View Full Version : Lost my job, need advice

dual36
04-23-13, 04:16 PM
Out of some miracle i went from working at target to an aerospace company. My first obstacle i had to overcome was the fact that i smoke weed and well i was going to get drug tested. got synthetic urine passed and got an amazing job. I then learned i had health insurance so i could get back on my med regiment. The first month at my job was alright i had some small problems like i would literally forget a 3 digit number seconds after i was told. This began to become a common problem i kept facing and i was not on my meds. I was noticing my memory seems to wipe out after 3 days. so im finally able to get on my meds after being at the company for over a month. Complete 180 i began to take notes, paper work that one time took me over 2 hours to complete without my meds. On my meds i was done with all of it in less than 30 minutes. i felt i was excelling even tho i was also going to school full time and working 4am-12:30 monday-friday. Then out of the blue my supervisior calls me into her office and tells me "i feel ur not catching on fast enough, i dont have the confidence you can run the machine on your own." In my mind im thinking DA ***** r u serious the whole week before that i was on my own doing perfectly fine. i was then giving my last checks and told i could reapply under a different job title so thats my goal.

My question is should i disclose to my employers that im taking xanax and dexedrine to them??? My other question you think i could have defended my job by saying i have add and basically that first month i was all on my own to deal with it?

This is my biggest problem right here. i cant for the life of me stop consuming weed. i feel thats my main problem on why i lost my job. I feel the foggy memory is a result of the marijuana consumption. I live in California and well i love weed normally i sometimes smoke but i just stay constantly eating edibles. im 20 now and ive been smoking since i was 13 and for some reason i cant kick the habit. Any suggestions to try and quit???

sarahsweets
04-29-13, 02:19 PM
all the job stuff aside...you need to seriously take some steps to stop smoking weed. It clearly f**ked with your job. As far as disclosing your meds, absolutely do not tell your employer. I would ask the drug testing lab how to provide proof of a valid prescription (ahead of time) so when they screen your urine certain substances that get flagged they can cross check against what you have provided them. And disclosing adhd to an employer is risky IMO. If you say that you didnt live up to their standards because you have adhd after they have already decided to sack you it will do nothing to move them to keep you and may make it harder finding a different job in another department.

OH and the synthetic weed bit? BAD IDEA. If you get caught that will kill any chances of getting rehired.

Bazinga
04-29-13, 03:18 PM
What sarah said.

Disclose the minimum amount of information necessary to those who need to know when they need to know it.

In other words, just keep it to yourself. Nothing good will come of you telling them, trust me.

Blanched Dubois
04-29-13, 03:28 PM
Out of some miracle i went from working at target to an aerospace company. My first obstacle i had to overcome was the fact that i smoke weed and well i was going to get drug tested. got synthetic urine passed and got an amazing job. I then learned i had health insurance so i could get back on my med regiment. The first month at my job was alright i had some small problems like i would literally forget a 3 digit number seconds after i was told. This began to become a common problem i kept facing and i was not on my meds. I was noticing my memory seems to wipe out after 3 days. so im finally able to get on my meds after being at the company for over a month. Complete 180 i began to take notes, paper work that one time took me over 2 hours to complete without my meds. On my meds i was done with all of it in less than 30 minutes. i felt i was excelling even tho i was also going to school full time and working 4am-12:30 monday-friday. Then out of the blue my supervisior calls me into her office and tells me "i feel ur not catching on fast enough, i dont have the confidence you can run the machine on your own." In my mind im thinking DA ***** r u serious the whole week before that i was on my own doing perfectly fine. i was then giving my last checks and told i could reapply under a different job title so thats my goal.

My question is should i disclose to my employers that im taking xanax and dexedrine to them??? My other question you think i could have defended my job by saying i have add and basically that first month i was all on my own to deal with it?

This is my biggest problem right here. i cant for the life of me stop consuming weed. i feel thats my main problem on why i lost my job. I feel the foggy memory is a result of the marijuana consumption. I live in California and well i love weed normally i sometimes smoke but i just stay constantly eating edibles. im 20 now and ive been smoking since i was 13 and for some reason i cant kick the habit. Any suggestions to try and quit???

for what its worth i'd get them to give you a letter of recco and thank them while also saying you'd love some advice for your next career move...i'd love to see what happens
turn that beat around! if u don't ask u don't get :)

Flory
04-29-13, 03:30 PM
These road blocks are in place for a reason I wouldn't trust somebody with my level of impairment being a surgeon for instance. I would a) stop smoking weed its probably doing you and your add no good I do not personally condone using illegal drugs particularly when that individual is already struggling with or battling some form of mental health problem cannabis may in fact mimic a lot of ADHD symptoms how are you to truly know of a med I working or not or is even necessary if you continue to pollute your body and mind with Thc ?

Disclosing Adhd in most workplaces unless very impairing will probably not be helpful to you but if you are undergoing a drugs rest dishonesty and bending procedures particularly for a job relating to aerospace etc is massively risky if you want to keep your job in the first instance but what happens if you make a massive mistake don't have the additional guidance support etc that might be available to you ? My bet is that you'll get fired I think honesty is the best policy largely lying to an employer is a sure fire way of getting in to a mess if not today at some point in the future

I am telling you this because I've been the one that got sacked Etc things have a way of coming back and biting you in the ***

josh989
04-29-13, 03:34 PM
I agree with everyone, don't tell them anything they haven't directly ask for, nothing positive can come from it. However, if during the hiring process they asked if you were taking any medication that could affect your performace at work it's best to tell them. I'm not 100% sure what you do at work, but if it involves heavy machinery or driving you should tell them you're taking xanax.

As for the weed thing, you should probably just stop smoking. People like to act as if weed is a miracle plant that has no down sides, but the simple truth is altering your mental state on a regular basis by smoking weed is never going to be good for you.

Nate W
05-01-13, 07:39 PM
All you need is a willingness to do something different (that you normally would not do) and more of a desire not to smoke pot than the desire to smoke it. You may want to look into Narcotics Anonymous. Recovery should come first.

I would not tell them about Xanax use. It is a sedative and does not mix well with operating machinery. If they know that, you will never get that position back. It also causes memory problems. What dose and how long have you been taking it? It may not be the weed, or solely from the weed use.

Mentioning the dextroamphetamine for ADHD? Not sure if it would help. The decision to cut you loose as a machine operator may have been made. If you feel it is worth the risk of loss of consideration for another position with the company, I'd probably ask for another chance and mention the ADHD medication is now being used (don't say what it is unless asked).

--Nate

sarahsweets
05-02-13, 04:37 AM
Btw I didnt mean synthetic weed, I was talking about synthetic urine.

oneup
05-02-13, 04:22 PM
You could've mentioned it vaguely to the superviser, like that you were getting treatment for some issues, and that it took a while to get in to see a doctor. Maybe a white lie even, that you had been taking lots of benadryl, and were catching on slower than normal, but that you feel you caught on. It depends on the person...I rely on my gut instinct often. Some bosses are cool and understanding, others are hard asses. If you mention ADHD, people often look at that as an excuse, and obviously you can't mention the weed. If you get another interview, I wouldn't bring it up...

FWIW though if you quit weed your memory will start to improve gradually. It might take a while though. Weed started making me extremely paranoid, so for me it was easy to quit when I decided I was done with it. One thing that might help though is focusing on the benefits of quitting (can get a better job, better memory, save $$$). Quitting really helped me career wise.

That's cool that there is synth urine, I had never heard of that. Seriously weed should just be legal, but that is another discussion...