View Full Version : Checkbook register

Wisefolly
05-03-13, 12:13 AM
Can anyone recommend a good checkbook register app for the iPhone? I'm not looking for a budgeting solution - at least not just yet; those have all been too complicated so far. I'm just looking for a solution, the more automated and the more reminders, the better. I've been having a heck of a time making sure I don't overdraw my account because I haven't been keeping up a register, and the fees are killing me!

Weimaraner
07-01-14, 07:40 AM
fwiw I have always used my credit card for purchases because it keeps me from overdrawing and simplifies my daily life (I don't have to spend time keeping track of my checking balance all day every day). Ever since I overdrew my checking account multiple times when I was a teenager, I've ditched the debit card for purchase and only write checks when there's no other options. I also opt to put automatic payments on my credit card if at all possible and don't setup automatic payments that debit from my checking account. And for those payments that I have to either write a check for, or do a checking account debit transaction for, I setup reminder emails with Remember The Milk (https://www.rememberthemilk.com/) so I don't forget to manually go make the transaction. This way I remember to make payments and always am aware of what transactions are taking place against my checking account.

If you have a hard time keeping your spending under control when using a credit card, then this technique probably isn't for you. You must pay off your full credit card balance every month! This is key!

Hope that helps!

OhLookABunny
12-02-14, 08:18 AM
Chiming in - I'm in the process of changing my entire system because I finally got the Samsung Galaxy Android tablet I've been drooling over for months.

Mind, I have OCD as well as ADD. Some people say that that means you're a perfectionist for a very short time. True, but the corollary to that is that you spend a lot of time being frustrated because the order you crave like a drug remains out of reach. :( I have always loved inventing systems, too. FWIW, if it has that much validity, I'm an INTJ on the Meyers-Briggs test and I read somewhere that's one of the traits. Whatever.

What was this thread about? :confused: Oh yes, checkbook registers. Don't worry, I'm getting to that in my roundabout way. So all my life I've used the standard paper checkbook registers. Many of them start out neat on the first page or so then end up looking like chicken scratchings. I would reconcile my bank statements when I was younger (I had an organized Mom who taught me how, and more money and more spare time then).

When I moved out on my own, things started to go downhill. I got crazy busy, the ADD started to catch up with me though I didn't have a diagnosis till age 35 - and in college I made the fatal acquaintance of credit cards. As Weimaraner rightly points out, one should only have them if one can pay them off every month. But silly little me thought they were a way to live beyond my means but that I'd be able to catch up. WRONG! :mad: I was so clueless about compound interest and such things. And I was having so much trouble too with my anxiety and ADD wreaking havoc on attempts to hold down a job.

I could spend another page describing that particular hell but let's just say that as the financial stresses increased, so did the disorganization in all areas of life. I bought more stuff I didn't need, and had more bills and juggling as a result. My recordkeeping suffered - partly from being in denial. I didn't know how much in the hole I was and I didn't want to know. :faint: As for the checkbook, it got to where I only reconciled it every few months, I'd make errors and go nuts and add more chicken scratchings in the register finding and correcting them. Then I began letting it go unreconciled for years, then never.

So a bankruptcy and getting on disability later, I'm a work in progress. I'm finally embracing the business of budgeting, which repelled me during my credit addiction years. But now, in my OCD perfectionism, I still very much want to reconcile the register with the bank statement, and track budget categories. So I made a spreadsheet. With the advent of online banking I'm keeping more on top of how much money I have. And now I'm going to use my tablet to keep my checkbook register and ditch the paper registers forever! :yes:

What I plan to do is, each day collect the receipts in the tablet case, then enter them at night in the register, and back it up. If I happen to have spare moments and there's wi-fi, I might even enter the receipts during the day. For years I had trouble with forgetting to write things in that old paper register. I got the "carbonated" checks which helped some. But ATM or debit card transactions - I had to form the habit of writing them in before swiping the card (ignoring the dirty looks from customers behind me in line :o and patiently explaining to clerks "No, it's not a check, it's debit card; I'm just writing it in.").

It's gonna be soooo nice . . . apologies for the long-winded post, but I'm so excited about this new system! :D

So what I'm using in terms of an app is the spreadsheet in Hancom Office that's like Microsoft Excel. That might be more complex, OP, than you want to go - I'm not sure which reminders you're looking for in a phone app . . . do you mean reminders to write things in, or reminders to reconcile with statements each month, or . . . ?