View Full Version : Help me get my thoughts straight before I meet with the teacher

swimmom
04-29-13, 04:16 PM
My son is 17 yo, a junior. He was diagnosed with ADHD in kindergarten. He is on Daytrana and Wellbutrin. His main challenges are organization, time management, prioritization, and planning. His standardized test scores have always been strong, even in math. His grades are progressively weaker each year.

He is in Algebra II this year and did fine first semester. This semester he had bronchitis in January and missed five days. He got into a hole and hasn't found his way out.

He has a 504, but it's only for additional time on tests and to get alternate oral assignments. Doesn't apply much to Algebra.

This teacher doesn't grade daily homework. She assigns it, and the kids are expected to do it, but she doesn't grade it. 80% of the grade is quizzes and tests.

My son has an F. I've become aware of many, many other students who are struggling in her class. He has less than a month in the school year left. I can't believe I'm hoping he can get a D at this point.

I've asked for a meeting with the teacher, his counselor, and his study hall teacher (he's in a special needs study hall). We're meeting Thursday after school.

I don't even know what to say, or what my agenda should be. What are your thoughts?

LynneC
04-30-13, 08:48 AM
My son is 17 yo, a junior. He was diagnosed with ADHD in kindergarten. He is on Daytrana and Wellbutrin. His main challenges are organization, time management, prioritization, and planning. His standardized test scores have always been strong, even in math. His grades are progressively weaker each year.

He is in Algebra II this year and did fine first semester. This semester he had bronchitis in January and missed five days. He got into a hole and hasn't found his way out.

He has a 504, but it's only for additional time on tests and to get alternate oral assignments. Doesn't apply much to Algebra.

This teacher doesn't grade daily homework. She assigns it, and the kids are expected to do it, but she doesn't grade it. 80% of the grade is quizzes and tests.

My son has an F. I've become aware of many, many other students who are struggling in her class. He has less than a month in the school year left. I can't believe I'm hoping he can get a D at this point.

I've asked for a meeting with the teacher, his counselor, and his study hall teacher (he's in a special needs study hall). We're meeting Thursday after school.

I don't even know what to say, or what my agenda should be. What are your thoughts?
Is tutoring available at the school? Maybe at study hall time?

If she (the teacher) says that there is no way he can bring his grade up will he have to repeat Algebra 2 in his senior year?

sarahsweets
04-30-13, 10:44 AM
If he has a diagnosis of ADHD I urge you to consider an IEP. THe schools seem to acknowledge the IEP's much better than the 504's.

swimmom
04-30-13, 03:31 PM
I failed to mention he's been working with a tutor all year. The tutor says he "gets" things with him and is able to do the work.

zette93
05-01-13, 07:58 PM
Do you think he's mastered the work or is he struggling? Are his grades on the quizzes and tests comparable? Is he getting extra time on the quizzes?

swimmom
05-22-13, 04:01 PM
He dropped Algebra II. Took the F. Will have his tutor re-teach him this summer. Will take the class as a block class next fall to replace the grade.