View Full Version : Music Man

allegro
02-06-05, 04:20 AM
I was in the music store today, looking for something new. There was a man there listening to music on the store's headphones. I looked over at him. He was completely lost in the music, dancing and tapping his foot. I smiled thinking how wonderful it was to see someone so alive. Just as I was thinking that he could just care less of what others may think, he started to play a long riff on his air guitar.

I couldn't help but chuckle to myself. My day was a bit brighter just having seen his display. Here I was, rushing to get finished so I could make it to work on time. I was sure not to feel as good as he did for the next eight plus hours.

As I was checking out, I heard him yell several times for someone to get away from him and leave him alone. I thought surely no one would bother him as happy as he seemed to be. I looked over to him. There was no one there, but him. He continued to argue with this no one and then turned his back to his imagined aggressor.

The cashier said to me that they had been attempting to contact mall security to have him removed. I wanted to ask if dancing was a crime, but I knew it was the yelling that unnerved her and the rest of the staff. As quickly as the thought went through my mind, she said "He has frightened all our customers away. You seem to be the only one that isn't bothered by him."

I just smiled and thanked her. Maybe that young man did have more problems than were immediately evident on the outer surface, but I can tell you one thing. We all need a dose of that energy that makes us forget that there is anything else in the world. We also need the courage to tell whatever it is that steals it from us to leave us alone, even if it's just for a little while.