View Full Version : Arrrggghhhhhhhh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

salleh
04-30-13, 11:34 AM
.....It's not the thickening middle, it's not the wrinkles that don't go away with a good night's sleep, it's not the pain in the joints that make you feel old ......nope ....it's getting a new devise, and getting it home and then can't figure it out ...at all ....and the book is no help .....

.....I find myself in my usual annoying situation .....where I need to do something ....but steps leading up to taking care of that business need to be done first .....

...I need to find a car, the cheap way, i.e. good old craigslist, which means you prolly gotta call someone, or text them, or at least have a phone they can reach you with .....

....My old phone wasn't used the whole 6 months I was in Michigan .....( did I mention I hate phones ?) it's the lowest price pay as you go, and I have 600 minutes but no time left on it .....unusable unless I top it off......

....However, I really need to get a phone that can use a card reader for people who want to charge something at the flea market, did almost 500 bucks in that last weekend and had to ask Mike to use his ....don't wanna do that if I can possible avoid it .....

....So friend Pam and I are off to Best Buy to get me a phone , yah ! .....I got an andriod type for about 70, and a 35 month plan that gives you 300 minutes ( waaaaaaaay more than I'll ever need ) but the selling point of this plan and this company is that you get unlimited connection to the internet ....now you're talking !

.......so the guy gets it registered and the first 35 is taken care of .....and I head home to charge that sucker up ...yah ....I am up with the latest ( ok, maybe not the latest , but at the very least it's current ?) it takes overnight the first time you charge it up ....and I got up bright and early, checked out the cars I want to call on .....good ole craigslist....and got the phone out and immediately ran into the first problem ......

....I can turn it on ....and unlock it ....and I run into trouble from that point on .....I am supposed to find the launch button for some reason,....oh yah to program it .....( I got a paper like they give you when you've had surgery, all my account info and then program your phone in 8 easy steps)

....I can't figure out step #1 ...great .....

......no phone calls to check out cars this morning ...nope, this morning I am going to have to walk 5 blocks to the bus stop ( but emeryville does have a free bus hopper !) and go down to that best buy and throw myself on the kindness of the teenagers in the phone department for a complete lesson on how to use the dam*** thing ! .....

......when they write those handy instruction books, and give you a nice instruction paper, they assume that you will understand the terms and icons they are talking about .....

...step #1 says tap the launcher icon ,......what is the launcher icon ???? a little rocket sitting on the launch pad ????? you hit the button and the little rocket takes off ???

.....I have a DSLR .....dont' know how to use half the functions and the book for that is 3/4 inch thick ....the book for this phone, ( this phone being at the very least, equal to the complexity of that camera) is 58 pages, and it's about 4" by 5" ....so it is liable and seems to be, although I don't know enough to tell, the merest basics of using this phone .....

.....oh the joy of technology ! .....but at least I do use a laptop, and the touchpad ....not a mouse ...so I am used to waving my fingers around to make stuff on the screen do stuff.....but I do have a built in aversion to putting my fingers on the actual screen......that could take some time before I stop wincing as I do that !

......so if any of my friend out there in ADHD land read this ...could you please hold a good thought for me that the delay in getting those phone calls made to ask about those cars ( remember the car I need? ....which started this whole magilla about the phone ) ....doesn't prevent me from getting my hearts desire ....which is a mercedes 300te stationwagon for $1000 .....I WANT that car ......:D

SquarePeg
04-30-13, 11:40 AM
Ask a teenager, they know everything!! They won´t have the patience to explain it to you but they will do it in 5 seconds

salleh
04-30-13, 03:11 PM
UPDATE : ...got myself dodwn to the Best Buy and other than I think we ended up putting 2 $35 cards in for one month, I think I have it sorta figured out now .....nice lady there did the installing the programs and showed me lots of the things you need to know in order to use the phone ....

whew !

Lunacie
04-30-13, 04:12 PM
I got a new phone at the start of 2013, simple one but several things I
couldn't figure out. I went online and found lots of helpful stuff, and even
videos! I'm a real techno-phobe, so scared to learn new techie stuff!