View Full Version : I'm overly curious/overcomplicate things

ILikeHats
05-06-13, 03:30 PM
I don't know why, but when it comes to school I ridiculously overcomplicate things. I'm one of those kids that ask a million questions during school. I don't know why but my curiosity can never be sated. For example, today during Chemistry, we were learning about isotopes and radiation. I couldn't just *accept* the chemical formula and adding alpha/beta rays to elements creating new elements. I had to know why, I always ask why this is like this or why this is like that. Like I asked: what does beta rays do to the elements exactly? and what energy do isotopes give off? or what exactly are alpha/beta/gamma rays? I ALWAYS do this. I don't know why. I'm not like kids who just learn a formula and accept it, I have to know why it's like that, etc. I don't know why, are any of you guys like this? What can I do to stop it? :confused:

silivrentoliel
05-06-13, 04:52 PM
I'm not a kid anymore, but I do this... still. Always have. Curious minds aren't a bad thing, just means that we're thinking beyond what we're being spoon fed in class :)

If you think your questions are disrupting class, write them down and google them when you get home, or email your teacher and say you had follow up questions but didn't want to take away class time... you might get brownie points that way too ^_^

dvdnvwls
05-06-13, 04:59 PM
Don't try so hard to stop the questions - just postpone them until you're in a suitable situation to ask them. Having a way to write them down so you won't forget about them might be nice. Accepting your school courses for what they are, and postponing those questions till MUCH later like three years from now, might be necessary in order to get your classes done on time. :)

ILikeHats
05-06-13, 09:04 PM
Thanks guys ^.^ I'll try those ideas!

stef
05-07-13, 04:59 AM
well I think it's refreshing! no one is interested in anything, it seems.
(you may seriously annoy the class though! maybe you could meet with the teacher to discuss your questions?)

I remember getting very carried away in an English Lit class (about Great Expectations, how could miss Havisham possibly have never even gone outside, or something like that..) and I got this nasty remark of "it's only a book!" from another classmate.

Silvermoonstone
05-22-13, 06:26 PM
I don't know why, but when it comes to school I ridiculously overcomplicate things. I'm one of those kids that ask a million questions during school. I don't know why but my curiosity can never be sated. For example, today during Chemistry, we were learning about isotopes and radiation. I couldn't just *accept* the chemical formula and adding alpha/beta rays to elements creating new elements. I had to know why, I always ask why this is like this or why this is like that. Like I asked: what does beta rays do to the elements exactly? and what energy do isotopes give off? or what exactly are alpha/beta/gamma rays? I ALWAYS do this. I don't know why. I'm not like kids who just learn a formula and accept it, I have to know why it's like that, etc. I don't know why, are any of you guys like this? What can I do to stop it? :confused:

This is a good thing! Don't stop it! We need more people in STEM fields who are curious and interested in learning about the 'why' and not just the 'what'.

You know what's fun? When you get to college and you ask this stuff to tutors. Then you stump the tutors in front of the professors, and the professors give a surprised and impressed look at your direction. Those situations are priceless. :3