View Full Version : Think drugs are being used

mike2403if
04-21-13, 10:29 PM
WE have concerns that our daughter has started smoking weed. She was recently diagnosed with ADD and uses Adderall.

Any ideas how we manage this situation

Thanks

MellyFishButt
04-21-13, 11:27 PM
How old is she?

mike2403if
04-21-13, 11:32 PM
14 years old

MellyFishButt
04-22-13, 12:37 AM
Yikes. That's a very turbulent age. Does she go to a counselor for her ADHD?

sarahsweets
04-22-13, 04:15 AM
Have you asked her if she smokes pot? I mean ask her without sounding judgemental?

Mac181
04-22-13, 06:12 AM
"Honey, I know you think marijuana is safe, and compared to other illicit drugs its certainly not as likely to be harmful. However, early use of marijuana is strongly correlated in studies with a huge spike in probability in developing schizophrenia and psychotic symptoms. These issues are intimately linked to the dopamine system, which is exactly what you're dealing with with ADD and treating with Adderall. That puts you so much more at risk. Therefore, we strongly discourage marijuana use at this age, not because we're authoritarian, but because we doubt you want the massively inflated risk of developing lifelong schizophrenia. You can pick it up when the counterbalancing inhibitory neurons of the frontal cortex finish developing around the age of 20-22, though often later in people with ADD. We love you, honey."

I'm sure I've probably missed some scientific subtlety, but she's 14 and this is intentionally a scare tactic. :P

Zaashy
04-22-13, 06:32 AM
Weed is a gateway drug to methamphetamine especially for ADDers.

mike2403if
04-22-13, 07:41 AM
Yikes. That's a very turbulent age oes she go to a counselor for her ADHD?

Yes it it. She sees someone now and then to check medication. She is close to her counsellor at school so we will start there.

mike2403if
04-22-13, 07:42 AM
Weed is a gateway drug to methamphetamine especially for ADDers.

We think based on her social media she has tried E's too

dresser
04-22-13, 09:10 AM
It not what she is takin } more the "personal reason's" for taking "whatever"/ that's why most of us are "in Here" because we didn't/don't like being"there"

MellyFishButt
04-22-13, 10:47 AM
She's already done E? She needs to slow her roll (pun intended). I was lucky that it wasn't available in my small town growing up but e did more damage to my emotional regulation that anything else I tried in my 20's. what makes you think she has already done it?

dvdnvwls
04-22-13, 12:35 PM
what makes you think she has already done it?

He mentioned seeing her posts on social media.

mike2403if
04-22-13, 12:36 PM
It not what she is takin } more the "personal reason's" for taking "whatever"/ that's why most of us are "in Here" because we didn't/don't like being"there"

Totally agree, I think she has got in with the wrong crowd who are all doing that and is trying to be popular. Then as her parent I would say that and maybe there are deeper issues that have not surfaced yet. The ex boyfriend is one of the crowd she does this with.

mike2403if
04-22-13, 01:01 PM
She's already done E? She needs to slow her roll (pun intended). I was lucky that it wasn't available in my small town growing up but e did more damage to my emotional regulation that anything else I tried in my 20's. what makes you think she has already done it?

She posted something on her twitter account that made us thing she has done E.

mike2403if
04-23-13, 12:08 PM
We asked her last night if she had been smoking weed and you she originally denied it and then said she tried it once. As the conversation continued she said she had done it a few times.
We talked about stopping her hanging around with the wrong crowd who introduced her to drugs which went down like a lead ballon!!!
So we are looking at getting some counseling for her to try and find out what's going on.
During the chat it became clear that she is struggling at school down to the ADD and the fact she is in special ed with some really bad kids. Very low self esteem at the moment that we need to try and rebuild.

Themadcat945
04-25-13, 12:15 AM
Totally agree, I think she has got in with the wrong crowd who are all doing that and is trying to be popular. Then as her parent I would say that and maybe there are deeper issues that have not surfaced yet. The ex boyfriend is one of the crowd she does this with.

I went through that, I started smoking pot at 14 as well, was the crowd I was hanging around, and I did it to fit in, as that was the only crowd that accepted me, rest picked on me in school. Saying things like "I smell it on you, I'm not stupid" are the things that eventually got me to talk about it. It's generally easy to smell, can vary but if she doesn't smell girly or clean and its not cigs it's pot.

I didn't stop because of it, I stopped on my own tho. Because all's I was doing was going with the wrong crowds because of it, many of those people knew people that did acid, or shrooms, in large doses, and to be honest that scared the hell out of me, and being a very anti controversial person I didn't want to get into fights if i didn't have too, and those people were all rageaholics.

Best thing you can do in my opinion is use scare tactics, or if she takes the friendly approach better use that.

Is she the type to be afraid of getting caught? I Was, and you can use that to your advantage, by things you say, or if you are good with words and think you can talk it out of her you can try that.

I was in special ed too, and that worked worse for me because I just got bored in those classes, I could handle the normal classes level of teaching, I just was uninterested, that's the problem with most add/adhd, (not all but most) and no matter where I went, I was bored, and I knew i was nothing like the rest of those kids and took it to heart, and found a bad crowd that accepted me and the more I got neglected or made fun of, or picked on, the more I liked my new crowd.

I'm 32 now, I generally aimed for that crowd from 12-16, but ditched them all and stopped smoking pot at 16.

Themadcat945
04-25-13, 02:30 AM
Also wanted to say in extra to my post above since I can't seem to edit it, is that's when i needed my mom the most, was during my teenage years, she in fact made them the worst years of my life by hating me rather than helping me, all my mom did in those years was made me feel horrible and worthless and we already feel useless enough and picked on enough in those years because of our
"disability".

At least you are taking this route and trying to help, I'm glad you aren't giving up, Hang in there, she needs you more than ever now, and the friends shes hanging around now is proof of it. Will follow this thread to see how it's all progressing.

Maxi King
05-11-13, 08:11 AM
I'm 21, so I recently went through all of this within the last 5-6 years with my parents. They tried another tactic with me which worked surprisingly well to put a halt to my recreational drug use (although I had anxiety of developing addictions which also helped).

They knew I smoked cigarettes, pot, drank, and numerous other things because, well, I was a stupid teenager and they were my parents. They would occasionally bring up some story, health issue, or other depressing fact regarding substance use, and look it me with really concerned disappointed eyes, that look that just destroys you inside, and say "I really do hope you aren't smoking, I would just hate to see you do that to yourself." and then sometime down the road tell me they are proud of me for having discipline. My conscience did the rest of the work for them.

At the end of the day you can scare her, play mind games, put her in therapy, hell put her in jail. If she wants to smoke pot sadly she is going to do it until she does not want to anymore. I mostly stay away from drugs today thanks to educating myself about the pharmacokinetics of most recreational drugs and their effects (outside of the ******** propaganda the media provides) as well as my parents efforts; however, every once in a blue moon the occasional use of mushrooms or MDMA can be a nice break from reality. I find the break to be beneficial toward my emotional state.

Am I condoning her drug use or drug use by anyone at all? Absolutely not. My point from that last statement is even when properly educated about drugs, some of the brightest people still choose to use them whether it be habitually or recreationally. She is going to do what she wants to do. DO NOT put her in a situation where she feels as though drug use is payback against you. Don't tell her what's right, she knows whats right. Just let her remind herself what's right like my parents did to me. I wish you the best, and pray nothing more serious comes of the situation.

P.S. In this day and age, from recent experience, it's not peer pressure or trying to be "cool" that convinces others to join in. Drug use being rampant in this day and age on top of the media and government claiming that marijuana is "safe" by legalizing it is really making today's youth curious. More research has passed on MDMA, and all of the case studies done back in the 80's have been proven to be a farce. It can be safe in "CONTROLLED DOSES UNDER A DOCTOR'S SUPERVISION" should the FDA ever approve it as a Schedule II drug. Kids twist statements like these to make them feel like no harm can come from what they are doing without taking into account the possible side effects, what it's cut with, allergic reactions, what amateur cooked it in their bathroom, and other countless variables which would lead to serious harm. I didn't go through my drug use to be cool, I wanted to see what the fuss was about. Sheer curiosity, risk, thrill, or whatever you want to call it. Why be scared of something if you don't know what you should be afraid of? Some things I will always be afraid of like cocaine, methamphetamine, and heroin. She's doing drugs to get high and escape reality, not to be cool. I just hope the times she has used it was for fun and not desperation.

Hopefully this gave you some insight about what might be going through her head.

Darksanity
05-14-13, 04:21 AM
Hah I also started smoking weed at 14... By 15 I was smoking everyday. For me weed was an instant cure for the awful daily boredom. I wish I didn't smoke so much back then though since my brain was still developing and I believe it worsened both my ADHD and anxiety in the end.

But yeah if you push her hard she very likely may rebel and do it even more and probably not quit. My parents tried believe me haha. You could try to let her know you understand she might be bored and what not just let her know the dangerous effects it might have on her body and she might regret later. She's a girl so you could have better luck than with boys. But yeah definitely don't go like "YOU BETTER QUIT SMOKING WEED AND YOU WILL NO HANG OUT WITH YOUR POTHEAD FRIENDS OR ELSE **********..." :rolleyes:

Darksanity
05-14-13, 04:34 AM
P.S. In this day and age, from recent experience, it's not peer pressure or trying to be "cool" that convinces others to join in. Drug use being rampant in this day and age on top of the media and government claiming that marijuana is "safe" by legalizing it is really making today's youth curious. More research has passed on MDMA, and all of the case studies done back in the 80's have been proven to be a farce. It can be safe in "CONTROLLED DOSES UNDER A DOCTOR'S SUPERVISION" should the FDA ever approve it as a Schedule II drug. Kids twist statements like these to make them feel like no harm can come from what they are doing without taking into account the possible side effects, what it's cut with, allergic reactions, what amateur cooked it in their bathroom, and other countless variables which would lead to serious harm.
I would say that governments are still very anti-drug in most places. Once kids try weed they often realize drug propaganda is vastly exaggerated. They tend to extrapolate this to all drugs and ignore the difference between using and abusing.

I would also add that the drug war actually contributes in large part to youth being into drugs. When I was 15, a variety of drugs were much easier to obtain than BOOZE. Large public high schools are often DOPE STORES in North America. Considering I was 15 in 2005 I assume it's even worst now (kids have much better communication tools).