View Full Version : Day Planner

christysmom97
02-04-05, 09:15 PM
Howdy all! I am new to the whole ADHD thing...and am just relieved to find out there has never been anything inherently wrong with my scattered personality, just my brain :). Now...I am the most disorganized person I know...and even on meds I don't have the patience to sit down and read instructions or do anything too remotely complicated (if it's uninteresting). I have tried day planners before and have always found them too tedious and big. I am looking for something idiot proof, easy, and small to carry in my purse. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks so much!!

Mary

exeter
02-05-05, 03:39 AM
I'd actually recommend an inexpensive PDA rather than a day planner. You can get something like a Palm Zire for about the cost of a day planner. They're relatively easy to learn to use-- I learned to use mine by playing around with it. I didn't read the instructions until like 2 months ago, and I've had the thing for 5 months. :D (Ok, I read the quick start guide, but that doesn't really count.)

A basic model starts at around $30, and they go up from there.

christysmom97
02-05-05, 08:09 AM
Thank you so much exeter! I appreciate the feedback. I think I have one...will have to dig it out and give it a try again :)

Mary

Nucking_Futs
02-05-05, 08:27 AM
I just use a small notebook they cost about fifty cents so I don't beat myself over the head if I happen to lose it. And everything I write in it during the day...dates, meetings, phone numbers, etc gets put onto my big calandar at home just so I can cross reference before my day starts. And I lose about 2 a month.

christysmom97
02-05-05, 08:53 AM
I use a big calendar in my kitchen too...when I remember to look at it-LOL

Mary

Nucking_Futs
02-05-05, 09:22 AM
Mine is posted on my door...I can't help but look at it and I don't really care if others see it as long as I don't keep forgetting appts. anymore.

Scattered
02-06-05, 02:22 AM
I just use a small notebook they cost about fifty cents so I don't beat myself over the head if I happen to lose it. And everything I write in it during the day...dates, meetings, phone numbers, etc gets put onto my big calandar at home just so I can cross reference before my day starts. And I lose about 2 a month.
Thanks for sharing that! :D I just got myself a small notebook and lost it before the week was out. :o I was using it pretty much like you were. Maybe I need to buy a large package of them, so I'll have more when I lose the next one!;)

I keep a calendar on my refridgerator too -- I simply don't make appointments if I don't have that there. I also cross off the days so I'm sure to look at what I wrote there. For a while my daughter wanted to cross the days off until Christmas, and I let her until I missed a really important appointment -- a birthday party for her best friend :eek: Now only I am allowed to mark thing off the refridgerator calendar, and I bought my daughter her own calendar!

Scattered

auntchris
02-06-05, 04:04 AM
I use a small calendar for my purse so if Im at the dr office I write down when my next appt is . I hate those small card, I always loose them any way. I also, have a calendar in the cupboard door. It is the first thing I look at in the morning. I have to go to the kitchen to take my med so that is a sure fire way I wont miss an appt.
auntchris

exeter
02-06-05, 06:02 AM
The problem I have with notebooks and day planners is that they don't remind me to look at them. A PDA can. :) Also, because my PDA was pretty costly, I tend to keep very good track of it -- more so than I would even a $30 or $40 day planner. I've got myself to the point where basically all my important information is stored in there, so if I were to lose it, I'd be screwed... which helps motivate me to keep track of it as well. Basically, it never leaves my sight unless I'm at home, and rarely, if ever, leaves my person or my car if I'm out.

Zena
02-08-05, 04:55 PM
I have a large AT A Glance calender I use, it also has a place for note taking. Also, I have this cute little red pocket calender that I forget to use. Most of the tme I look at the large calender and jot down what I need to do on a post it.

christysmom97
02-08-05, 04:59 PM
That's what I currently use. I have bought 3 planners and 2 PDA's in the past and consistently forgot to use them....sigh. I'll keep looking I guess!

motorbrain
03-08-05, 06:16 PM
I'm a Franklin Covey user. I don't like the PDA's, I realized I was just using it to store phone numbers. So I just put them all in my cell phone and don't even use the PDA anymore.

Just my observations but just pulling PDA's out, starting them up and dealing with poor handwriting recognition software just completely goes against my grain. I want instant access, easily retrievable info and day to day info management. The pda's just can't keep up with me - but the franklin moves at my pace.

It's the one thing that I never leave behind.

jog56
03-08-05, 07:09 PM
The problem I have with notebooks and day planners is that they don't remind me to look at them. A PDA can. :) Also, because my PDA was pretty costly, I tend to keep very good track of it -- more so than I would even a $30 or $40 day planner. I've got myself to the point where basically all my important information is stored in there, so if I were to lose it, I'd be screwed... which helps motivate me to keep track of it as well. Basically, it never leaves my sight unless I'm at home, and rarely, if ever, leaves my person or my car if I'm out.
Ifeel the same way about my PDA. Keep in mind most PDAs can easily be backed up by a computer with one touch of a button.

bnsforu2
03-08-05, 08:19 PM
poormans pda.

Yahoo calendar.

Print our daily page.

See your appointments for the day.

Then throw it away.

Of course the original is online in yahoo calendar.

Which can sync to a pda if applicable to pda users.

I dont like the pda.

but i like a laptop.

but, i use 1 printed sheet for the day at a time.

then review online for the day in the mornings.

1 piece of paper is all I have to carry.

:)

P

ps. well, this is my idea for this month.
So far its working.
Ask me in 3 months!!!!

Slowpoke
03-17-05, 02:41 PM
Hi all!
I have searched long and hard for a planner layout that suits my ADHD needs of being able to see the "big picture" but needing to see the details at the same time.

I found a web store that sold a really cool layout planner, but it cost a lot, so I just made my own version.

I can't remember the website though... but basically, the planner becomes like a process. You work from the top of the page downwards. You have the first 1/4 of the page as columns, making up your own categories of things in your life (home, career, school, calls, medical...) and list those tasks. Then, the next two sections are for the days... the part A for the daily columns is a checklist, where you take each item from the list above and assign it to a particular day (you can move it for the next week). When you've assigned it, you cross it off the top list. The bottom part of the planner is a time slotted schedule. I have mine set up in 30-min sections. Here, you block off appointments (colour coding is a good idea) and things that occur on a regular basis. Then you take each of the things in the to do list and assign it in a time slot. When it's done, you can check it off.

I have the files on my computer if anyone would like them.

SassyVal
10-25-05, 03:49 PM
Hi All~

I have to say that I LOVE ADD Planner. I have the software on my PC, so it pops up reminders to me throughout the day (I work from home as a graphic designer, so it is perfect). I just got a new laptop, so I will be putting it on there as well. You can also download a version for PDAs.

You can print out your daily calendar, set up reminders for everything... have "pop-up" reminders (word files telling you to do such-and-such) and it talks to you as well. The cool thing about the pop-up reminder is that it comes up over the top of everything else you are doing, so you can't miss it. There are still some features it doesn't have, but the developers are very responsive to requests, especially if it is something that several people are wanting. They have a forum for tips and tricks and feedback as well. I posted about it in another thread as well, so all y'all may have seen that post.

For when I am AWAY from home, like running errands in town or whatever, I have a copy of the planner page so I know what appointments I have, if I have more than one, and I also carry around a notebook to write stuff down in. It is divided into sections: "Home", "Business", "Personal", "Medical" so that I can write stuff down as it comes up if I am away. Then I transfer stuff to my electronic caledar when I get home if necessary.

Just a thought: Maybe having a larger notebook would help it not get lost. It is easy to misplace those small spiral-bound ones, but if it is say 5x7 or so, then it is more noticable if you leave it behind. Then have your name and a contact number in it so it can be returned.

Crybaby1898
10-25-05, 04:20 PM
my father is not add but my mother is. My father however is very forgetfull. so he carries a planner and that sometimes doesn't work for poeple. he also as a calender on the computer as well as his walls. i used to carry a planner when i went to school and now i find the thing very useless.

justhope
10-25-05, 04:54 PM
I will have to try the palm thing....didn't know they were so cheap...

For home..I use the calendar...my big bulky planner..I forget to look at...

At work..my saving grace is my outlook calendar...it pop;'s up my reminders...so I never miss calls, conferences...meetings..and I put my appt's , kids appts etc on it too..I start a week before, all the way up until the afternoon before I leave...I havne't forgotten one yet that way....

Hope

AddysonsMom23
12-14-05, 02:50 PM
i have a franklin covey that I really like. You can go to target and get there line by franklin covey which is much more cheaper ($10.00) Where can you buy a PDA for $30.00 the cheapest I have seen is 80.