View Full Version : Self Regulation and Emotions

mildadhd
05-03-13, 01:22 AM

Self regulation requires the coordinated activities of anatomically separate brain areas,

along with the benign dominance of the upper, more recently evolved regions of the brain over the lower ones.

The oldest part of the brain--and the most essential for life--is the brain stem,

where the primitive survival impulses of the "reptilian brain" arise and where basic autonomic functions are controlled,

including--among others- hunger, thirst, cardiovascular and respiratory drives, and body temperature.

The newest part of the human brain is the neocortex in the front of the brain.

Cortex means "bark", as in bark of a tree,

and refers to the thin rim of grey matter enveloping the white matter of the brain.

Made up largely of cell bodies of nerve cells, or neurons,

the cortex processes the most highly evolved activities of the human brain.

This prefrontal cortex modulates our responses to the world not in terms of primitive drives but in terms of learned information about what is friendly,

neutral or hostile and what is socially useful and what is not.

It functions include impulse control, social-emotional intelligence and motivation.

Much of the regulating work of the cortex involves not the initiation of actions but the inhibition of impulses arising in the lower brain centers.

Mediating between the regulatory processes of the cortex and the basic survival functions of the brain stem is the limbic emotional apparatus.

the limbic system includes structures located between the cortex and brain stem but also encompasses some parts of the cortex...

Emotions interpret the world for us.

They have a signal function,

telling us about internal states as they are affected by input from the outside.

Emotions are responses to present stimuli as filtered through the memory of past experience,

and they anticipate the future based on our perception of the past.

Gabor Mate, M.D., When The Body Says No: The Biology Of Loss, p 206.

i!i

G252013
05-25-13, 11:13 PM
Never heard of Dr Mate but have pretty much come to the same conclusion on my own readings/research/self pondering