View Full Version : Breathing Exercise To Fall Asleep

Silvermoonstone
04-21-13, 11:26 PM
It may sound and feel silly, but it's actually a pretty helpful technique to help relax the tension in your muscles, and allow you to drift off to sleep more easily.

Here's how to do it:

1. Find a flat surface to lay down - not your bed, that's too soft. The floor can work best. You can use a mat if you wish.

2. position your feet about one foot away from your buttocks, with the flat of your feet on the floor. your toes should be pointing away from you. If your feet are too close to your buttocks, the muscles in your legs will still feel tense. You also can't have it too far from you. You need to find a medium.

3. Your feet shouldn't be touching together - keep them apart by a few inches. Make sure your heels are in line with each side of your buttocks.

4. Let your shoulders drop on the ground. Have your hands lay parallel to your body, with your fingers pointing the same direction as your toes, and palms facing the ground. Hands don't need to be flat.

5. Imagine your toes and fingertips to stretch out, reaching past your body. Just let them extend as you relax.

6. Now here's the breathing: breathe into your nose, using your stomach, not your lungs. You can do this by watching which part of your body actually rises - your chest or your stomach. If it's your chest, you're not doing it correctly. You can place an item on your stomach (like a book) to help see if it's rising or not.

7. Let the air out, making a 'Hisssss' sound, like a snake. Don't rush it! Just let the air push out by itself, without being forced.

8. Repeat steps 6-7 a few times until you feel relaxed

9. Next, when you breathe in (through your stomach), lift your buttocks until your body is completely straight, from your kneecaps to your shoulders. Slowly let it down as you breath out with the hiss. Your buttocks should be back on the ground by the time you finish breathing. Throughout this part, keep your back as straight as possible.

10. After doing step 9 a few times, repeat the process again, but this time, instead of keeping your back straight, when you release, allow your back to curve back down to the floor. Imagine each vertebrae in your spine to gently touch the ground, one at a time, as you lower your body.

11. When you feel as you're finished, roll to one side and push yourself up into a sitting position, to get up. Don't sit up right away from laying on the floor.

Do note: everyone's body is different. If you have back pain or stiffness, please don't force your body. This is meant to help you relax. This technique shouldn't strain your muscles, but if something feels off, you can always speak to an expert.

I hope this helps. Enjoy!

Mac181
04-22-13, 06:28 AM
Don't rush it! Just let the air push out by itself, without being forced.
Not to nitpick, but technically this is impossible. If your expiratory muscles were paralyzed, you'd die from asphyxia despite being full of air.

But I digress. I'm desperate enough with my sleep to try.