View Full Version : Can't be medicated for ADHD because of heart condition, how does zoloft effect ADHD?

Themadcat945
05-04-13, 03:18 PM
I have electrical issues of the heart, and am on beta blockers for that, and I am currently not medicated for ADHD because of that. However, I am firmly believing that because of my lack of medication that this agoraphobia, social anxiety, and panic disorders have flared up because of that and a mixture of natural depression and anxiety. However! I would love to fix my issues of my anxiety, but I've heard zoloft had some pretty adverse affects on people with ADHD and taking stimulants, however, I haven't seen many on how it affects people that "aren't" being medicated for ADHD.

Also from what I've seen from a few other posts here, that zoloft - Zoloft is an ssri with dopamine reuptake inhibiting abilities as well from one member, and Certain older meds in this class (Prozac, Zoloft) are *less* selective... but I don't think they decrease dopamine levels.. I suspect they're more likely to increase them - was from another member. So does that mean it helps a little with ADHD?

SSRI's will create additional problems with motivation is what I've heard. And from browsing here, and other forums, it has increased aggression, I know this is true for a side affect for almost all anti depressants/anxiety medications etc. And I have definitely seen more threads and more posts on wellbutrin benefitting. I was just wondering who is un medicated currently and has seen any benefit to their ADHD. Or anyone that knows more on the biological side of things can inform me, I know dopamine and other things play a role.

This was posted from a website on ADHD and medications.

One explanation for the three subtypes of attention deficit disorder is that patients have different levels of neurotransmitters, which alter their behavior. In particular, ADHD patients have variations on the transporter genes for these neurotransmitters. For example, patients with predominantly inattentive ADHD had changes to their norepinephrine transporter gene, which affects norepinephrine levels in their brains. Patients with predominantly hyperactivity-impulsive ADHD had changes to their dopamine transport gene, thus affecting dopamine levels in the brain. medications on the market for ADHD target these particular neurotransmitters. Stimulants such as Ritalin and Adderall increase dopamine by blocking its transporter; nonstimulants, such as Strattera, also increase norepinephrine by blocking its transporter. However, patients with combined ADHD have altered transporter genes for a different neurotransmitter. Vanderbilt University Medical Center notes that combined ADHD patients have an altered choline transporter gene. Choline, the precursor to acetylcholine, also influences neural communication, like norepinephrine and dopamine. However, no medications for ADHD currently on the market target this neurotransmitter.

However, since I can't be medicated for ADHD, at least not currently, was wondering any/everyones view on this. Thanks in advance!

silivrentoliel
05-04-13, 03:23 PM
For the last two years, I've been taking Zoloft and ADHD meds, and did fine. In the last week, I was taken off everything except my Zoloft (due to pregnancy, not a heart issue) and while it does NOTHING for my ADHD, the anxiety and panic is managed really well. Can't function worth a crap at the moment ^_^ but that's another story ;)

Blanched Dubois
05-04-13, 03:49 PM
A nice person here asked me to check out this; i've had little luck from meds for a long time which is why i give up on them...so just checking this out...

Amygdala Clicking or Clicking Forward as it's also called, is one of the most amazing practices I've ever come across. I've only been doing it for a little over a year and it's already become a truly life-changing experience. At the same, it's incredibly easy to learn and do.

You can learn it for free at this website: Amygdala Amazing Brain Adventure- Neil Slade amygdala, frontal lobes, release, cure and alleviate anxiety and depression; increase Creativity, Intelligence, Pleasure, Music

Although I highly recommend buying the book "Frontal Lobes Supercharge" for a clearer understanding of how to do it and why you would want to.

But I think everyone will find the following link especially interesting: Whole Brain Super Sex-Neils Slade's Amazing Brain Music Adventure

I can personally attest that what he's saying is true. Clicking Forward can produce MMO's, even if you're just sitting around watching TV, with your clothes on!

The Aneros, KSMO, Amygdala Clicking, and Brainwave Entrainment to compliment and greatly enhance the others in pursuit of MMO's.

I listen to Tom Kenyon's and Jonathon Goldman's work with sound healing...to ease anxiety etc

Twiggy
05-04-13, 04:14 PM
I haven't taken Zoloft, but did take Celexa for a few days and Luvox for a few days. Mainly for Social Anxiety.

I've been on celexa for 5 days when I was taking Ritalin in the past. I had a rapid heart rate and a panic-y feeling.
I think it was the combo that made me feel panic-y.

Luvox on it's own made me feel really weird. Kind of tired and mildy dissassociated, but it helped my social anxiety like no other.

Fortune
05-04-13, 06:06 PM
Zoloft does wonders for my anxiety and panic attacks. It does nothing for ADHD.

This is pretty much what Silivrentoliel said, because that is often how it is with Zoloft. :)

Asylum
05-04-13, 06:16 PM
Zoloft was a waste of time for me.

Lunacie
05-04-13, 07:36 PM
I take an ace inhibitor for my high blood pressure - and I've been taking
generic Zoloft (sertraline) for over a year. I don't take ADHD meds but am
lucky enough to have found that Omega 3 (fish oil) supplements work well
for my focus.

So ... I have not felt that Zoloft helped my ADHD, but not feeling anxious
all of the time has helped me a lot personally. My aggression or temper
has been much less of a problem since starting the Zoloft.

Themadcat945
05-04-13, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the replies, I have just read some it had made their ADHD worse, since some had said zoloft had been a slight inhibitor of some things and some said it had made their adhd worse, but that was also while on ADHD meds by itself, and some said it made them like a zombie both on and off ADHD meds. So I was just double checking here, especially on the anger side of things. I know everyone reacts different, but I was just double checking to make sure it didn't have some adverse affects on adhd by itself, I know it wont "help it" but I was just making sure it wouldn't make it worse. like some people have said it made them less motivated than before. Something I definitely don't want lol.

Anyways thanks again for the replies :)

Jmgoodma1980
07-11-14, 04:20 AM
Hello,
I just want to start by saying I am not a doctor but I want to share my experience. My heart goes into a rhythm called A-fib. My doctor told me that as long as my heart was structurally healthy I should be able to go on the stimulants. Of course I checked with my cardiologist first and I got his blessing. Because my anxiety is controlled (from the stimulants) my heart health is way better. I used to go into a-fib several times a month, now I only go into a-fib a couple times a year. Best of luck to you!