activity by the stimulants. But sometimes stimulants trigger hypomanic-type symptoms in people who have no other indications of bipolar disorder at all.

Before you took Ritalin, did you ever have chronic or sporadic issues with mood (up or down) that didn't seem to be caused by anything in particular, they just happened? You said that in the past you've been extremely careful and methodical about everything, and these hypomanic-type symptoms are new to you, so that tells me that you've never had any manic-type issues in the past. What about depression? Outside of the mood issues caused by major life stressors (or even piling up minor stressors, like school, work, relationships, etc.) did you ever have depressive episodes that lasted for weeks or months and did not seem to be caused by anything, they just sort of happened?

Also, do you have any family history of mood disorders, bipolar disorder or major depression? Or, alternatively, any family history of schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder? Family history can sometimes shed light on whether or not a person might be more likely to develop BP than average.

I have heard (but do not know for certain and do not have research to back me up) that Ritalin can make some people more "sped up" than usual, but it's only directly related to the medication, and it goes away once the meds are stopped and never comes back again. It seems that some brains are wired in such a way that they have the reverse response to what the medication is supposed to do for ADHD.

Me personally, I went manic on a low dose of Ritalin, because I became hypomanic on the Ritalin and in my hypomanic state decided, "I don't need my mood stabilizers, I'm fine!" and quit taking them. Without the ceiling that my mood stabilizers give me, my brain was free to spiral out as far as it wanted to. Oops. I don't take any stimulants anymore, which sucks because the Ritalin really did work very well for me, except for that. That is, unfortunately, a pretty disruptive side effect that I can't just live with. And antidepressants/SNRI drugs tend to flip me into mania as well, so I can't take Strattera or the like. Oh well. Maybe one day they will invent an ADHD treatment that isn't a stimulant or an SNRI drug, and I'll be first on the list for it!

For you, I would recommend that you take a good look at your personal history and family history with your psychiatrist. Ask what their opinion is - they have a lot more experience with ferreting out differential diagnoses, comorbid illnesses, and determining if a manic-like presentation is actual hypomania/mania or just a side effect. If your psychiatrist seems clueless, maybe consider switching to someone with more experience with adult ADHD/bipolar disorder.

irdo123
04-21-13, 02:56 PM
First of all, a big thank you for really taking the time to answer my post.
I try to answer your post as good as I can.

Before you took Ritalin, did you ever have chronic or sporadic issues with mood (up or down) that didn't seem to be caused by anything in particular, they just happened? You said that in the past you've been extremely careful and methodical about everything, and these hypomanic-type symptoms are new to you, so that tells me that you've never had any manic-type issues in the past. What about depression? Outside of the mood issues caused by major life stressors (or even piling up minor stressors, like school, work, relationships, etc.) did you ever have depressive episodes that lasted for weeks or months and did not seem to be caused by anything, they just sort of happened?

Correct, I donīt think I ever have felt anything like mania or hypomania before. I think I have been mildly depressed with some anxiety from time to time the last few years. I partly think this was because I have not being able to function properly because of the problems relating to organization, attention etc. I have had some anxiety from time to time that I really couldnīt directly relate to anything significante in my surroundings.

Also, do you have any family history of mood disorders, bipolar disorder or major depression? Or, alternatively, any family history of schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder? Family history can sometimes shed light on whether or not a person might be more likely to develop BP than average.

My father has a lot of problems and is diagnosed with bipolar disorder, (he told me at least, he also have other problems and I have some trustissues with what he says, I donīt take him too serious) maybe he even have other diagnosis as well, I donīt really know. My mother is stable but seems depressed from time to time but nothing out of the ordinary I think.

I have heard (but do not know for certain and do not have research to back me up) that Ritalin can make some people more "sped up" than usual, but it's only directly related to the medication, and it goes away once the meds are stopped and never comes back again. It seems that some brains are wired in such a way that they have the reverse response to what the medication is supposed to do for ADHD.

Yepp, the weird thing is that it didnīt do this to me for 8 months or so. I functioned really well and have not been so "able" to live a normal life before. Everything in my life improved drastictly. Then this came all of a sudden and I seem to go crazy on the medicine all of a sudden. (And seems to get worse every time I test). Like if I take as little as 1/5 of my normal dosage that I took before I get this crazy tendencies. (or even less!!)

Me personally, I went manic on a low dose of Ritalin, because I became hypomanic on the Ritalin and in my hypomanic state decided, "I don't need my mood stabilizers, I'm fine!" and quit taking them. Without the ceiling that my mood stabilizers give me, my brain was free to spiral out as far as it wanted to. Oops. I don't take any stimulants anymore, which sucks because the Ritalin really did work very well for me, except for that. That is, unfortunately, a pretty disruptive side effect that I can't just live with. And antidepressants/SNRI drugs tend to flip me into mania as well, so I can't take Strattera or the like. Oh well. Maybe one day they will invent an ADHD treatment that isn't a stimulant or an SNRI drug, and I'll be first on the list for it!

Thats a shame! It really sucks. Keep it up!

For you, I would recommend that you take a good look at your personal history and family history with your psychiatrist. Ask what their opinion is - they have a lot more experience with ferreting out differential diagnoses, comorbid illnesses, and determining if a manic-like presentation is actual hypomania/mania or just a side effect. If your psychiatrist seems clueless, maybe consider switching to someone with more experience with adult ADHD/bipolar disorder.

Yeah, I will talk to my doctor more throughly about this next time I see her.

Now Iīm on the third day with strattera on a really low dosage. I feel I get some very mild tendencies to sex urges even with this but maybe it will dissapear, itīs only 48 house ago I stopped ritalin totally. Maybe I need to stabilize for some time. I really hope this works.

If I have some kind of bipolar, I wonder if stabilizing meds will make it possible for me to keep on taking stimulants if strattera dosenīt work. Since it took 8 months until this problems occured Iīm maybe not an "extreme case" which make that possible.. Oh well, time will tell.

Thanks again for the reply!

keliza
04-21-13, 06:23 PM
Correct, I donīt think I ever have felt anything like mania or hypomania before. I think I have been mildly depressed with some anxiety from time to time the last few years. I partly think this was because I have not being able to function properly because of the problems relating to organization, attention etc. I have had some anxiety from time to time that I really couldnīt directly relate to anything significante in my surroundings.

Is it possible that the "sped up" feeling you have been getting on Ritalin might be related to anxiety, then, since you've had issues with that in the past?

My father has a lot of problems and is diagnosed with bipolar disorder, (he told me at least, he also have other problems and I have some trustissues with what he says, I donīt take him too serious) maybe he even have other diagnosis as well, I donīt really know. My mother is stable but seems depressed from time to time but nothing out of the ordinary I think.

That is a good sign. Mood disorders tend to be really strongly heritable, even if it's not bipolar disorder specifically. Having an immediate relative with major depression can increase your risk of BP as well, or schizophrenia/schizoaffective disorder.

Yepp, the weird thing is that it didnīt do this to me for 8 months or so. I functioned really well and have not been so "able" to live a normal life before. Everything in my life improved drastictly. Then this came all of a sudden and I seem to go crazy on the medicine all of a sudden. (And seems to get worse every time I test). Like if I take as little as 1/5 of my normal dosage that I took before I get this crazy tendencies. (or even less!!)

The fact that you were on Ritalin for a solid 8 months before you had any kind of hypomanic symptoms (among other things) is leading me to think that it is probably not bipolar disorder. If Ritalin were causing hypomania or mania, it would have most likely done so right away, not taken almost 3/4 of a year to show up.

I wonder, was anything else going on at the time that your symptoms on Ritalin started to appear? Any big life changes, major stressors, other health issues, relationships falling apart, a death in the family, moving, new academic demands, anything at all?

My thought is that maybe at the time you restarted the medication, your "threshold" for stress/stimulation was lower than it had been when you first began taking Ritalin. Maybe your brain had fewer defenses against the speeding effects of Ritalin because your brain was already using up a lot of its energy on whatever was stressing you out. Then, when your "defenses" were already low, you began a medication that made you somewhat more likely to have an irritable/hypomanic-type response. Does that make sense? I have absolutely no proof of this happening in literature, so take it with a grain of salt, but it seems like a possibility to me. And now that you've had that reaction before, you're more sensitive to having it again.

If I have some kind of bipolar, I wonder if stabilizing meds will make it possible for me to keep on taking stimulants if strattera dosenīt work. Since it took 8 months until this problems occured Iīm maybe not an "extreme case" which make that possible.. Oh well, time will tell.

If your doctor does determine that you have some kind of bipolar/NOS (not otherwise specified) mood disturbance, it's possible that they could try you on a low-dose mood stabilizer to see if that would help you any. For some people with bipolar disorder, being on a mood stabilizer allows them to take stimulants that would otherwise unbalance their mood. The mood stabilizers put a "ceiling" on manic episodes, and a "floor" on depression.

You can see how that works in my example of what happened to me. I was only hypomanic when I began taking Ritalin on my mood stabilizer, but once I decided (in a streak of pure brilliance) to stop taking the mood stabilizer, my brain went all over the place. The protective "ceiling" wasn't there anymore.

Personally, I don't think you have bipolar disorder. You don't have any historic symptoms to suggest that you might be having a true hypomanic episode in response to the Ritalin. You haven't had any major depressive episodes or any manic/hypomanic episodes outside of the exposure to the Ritalin. But I'm also not a doctor, so like I said, take it with a grain of salt. Talk to your psychiatrist and see what they say about it, is the best option right now.

Good luck!

sarahsweets
04-22-13, 04:58 AM
sometimes its as simple as the type of med you take, even after 8 months. Years ago, I took ritalin for 6 months. I felt great for 3 of them but then the spiral happened. Now, I do have BPII, but that aside, a different class of medication, other then the methylphenidate class of meds could be the issue/

irdo123
04-22-13, 07:39 AM
Ok.

I drank a coffe an hour ago. My sexual urges increased like crazy instantly. Gah. I have not been taking ritalin either for a few days. I will soon go crazy of this. I donīt want to rape anyone.

keliza
04-23-13, 11:42 AM
Are you prone to anxious thoughts about harming people, even though you have no history of harming others? Just curious. It's a symptom of OCD, which can be severely exacerbated by stimulant intake, just FYI.

irdo123
04-23-13, 01:54 PM
The thing I wrote about rape was really some kind of joke, I have never wanted to rape someone. I was only extremly horny.

But in general, I have fantasized about harming people that have done wrong to me but I think thats nothing serious, just a response of feeling badly treated sometimes.

Today I felt so extremely slow and tired so I took a small dose (5 mg) ritalin. I knew it would probably give bad side effects after a while but I had an important thing in school so I figured it would kick start me and then I could deal with the side effects after this important thing. I have not gotten any side effects what so ever though, it was 8 hours I took it now. I am on starting doses with strattera as well as I mentioned.

It was a few days I took ritalin earlier. Can this give some kind of information? My thoughts being something like that my brain have slowed down and stabilized. I think I forgot to mention that last time I had a few days break I could take ritalin for a couple of days before I got this kind of hyper sexuality and rapid+scattered thoughts all over again. It seems to be that pattern.

I feel that this could add to my suspicion that I can have some kind of other disorder, that sometimes can easily be triggered of stimulants, as well ? Isnīt it likely I would get the side effects even if I have had some days break if it was the medication that I didnīt tolerate?

keliza
04-23-13, 11:01 PM
Rape jokes are never funny or acceptable. I'm not going to harp on the issue, but I feel the need to state that clearly and unequivocally. Rape is not a joke.

Anyway, moving on. It kind of sounds like stress may be a factor in whether or not you have the negative "speed" effects when you take Ritalin. Do you find that when you have those negative side effects, that you are more stressed out in general around that time? Or that more is happening in your life that could trigger a stress response?

The types of illnesses typically exacerbated by stimulants are bipolar disorder and anxiety disorders (like OCD, generalized anxiety, social anxiety, and panic disorder). Do you feel anxious while you're having these side effects, or is there no noticeable difference in your anxiety level?

I think it might be really helpful for your next doctor's appointment if you write down all of the things that you've been telling us in this thread, and bring them to your appointment. You're doing a good job of communicating how it feels and what happens when you take the medication, which may help give your doctor some insight into what exactly is going on and how to best remedy it. He/she may know more about it than we do, and have some better professional insights as to what the cause is.

irdo123
04-26-13, 11:06 AM
Rape jokes are never funny or acceptable. I'm not going to harp on the issue, but I feel the need to state that clearly and unequivocally. Rape is not a joke.

Aa well, I agree. sorry

Anyway, moving on. It kind of sounds like stress may be a factor in whether or not you have the negative "speed" effects when you take Ritalin. Do you find that when you have those negative side effects, that you are more stressed out in general around that time? Or that more is happening in your life that could trigger a stress response?

I canīt say for sure that it has or hasnīt something to do with stress. I donīt really think so but of course itīs probably isnīt impossible. My feeling is that if I take a small dosage ritalin one time and then not take it anymore that day or the days after it feels like it most often wonīt affect me negatively. But if I take it that day after and maybe the day after that (And I talk about small dosages) it almost feels like I get up in speed. Like a big fat truck that canīt be stopped. And when that happens I become extremely horny, canīt sit still, just hopping around doing 1000 things at the same time but produces nothing and feel frustrated as hell at the same time. If I masturbate I will be relieved for like 20 minutes and then the horniness takes me in total control once again. I have also figured out that I can get the same response of coffe and nicotine. My brain gets speedy. I am 25 year old and before this winther I have _never_ had this kind of symptoms when taking nicotine or drinking coffe. I had a medium to high dosage of concerta also for a lot of month and that didnīt affect me.. (until the start of this year) It feels like I easier and easier get in to this kind of state.

The types of illnesses typically exacerbated by stimulants are bipolar disorder and anxiety disorders (like OCD, generalized anxiety, social anxiety, and panic disorder). Do you feel anxious while you're having these side effects, or is there no noticeable difference in your anxiety level?

No, I feel no anxiety at all when having this side effects, zero. I easily get anxiety but mostly I feel it when Iīm not taking ritalin etc, when I take methylphenidate my anxiety disappear almost totally. One suspicion I have is that I get some kind of anxiety responses in the body which my mind isnīt registeringi or something like that, so I donīt FEEL anxious, but maybe I am ?, but the stimulants mask that for my brain somehow?? If not it is easy to see that my anxiety decreases drastically when I take methylphenidate, even when I take extremely low dosages which I canīt register in other way than that my anxiety have disapperad.

I think it might be really helpful for your next doctor's appointment if you write down all of the things that you've been telling us in this thread, and bring them to your appointment. You're doing a good job of communicating how it feels and what happens when you take the medication, which may help give your doctor some insight into what exactly is going on and how to best remedy it. He/she may know more about it than we do, and have some better professional insights as to what the cause is.

Yeah, I will talk more to them about this kind of things.

Right now I have upped my strattera dosage and strattera keeps on feeling like it could be for me. I am only in 20 mg so far so time will tell if it will work for me or if I will get the same response as with all the methylphenidates. If I get the same kind of response on strattera when upped dosage I really feel that it probably have something to do with some other underlying disorder, am i right?

keliza
04-26-13, 06:38 PM
I am 25 year old and before this winther I have _never_ had this kind of symptoms when taking nicotine or drinking coffe. I had a medium to high dosage of concerta also for a lot of month and that didnīt affect me.. (until the start of this year) It feels like I easier and easier get in to this kind of state.

Considering as you have similar feelings when you ingest nicotine or coffee, I think it's pretty safe to say that you have a general negative response to stimulants, wherever they come from. Typically bipolar disorder and anxiety disorders are the ones that react most negatively to stimulants, but you don't actually have to have an underlying disorder to trigger this kind of sensitivity to stimulants. You might just be sensitive to stimulants, for no particular reason other than that's how your central nervous system is wired. Especially since you have no other symptoms of an underlying disorder, I think you're probably just sensitive to them.

No, I feel no anxiety at all when having this side effects, zero. I easily get anxiety but mostly I feel it when Iīm not taking ritalin etc, when I take methylphenidate my anxiety disappear almost totally. One suspicion I have is that I get some kind of anxiety responses in the body which my mind isnīt registeringi or something like that, so I donīt FEEL anxious, but maybe I am ?, but the stimulants mask that for my brain somehow?? If not it is easy to see that my anxiety decreases drastically when I take methylphenidate, even when I take extremely low dosages which I canīt register in other way than that my anxiety have disapperad.I think that is possible, yes. I have had a similar response when I've taken Ritalin in the past (when I wasn't manic). My mental anxiety disappeared, but it seemed to manifest itself in physical reactions - grinding my teeth/clenching my jaw, sweating hands, etc. It was an anxiety-like response, but I didn't feel mentally anxious, so I know that is entirely possible just from having experienced that myself.

Right now I have upped my strattera dosage and strattera keeps on feeling like it could be for me. I am only in 20 mg so far so time will tell if it will work for me or if I will get the same response as with all the methylphenidates. If I get the same kind of response on strattera when upped dosage I really feel that it probably have something to do with some other underlying disorder, am i right?Strattera isn't a stimulant, it's a selective norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor, so it works differently than Ritalin does. If you have a good response to Strattera and don't have any similar effects, I think it would be safe to say that you're just sensitive to stimulants. If you have similar feelings on Strattera that you've had on Ritalin, caffeine, etc. then you may want to consider another underlying condition that is causing those reactions.

Lunacie
04-26-13, 06:52 PM
Did your dosage change?
Did you change from IR to XR Ritalin?
Did the pills look any different? - when they come from a different manufacturer, people can react to them quite differently.
Did you add any other meds or supplements?

irdo123
04-26-13, 06:55 PM
Okey.

The weird thing is that I have never been sensitive to stimulants before in my life. It seems like it all started a few months ago and wonīt stop. Maybe I just reached some state because of concertamedication that isnīt irreversible.

Time will tell about my response of strattera. Today I have had to masturbate 4 times to relieve but my drive has not been as strong as it is when I have taken ritalin. On this level it was kind of pleasurable, on ritalin it gets like real torture and itīs almost like I want to cry because itīs so intensive and kind of compulsive.

irdo123
04-26-13, 07:05 PM
Did your dosage change?
Did you change from IR to XR Ritalin?
From June 2012-Januari 2013 I was on concerta.

I was on concerta 36 mg from June to november.
In november we upped it to 54 mg, added 18 mg in lunchtime.

I started to feel weird in my heart.

I sold my old appartment and moved to my new one in January. My heartthing kept on troubeling me, tried to pause the concerta and try it again a few days later etc but nothing helped.

I also started to feel REALLY good and I got more and more horny as well. In the beginning it was not this bad. I figured it was because I got rich of selling my apartment and moved in to a absolute perfect apartment in a perfect location. I figured it was a reasonably response and I kind of still think but because of my trouble I have been thinking more and more about it, maybe I have triggered some hypomania or something, I have no idea..

I went down to 36 mg concerta again but still problem.

I tried medikinet IR, worked decent, sometimes, if I took really small dosages. Then next time I got to the pharmacy they gave me ritalin IR but the same thing there.

So the problem started with concerta and I have also tried some IR formulations without success.

What I can see is that the trouble started after (not directly though) I increased the concerta dosage. After a month or so my heart started troubling me and didnīt stop even though I decreased dosage, paused, etc. Now the heart isnīt troubling me because I have almost not taken methylphenidate for a month or so. I have only taken it in really small dosages. The only thing it does is to get my drive in to a really crazy state so I have to masturbate all the time..

Did the pills look any different? - when they come from a different manufacturer, people can react to them quite differently.

No.

Did you add any other meds or supplements?

Yes! I started to take vitamin D in december and tried some vitamin B6. When I got problems with medication I stopped this things because I wasnīt sure how this things affected things.

irdo123
04-26-13, 07:15 PM
One correlation that I _think_ I can see is that when I get this intense sex drive (and canīt think about anything then sex and that I have to ejaculate) I have a hard time breath and my heart pounds pretty hard. I figured this was because of the excitement because the feeling I get is the same as the one you have just 0.5-1 second before you ejaculate, when you are up on that high hill and finally is going to have it released. But now I am wondering if all of it just is a anxiety response. The anxiety make me horny because reliving my self is one way to decrease anxiety??

Lunacie
04-26-13, 07:17 PM
Concerta and Ritalin are basically the same medication. Medikinet too.
They could all cause the same side effects.

I don't know if any other stimulant meds are available where you live, but
it's possible something like Adderall wouldn't cause those side effects.

irdo123
04-26-13, 07:22 PM
I know.

Yes amphetaminbased options are availible but I am not so eager to try those because of the neurotoxicity (even though I guess itīs very marginal in therapeutic dosages).

And somehow I canīt imagine that those will work on me right now either since I canīt even tollerate caffeine most days. Itīs so weird. How could I develop such sensitivity to stimulants just from one day to another almost??

Lunacie
04-26-13, 08:05 PM
I know.

Yes amphetaminbased options are availible but I am not so eager to try those because of the neurotoxicity (even though I guess itīs very marginal in therapeutic dosages).

And somehow I canīt imagine that those will work on me right now either since I canīt even tollerate caffeine most days. Itīs so weird. How could I develop such sensitivity to stimulants just from one day to another almost??

It would have been weird if you'd stayed on the same dose of the same
brand. Not so weird when you doubled your dose from one day to the next.

irdo123
04-26-13, 08:10 PM
It would have been weird if you'd stayed on the same dose of the same
brand. Not so weird when you doubled your dose from one day to the next.

To be fair it was the smallest dosage increase which meant a 1/3 increase. (from 36 mg to 54 mg concerta).

Maybe this created the problems. But now I have been off them for 3 month and I canīt even take 18 mg concerta, then I would sit obsessing over porn for hours and have one hand down the pants. I really donīt want to be a person like that. I want to be able to do the things in life that you have to. :/ 2.5 mg ritalin IR is sometimes a bit too much, you are almost not able to take less and I almost not get any benefit what so ever at 2.5 mg dosage.

Lunacie
04-26-13, 08:55 PM
To be fair it was the smallest dosage increase which meant a 1/3 increase. (from 36 mg to 54 mg concerta).

Maybe this created the problems. But now I have been off them for 3 month and I canīt even take 18 mg concerta, then I would sit obsessing over porn for hours and have one hand down the pants. I really donīt want to be a person like that. I want to be able to do the things in life that you have to. :/ 2.5 mg ritalin IR is sometimes a bit too much, you are almost not able to take less and I almost not get any benefit what so ever at 2.5 mg dosage.

I thought you said that you went from 36 mg > 54 mg + an 18 mg booster.
54 + 18 = 72.
36 x 2 = 72.

I've heard about stimulants having the side effects you've mentioned.
And you're saying the side effects have gotten better in the 3 months
since you stopped taking the meds, but haven't gone away completely?

Side effects like heart problems, and obsessive-compulsive disorder (sex)
usually only happen with large doses (as in abuse). Did you talk to your
doctor about these side effects? You might need hypertensive meds or
meds to treat OCD until this passes.

Oh, I keep forgetting about the supplements. Vitamin D and B12 shouldn't
make any difference in the effects of the stimulant med.

adding: just to clarify, I'm not accusing you of abusing the meds. Some
people are just very sensitive to meds (I am) and a max dose (72 mg)
could affect you like abusing the meds would do someone less sensitive.

irdo123
04-27-13, 02:36 AM
I thought you said that you went from 36 mg > 54 mg + an 18 mg booster.
54 + 18 = 72.
36 x 2 = 72.

No I went to 54 mg and what I meant was that I did that by adding a 18 mg in lunchtime. (36 mg in morning and a 18 mg in lunchtime).

I've heard about stimulants having the side effects you've mentioned.
And you're saying the side effects have gotten better in the 3 months
since you stopped taking the meds, but haven't gone away completely?
Yepp my heart have been starting to beat much smoother again. I feel some irregular heartbeats more easily now but it feels like it starting to recover. My sexthing have become worse if I take a stimulant, I need less and less stimulants to trigger that thing. One mouth of coffe and Iīm ready to masturbate, itīs crazy. Even when Iīm not taking a stimulant. Maybe itīs more easily triggered of this strattera also.

Side effects like heart problems, and obsessive-compulsive disorder (sex)
usually only happen with large doses (as in abuse). Did you talk to your
doctor about these side effects? You might need hypertensive meds or
meds to treat OCD until this passes.
Ok weird. I havenīt abused.
Ok, I will talk to my doctor about this so they really understand. It seams like they donīt really understand this about my sexdrive. It almost seems like they take it as some minor side effect when I really tried to stress how intensive it gets. I will talk to them more.

adding: just to clarify, I'm not accusing you of abusing the meds. Some
people are just very sensitive to meds (I am) and a max dose (72 mg)
could affect you like abusing the meds would do someone less sensitive.
Okey. Remember that I have not been taking 72 mg though.

"I was on concerta 36 mg from June to november.
In november we upped it to 54 mg, added 18 mg in lunchtime." Maybe I should have written "by adding 18 mg in lunchtime".

irdo123
04-27-13, 02:50 AM
Btw the doctor asked me if I would like to take inderal (betablocker) but I questioned that because my main problem was the sexual thing and not the heart anymore. If I remember correctly she said something about Risperdal also but Iīm not sure. She didnīt explain what that was, I was so ADHD so I just kept on talking and didnīt even ask her what that was.. In the end we decided to try Strattera.

irdo123
04-27-13, 07:39 AM
Damnit. Same symptoms on strattera al though a little bit less intense.. **** **** ****..

Right now I want to just **** everything and stop medication so I donīt have to live in this hell. **** the school and just escape to some other country. Canīt take this hassle anymore

Lunacie
04-27-13, 11:36 AM
No I went to 54 mg and what I meant was that I did that by adding a 18 mg in lunchtime. (36 mg in morning and a 18 mg in lunchtime).

Yepp my heart have been starting to beat much smoother again. I feel some irregular heartbeats more easily now but it feels like it starting to recover. My sexthing have become worse if I take a stimulant, I need less and less stimulants to trigger that thing. One mouth of coffe and Iīm ready to masturbate, itīs crazy. Even when Iīm not taking a stimulant. Maybe itīs more easily triggered of this strattera also.

Ok weird. I havenīt abused.
Ok, I will talk to my doctor about this so they really understand. It seams like they donīt really understand this about my sexdrive. It almost seems like they take it as some minor side effect when I really tried to stress how intensive it gets. I will talk to them more.

Okey. Remember that I have not been taking 72 mg though.

"I was on concerta 36 mg from June to november.
In november we upped it to 54 mg, added 18 mg in lunchtime." Maybe I should have written "by adding 18 mg in lunchtime".

Thanks for clearing that up. Now I see what you were saying. It does seem
odd that a small increase would cause such a big change, but it's been
known to happen, especially in people who are really sensitive.

I've had some minor reactions to meds (and many other things) over the
years, but had a very serious reaction to a beta blocker once, after taking
it for about 2 weeks. I'm pretty cautious about trying any new meds now.

Have you tried the supplement Omega 3 fish oil? It helps some people,
and the only side effect has been fishy burps, which is enough for those
who get them to stop taking the fish oil. There are a few of us on this
forum who have found Omega 3 to be very helpful with ADHD symptoms.

And yes, if even coffee stimulates the desire for sex, the doctor needs to
take that into account. Sometimes we have to make doctors listen, eh?

irdo123
04-27-13, 12:16 PM
Yepp, I will try to talk to them again so they really understand. There is no point taking stimulants now when I get these side effects.

irdo123
05-06-13, 11:17 AM
My sexual urges seems to decline more and more even though Iīm on strattera as long as I donīt even touch methylphenidate.

Iīm still more horny then whatīs comfortable and I still running around a little bit in the hypomaniac way but both symptoms is getting less and less intense. Maybe Iīm starting to get out of this crazy state. I have flunked two courses this spring and I have never ever flunked a course before. I didnīt have the patient to sit and write the exams. :(

irdo123
05-16-13, 08:52 AM
Had an episode yesterday for 5 hours where I had typical hypomanic tendencies. (involving almost buying plane ticket to a country far far away)

Today I had an doctors appointment and we decided to stop strattera. I probably have some kind of mood disorder/bi-polar which we have to medicate. :(

amnesic pete
05-18-13, 12:05 AM
I was able able to take concerta during my teens years at the lowest dose until I gradueted high school quite because food was not fun. Was off the medication until my last year of college when I became depressed because of a big course load. Finally saw a psychiatrist and he prescribed me the lowest dose of ritalin which knocked me from a depressed phase into a manic phase. Doctor put me on a low dose of adderrall which caused me to become extremely narcissistic eventially I quit taking the adderall because it was causing nasty headaches, anxiety attacks. I probably hit mania at certain times but could not tell. However ever it seemed to increase my fine motor control to the point that my hand would not shake and walking made me feel like I was pushing a button on a a machine. I could also multi-task and could sometimes think two thoughts simultaneously. It was easier to generate philosophical BS too. I could get high when I found my own thoughts amusing and winning at video games.

After I stopped taking adderall I went into a depression. Ended up sleeping a lot and waking up feeling tired. Eventually bipolar was ruled and it seem like I just have cronic depression. I am currently taking strattera and Zoloft. I still feel tired during the day and have problems paying attention.

My mom claimed that when I took concerta during my teens I helped me focus. Also I have undiagnosed asbergers wonder if that has anything to do with some of my problems.

fracturedstory
05-20-13, 01:54 AM
I was able able to take concerta during my teens years at the lowest dose until I gradueted high school quite because food was not fun. Was off the medication until my last year of college when I became depressed because of a big course load. Finally saw a psychiatrist and he prescribed me the lowest dose of ritalin which knocked me from a depressed phase into a manic phase. Doctor put me on a low dose of adderrall which caused me to become extremely narcissistic eventially I quit taking the adderall because it was causing nasty headaches, anxiety attacks. I probably hit mania at certain times but could not tell. However ever it seemed to increase my fine motor control to the point that my hand would not shake and walking made me feel like I was pushing a button on a a machine. I could also multi-task and could sometimes think two thoughts simultaneously. It was easier to generate philosophical BS too. I could get high when I found my own thoughts amusing and winning at video games.

After I stopped taking adderall I went into a depression. Ended up sleeping a lot and waking up feeling tired. Eventually bipolar was ruled and it seem like I just have cronic depression. I am currently taking strattera and Zoloft. I still feel tired during the day and have problems paying attention.

My mom claimed that when I took concerta during my teens I helped me focus. Also I have undiagnosed asbergers wonder if that has anything to do with some of my problems.
Maybe your med sensitivity is because you're on the autism spectrum. Doctors still haven't noticed that we need really small doses. My highest dose is probably 15mg and well it made me manic. Unmistakably manic. Just feeling absolutely restless sitting down, got up ran around the place, did some physical chores, focus jumping around the place and then felt I had to write to get this awful feeling out of me.

Never again.

It might have been the equivalent of a 50mg dose for my friend. She takes 20mg x2 in a single dose and nothing like that happens to her. Then again, she is on Endone and Zyprexa and some other kind of anti-depressant.

irdo123
05-20-13, 02:10 AM
Thank you for your posts.

I also became manic on strattera so I guess there is a chance I am bipolar but havenīt noticed when I have been off medication because medication maybe amplifies it.

fracturedstory
05-20-13, 10:06 AM
Thank you for your posts.

I also became manic on strattera so I guess there is a chance I am bipolar but havenīt noticed when I have been off medication because medication maybe amplifies it.
I'm dealing with this too. I'm not sure what manic feels like without medication. Yesterday came close. And well tonight I've had a few glasses of wine without stimulants and I can't really tell the difference. One difference is I'm not sped up but I feel pretty much the same to how I am on stimulants.

amnesic pete
05-21-13, 03:48 PM
Maybe your med sensitivity is because you're on the autism spectrum. Doctors still haven't noticed that we need really small doses. My highest dose is probably 15mg and well it made me manic. Unmistakably manic. Just feeling absolutely restless sitting down, got up ran around the place, did some physical chores, focus jumping around the place and then felt I had to write to get this awful feeling out of me.

Do know of any websites or research that I can find about autism and med sensitivity the search engine seems unhelpful?

razielx33
09-23-13, 02:34 AM
This post is probably irrelevant, but...

I feel that methyphenidate is beneficial for "my" bipolar1. I "do" get hypomanic, but that happens with or without the methyphenidate. I don't consider hypomania a problem for me, because for me it just means that I'm doing a lot of computer programming and feeling ultra focused.

I have never gone full blown manic with methyphenidate, however Oxycontin has caused this to happen after just one prescription from a surgery.

When I am depressed, the methyphenidate doesn't do much.

methyphenidate has side effects such as cold extremities and feeling your heart beat and hives, but I choose to tolerate these things.