View Full Version : Lyrica - Too Good to be True?

tambourine-man
04-25-13, 10:45 AM
I began taking Lyrica one week ago, beginning with 75mg 2x daily and moving up to 150mg 2x daily as of today. My p-doc had prescribed Neurontin for generalized anxiety but it wasn't terribly effective. Lyrica is basically the more potent answer to Neurontin.

This is an odd and sort of miraculous substance. The first few days I took it I felt completely blissed out. It almost felt like an illegal, recreational substance. Now that I've adjusted I don't feel so euphoric but my anxiety is gone and my confidence is still up.

Can I expect diminishing returns? So far this just seems too good to be true. Anyone else been on it?

tambourine-man
04-27-13, 12:30 AM
Well, it's been a week and half now and I'm loving Lyrica! I realized I had been in an awful depression which it completely lifted. My Dexedrine is working better. My anxiety has vanished. My room is clean. I'm more outgoing and social.

I really hope this stays so awesome!

Lambeau
04-28-13, 03:47 PM
I use this medication for severe nerve damage and pain associated with it. I am pretty much pain free on it, and if I can finally get someone to believe I have adhd and that stimulants are what will work, I hope I have the same effects as you. As of now, still pretty on edge from psychiatrists continuing to drag me along. Gabapentin made me a horrible person, and Lyrica has given me no side effects, and I am opiate free because of the way it kills the nerve pain.

tambourine-man
04-29-13, 06:11 AM
There is always the chance that Lyrica's miraculous effects may have a shelf life. It seems there have been so many medications introduced to my ever changing cocktail, many of which had certain therapeutic benefits in the initial weeks or months, only to lose all noticeable effects some time early in the course of treatment. I REALLY hope this wonderful medication mental

This pill is an antidepressant, a mood stabilizer and

tambourine-man
04-29-13, 06:46 AM
There is always the chance that Lyrica's miraculous effects may have a shelf life. It seems there have been so many medications introduced to my ever changing cocktail, many of which had certain therapeutic benefits in the initial weeks or months, only to lose all noticeable effects some time early in the course of treatment. I REALLY hope this wonderful medication mental

This pill is an antidepressant, a mood stabilizer and

that jail no way.

tambourine-man
05-01-13, 12:31 PM
Three weeks (I think) in and I truly believe that, providing the med continues to have the same results, Lyrica is the best kept secret in psychopharmacology!

known_guy
05-05-13, 01:21 AM
I loved Lyrica for a multitude of reasons. Great for my anxiety and skin-picking habit, but don't know if that's an off-label indication even, or not.

Negative side effect for me was definitely increase in appetite and subsequent weight gain. It was pretty gnarly. I wondered if it messed with my cognition but I'm unsure.

tambourine-man
05-06-13, 02:58 PM
I loved Lyrica for a multitude of reasons. Great for my anxiety and skin-picking habit, but don't know if that's an off-label indication even, or not.

Negative side effect for me was definitely increase in appetite and subsequent weight gain. It was pretty gnarly. I wondered if it messed with my cognition but I'm unsure.

I do worry about cognitive blunting, but considering Lyrica has replaced my need for Prozac, Seroquel and PRN benzos I'm fairly confident that the overall cognitive impairment risks have been reduced. Anxiety reduction, mood lift and mood stabilization are significant.

However, I have noticed one downfall, namely that tolerance to nearly to nearly all beneficial effects will develop after as little as a few weeks, BUT taking just two day break brings all effects back. This isn't like an SSRI. It will work more or less immediately and if you stop taking it your symptoms will appear quickly.

Some have argued that Lyrica's capacity for inducing tolerance means it does not have any benefit over benzos but this is absolutely not the case because benzo tolerance is nearly impossible to shake and Lyrica tolerance vanishes in a couple days.

FocusPocus10
05-06-13, 03:14 PM
Why did you drop quetiapine for lyrica? What was wrong with quetia? I am liking it so far on 100mg.

tambourine-man
05-06-13, 03:51 PM
Why did you drop quetiapine for lyrica? What was wrong with quetia? I am liking it so far on 100mg.

Well, I still take it every now and then. It is guaranteed to put me to sleep which makes it great to have around but I noticed I since starting the Lyrica I'd been forgetting to take it because I've been getting sleepy without it. Lyrica is also a great mood stabilizer.

tambourine-man
05-06-13, 10:39 PM

Data from a series of Phase II and III placebo-controlled clinical studies in over 1,200 patients with generalised anxiety disorder suggested that Lyrica (pregabalin) was effective for this disabling disorder. In comparison with venlafaxine, pregabalin provided more rapid relief of psychic and somatic symptoms.
In comparison with alprazolam (a benzodiazepine), Lyrica (pregabalin) appeared equally effective in reducing somatic symptoms. Overall, these findings showed that Lyrica (pregabalin) combined the benefits of antidepressants and benzodiazepines. It appeared at least as rapid as benzodiazepines against somatic symptoms, while providing more rapid control of psychic symptoms than antidepressants.

FocusPocus10
05-07-13, 10:58 AM
Data from a series of Phase II and III placebo-controlled clinical studies in over 1,200 patients with generalised anxiety disorder suggested that Lyrica (pregabalin) was effective for this disabling disorder. In comparison with venlafaxine, pregabalin provided more rapid relief of psychic and somatic symptoms.
In comparison with alprazolam (a benzodiazepine), Lyrica (pregabalin) appeared equally effective in reducing somatic symptoms. Overall, these findings showed that Lyrica (pregabalin) combined the benefits of antidepressants and benzodiazepines. It appeared at least as rapid as benzodiazepines against somatic symptoms, while providing more rapid control of psychic symptoms than antidepressants.

what brand dex ir you taking? Notice any increase in tolerance to amphetamine since quitting quetiapine daily use?

tambourine-man
05-07-13, 02:40 PM
what brand dex ir you taking? Notice any increase in tolerance to amphetamine since quitting quetiapine daily use?

Just Barr right now. I still take the Seroquel sometimes if only for this reason. Lyrica seems to enhance ANY substance you take it with. I had a root canal and was given lortab. GOOD GRIEF!!! I was higher than a kite and had to cut the tablets in fourths. Lortab has never effected me this way.

known_guy
05-07-13, 11:14 PM
Ah, yes. I found that I had to up my Lyrica dose considerably quickly - almost as though the efficaciousness of it diminished and so I had to keep taking more until I maxed out. I felt pretty comfortable and stable by that point though. :)

tambourine-man
05-10-13, 01:57 PM
Ah, yes. I found that I had to up my Lyrica dose considerably quickly - almost as though the efficaciousness of it diminished and so I had to keep taking more until I maxed out. I felt pretty comfortable and stable by that point though. :)

Yeah, I feel like I could easily take the max dose of 300mg 2x daily but don't want to ask for a dose increase, especially if I'm just going to become tolerant to that dose.

What do you think? Dose this work like stimulants where you get to your therapeutic dose and you're stable?

dogluver358
05-11-13, 12:06 PM
I have a pain condition. I wish Lyrica worked for me. :( Instead I was one of the rare ones who became suicidal on it. :(

known_guy
05-12-13, 05:22 PM
Yeah, I feel like I could easily take the max dose of 300mg 2x daily but don't want to ask for a dose increase, especially if I'm just going to become tolerant to that dose.

What do you think? Dose this work like stimulants where you get to your therapeutic dose and you're stable?

Yes, I would say so. Well said, sir. :D

tambourine-man
05-14-13, 03:39 AM
My research indicates that Lyrica is indicated in higher doses (450-600mg) when used to treat anxiety. These doses are higher than those typically used for fibromyalgia and other neuropathic pain conditions.

I've also read many reports of higher than therapeutic doses resulting in strong euphoria, drunkeness, and even psychedelic effects. Comparisons to Ecstasy and GHB are common.

It is startling to think that a substance only approved for the treatment of neuropathic pain is an effective mood stabilizer, antidepressant and anxiolytic. Lyrica is the Ryan Seacrest of medications.

Lyrica is awfully unusual drug. I've made a video chronicling my progress on it. Check it out if you'd like...

http://youtu.be/DZkpS99K518

Twiggy
05-14-13, 03:49 AM
Great that it's working. You changed your name?

tudorose
05-14-13, 05:21 AM
They're saying that Lyrica can help block pain receptors in Fibromyalgia but after the 20kg weight gain on effexor XR in 2001 which I still can't shift I can't face going through that again.

known_guy
05-14-13, 09:44 PM
Makes sense, I was taking 300mg BID (for a while 150mg TID) because that's what it seemed I needed. The lower dosages just weren't quite enough for my anxiety.

FocusPocus10
05-15-13, 08:42 PM
What's the verdict on the issue of lyrica negatively affecting ADD? Also how much does it positively affect your mood? SSRI's and SNRI's make me lazy and unfocused among other sides but they definitely work on my mood. I'm wondering if lyrica is a good alternative for depression/anxiety.

tambourine-man
05-15-13, 10:17 PM
What's the verdict on the issue of lyrica negatively affecting ADD? Also how much does it positively affect your mood? SSRI's and SNRI's make me lazy and unfocused among other sides but they definitely work on my mood. I'm wondering if lyrica is a good alternative for depression/anxiety.

Lyrica is NOT sedating for me at therapeutic doses. In fact, it's quite stimulating and makes you very peppy and talkative, just removed enough to speak and interact without anxiety. My mood is both boosted and stabilized on it. It's better than an SSRI for depression, better than a benzo for generalized anxiety... but probably not panic disorder.

This is my new favorite chemical!!! Ha ha.

known_guy
05-17-13, 02:37 AM
I definitely have some fond memories of Lyrica. ^^v

tambourine-man
05-19-13, 06:03 PM
Well, I've been taking Lyrica a good spell now. Is it too good to be true?

Well, yes and no. I'm on a break from it for a couple days because tolerance is an issue. But I've found that a 2-3 day break (during which I take gabapentin) is enough to restore all the therapeutic benefits. This naturally means there are some limitations, but by and large I still consider it to be a remarkably useful substance. I really like the way I feel on it.

FocusPocus10
05-20-13, 09:53 PM

Well, yes and no. I'm on a break from it for a couple days because tolerance is an issue. But I've found that a 2-3 day break (during which I take gabapentin) is enough to restore all the therapeutic benefits. This naturally means there are some limitations, but by and large I still consider it to be a remarkably useful substance. I really like the way I feel on it.

Any experiences taking Lyrica without dexedrine/adderall? Have you been taking seroquel to sleep or does the Lyrica do the trick for that?

FocusPocus10
05-24-13, 01:51 PM
Ignore the second question I realize you already answered that, just wondering about the first thing (taking it without stims).

FocusPocus10
06-09-13, 08:28 PM

Haven't heard from you in a few weeks... how's the lyrica?

tambourine-man
06-12-13, 10:44 PM
Well, I must add that I no longer take Lyrica daily. It becomes completely ineffective after a month or so. However, it is still an amazing substance with so many unexpected uses.

I will also say, at the risk of being inappropriate, that this is a VERY recreational drug. I accidentally dosed twice one day early in treatment and I must say I've never felt anything so euphoric. Colors were bright, I stumbled about, all my senses felt so alive.

Weird drug. Very useful. It's certainly good for coming off almost any drug, even stimulants.

known_guy
06-17-13, 01:32 AM
Yes... after trying it myself I totally understood why Lyrica is a Schedule V substance. I believe that tolerance is said to ramp up rapidly when used for recreational purposes, so that's a preventative factor (abuse-potential) right there.

FocusPocus10
06-17-13, 03:22 PM
Well, I must add that I no longer take Lyrica daily. It becomes completely ineffective after a month or so. However, it is still an amazing substance with so many unexpected uses.

I will also say, at the risk of being inappropriate, that this is a VERY recreational drug. I accidentally dosed twice one day early in treatment and I must say I've never felt anything so euphoric. Colors were bright, I stumbled about, all my senses felt so alive.

Weird drug. Very useful. It's certainly good for coming off almost any drug, even stimulants.

so what do you take daily?

hollywood
06-25-13, 12:25 AM
Interesting about lyrica. I have very treatable social anxiety . It's nothing too terrible , it's like shyness with twists of performance anxiety and I am both a people person and to myself . Effexor changes that rapidly but there is cognitive trade off . Been debating cymbalta again . Maybe lyrica would help

hollywood
06-25-13, 09:11 PM
Go ahead and debrief me on lyrica

tambourine-man
08-08-13, 08:28 PM
Go ahead and debrief me on lyrica

OK, I haven't been on these forums in a bit so you'll have to forgive my belated reply here.

I still take Lyrica. Actually, I now take 150mg t.i.d. (450mg in total).

I stand by this drug. It has helped me a great deal in so many ways. I take it daily now without taking breaks. I have been on this dose for a couple months. I don't notice a "head change" like I would if I took breaks to reduce tolerance but I have greatly reduced anxiety, increased mood, and sustained energy. Good stuff!

hworth
10-09-13, 01:58 PM
Sorry to bump this old thread, but does anyone have ANY idea how much Lyrica to take daily with Vyvanse 60mg?? I can't find any information about it anywhere on the internet lol..

On a second note, if I was taking Adderall XR 30mg in the morning how much Lyrica/how many times a day would be good for anxiety on the Adderall? Will the drunk-like tired feeling of Lyrica eventually go away?

Thanks everyone! I hope to hear some good advice

Lizzie80
12-11-13, 01:20 AM
I take 50mg Vyvanse in the a.m. I know this is a bit lower than your dose, but I'll advise what I do, at least. I am Rx'ed two 300mg Lyrica a day. Because it causes weight gain (both water and fat), I usually only take one. I take Lyrica in the the late afternoon or early evening. I try to dose it after the Vyvanse peak, but before the dreaded comedown makes me an irritated loon. For me, this means anywhere from six to ten hours after Vyvanse. Lyrica relieves pain and anxiety for me. It is the bomb for helping one sleep like a baby, with no hangover. At least for me. I also credit it with getting me through a hel!ish job each day, a few years back. It is great for my fibromyalgia pain and a godsend for generalized anxiety, both of which can be crippling. It's chief downfall can be the financial cost. I don't take it in the a.m. anymore because it does affect memory a bit (not acceptable when I'm studying or at college). For a boring desk job, though, a.m. dosing was fine for me. Word to the wise- DO NOT drink alcohol on Lyrica. It will make you vomit after just a few drinks, even if under normal circumstances you can drink like a fish. Lyrica can also induce major munchies or sweets cravings. You've been warned. ;) YMMV.

janiew
12-11-13, 01:56 AM
Okay, I am diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and have lived with chronic pain for 16 years. I was prescribed gabapentin by my rheum-doc when I told her it's hard to deal with the physical pain, despite being medicated with Adderall, Prozac, and Intuniv for my other issues . She told me she doesn't prescribe narcotics, which I understand and was not seeking. Nor was I seeking benzos.

Anywho, she gave me a script for gabapentin and I accidentally took too many gabapentin one day - swear I was not abusing because I didn't know it had abuse potential - not that I care. Anyway, the accidental double dose reminded me of ecstasy / MDMA from back in the day. I only did MDMA a couple of times in college so I was VERY SURPRISED with the gabapentin results, as you can probably imagine.

I have not filled my script since...

Lizzie80
12-11-13, 02:21 AM
Oh yeah, these meds in VERY high doses do cause euphoria, an almost drunken disregard of inhibitions and major memory loss. It is very bad for someone to take this at a dose far beyond what they're prescribed. In NO way do I condone abuse of any drug or taking an Rx not prescribed for your use. I take my meds as prescribed, or lower if I can get away with it. But for someone with fibromyalgia, GAD or depression, Lyrica may help relieve unnecessary suffering.

Jshect
12-17-13, 12:47 AM
I have a feeling Lyrica is too good to be true for most of us, since only 1 or 2 people seemed to have posted that their experience was and continues to be miraculous. They are the lucky ones. I have a feeling, like most medications, a tiny amount of people have amazing results, while the rest who try them have mixed results and battle debilitating side effects. That's been my experience on nearly every medication. Big pharma promotes every drug like it's a panacea but none really are.

Lizzie80
12-17-13, 01:30 AM
Lyrica's most negative side effects are typically weight gain (and I don't mean just five pounds!) plus brain fog. But for diabetic neuropathy, which often leaves people in excruciating pain, they often accept those side effects as the price they must pay to live in less agony. Same with fibromyalgia- the pain relief it provides can eliminate insomnia and allow people with it to live a semi-normal life. I speak from experience.

The "high" (euphoria) people feel definitely goes away. For many of us, though, the pain relief DOES last. I've been on it three years. For fibromyalgia pain relief, it works just as well as it did when I was first on it. It makes college, work, cleaning and caretaking possible by easing my pain. Is my experience typical? I don't know. I've personally never needed to up my dosage with Lyrica. Tolerance doesn't seem to be an issue, which is different from most meds, IME. I do take days off from it, though. Because it puts on weight, I only take it when pain overtakes me. Not everyone can stand to do that.

This drug is not a miracle in the sense that it provides complete pain relief without side effects. To the best of my knowledge, NO such drug is available. All drugs have side effects. But to live a normal life with a chronic pain condition, in that sense Lyrica IS a miracle drug. YMMV. And I'm not promoting the med to others, really. It just happens to work well for me.

BenHawkins
02-11-16, 03:47 AM
I've been on Lyrica for a week now. I have ADHD and currently off ritalin (it works for me but only at high doses). Lyrica seems to be an amazing drug. At 600mg a day my anxiety and mood definitely improved. And with that also my focus. It does stabilize my mood to the point I realized I was getting somewhat depressed. The strong kinda recreational effect I got on the first dosages of 600mg disappeared in a couple of days but the lasting effect for hours of great mood is very stable for now. As for the weight issues regarding Lyrica use, I actually enjoy it as I am a bodybuilder and currently bulking. In a month or so I will just close my mouth :D. Also some pain from the gym on a shoulder disappear while on Lyrica. It does not correct the focus as ritalin does, but it helps a lot on the anxiety related issues.