View Full Version : Adderall and Tramadol

ADHDisAjoke
05-06-13, 06:48 PM
Adderall and other outside factors that caused depression killed my 12 years of training. Adderall by itself made me feel like crap, and as a male you are not normally looking to just lose weight, you have to eat to support strength training. I was 6'0", 220lbs, could bench over 400lbs, and was still lean (not the powerlifter type). Weight training and my overall image was unfortunately what I used for self confidence.

I was told about a nasty drug called tramadol that I took (synthetic opiate) that made me feel like a million bucks, it also made me make incredibly bad decisions. I left my good job and good life for a job overseas (I have worked overseas many times so its not as big of a deal) but once I arrived I somehow just looked around and said "wtf did I do?". It was like the opiate was making the decision for me. So there I was, stuck in another country in which I already regretted going to, but I had a year on this contract and needed to get myself mentally in shape to start a job in which I never met a single person. I ended up taking the adderall that first morning becuase I didnt sleep the entire night and even though it kills my stomach and gives me an emotional hangover, I knew it would help me through the day. What I found out quickly is if I took the two together it cancelled out all the bad appetite suppressing adderall does for you, you dont eat much but its not because you feel like you are 150 degrees and you have cramps.
Anyways, with me the adderall completely changed who I was. I used to always schedule my day around working out, each day I would eat knowing it was going to be my power food for the gym, I didnt touch soda, cookies, junk food at all, maybe some pizza but thats about it, but once on adderall I couldnt even leave my desk at work. I was obsessed with work type projects and would work straight until the adderall would wear off, then I just felt like my eyes were bloodshot and wanted to go home and sleep. I never felt like doing anything physical while on adderall, I was usually already feeling hot and sweaty to begin with, so I became this compulsive work person. I thought others that didnt work as hard were lazy and needed to pick it up, I would b*tch about work yet take on more and more tasks. I stopped working out for a month, then 3 months, then 6 months, it got to the point where I couldnt find the motivation to start over, and thats when the depression took over my entire life.
So I found myself completely depressed, the only times I could even be social was when I felt the adderall in the morning, besides that I just started isolating myself from the world. I had a work from home job, so I didnt really have any structure in place, my manager was super cool as long as I got my tasks done (and I did when I would get on my 6 hour addy binges).

You would think someone on Adderall would have a spotless and clean place, everything in order, etc. I dont remember the last time I cleaned my place, I had to tell my accountant to do a tax extension because I couldnt find the motivation to start. I work from home a lot and at times dont even log in to work, just lay around. The depression that eventually comes from becoming dependent on a drug will overrule all the effects that drug gives you.

What upsets me the most is what I let a drug(s) do to my body, I was always known as the one that was the crazy in shape guy, now I dont even go back to the same gym because I am too embarrassed that I let myself slip for so long. I spent my whole life working on my career and overall quality of life, and I became a junkie and let drugs threaten to take that away.

If you dont have a history with depression or addictions then adderall could benefit you for the short term, but you will never win in the end because you cant take this forever, and eventually it doesnt give you that drive you loved in the beginning. Its bad news and I wouldnt recommend it for anything. If you can seriously take it just on days you need it, then you have some strong will power and do not possess the addiction gene so many of us have. My ex-GF was like that, she introduced me to adderall but she could control it to a degree, she used it for school but wouldnt take it on the weekends, although I came home from overseas for a year and she had lost a lot of weight and that had to be the culprit (not healthy weight). I cant believe kids take this stuff, I would never let my toddler take an amphetamine.

sarahsweets
05-07-13, 04:55 AM

If you dont have a history with depression or addictions then adderall could benefit you for the short term, but you will never win in the end because you cant take this forever, and eventually it doesnt give you that drive you loved in the beginning. Its bad news and I wouldnt recommend it for anything.
These medications can be taken over the long term and have often led to a successful life. Most people arent looking for drive, they are looking to function.

If you can seriously take it just on days you need it, then you have some strong will power and do not possess the addiction gene so many of us have.

Adhd medications are best taken consitently because adhd doesnt go away or appear only at work or school.

I would never let my toddler take an amphetamine.
that may be your opinion but statistics and research prove that early intervention offers the best chance at success and overall functioning as an adult.

Raye
05-17-13, 08:18 AM
Just the title of this thread makes me want to faint, lol.

Adderall for me just keeps me wide awake, and keeps me alert and my mind goes even faster than it already does.

Tramadol I am allergic to.

These 2 combined would send me to the E.R.:doh:

Darksanity
05-18-13, 02:34 AM
that may be your opinion but statistics and research prove that early intervention offers the best chance at success and overall functioning as an adult.
'Intervention' is fine but giving amphetamines to a kid? I don't know... I mean the kid has no understanding of what's that all about. The kid doesn't have the mental capacity to give full consent and understand possible repercussions. Just that is good moral reason to NOT give amphetamines for young kids.

Stimulants are no cure for ADHD.. They mask and help with some symptoms but there are side-effects and long-term repercussions (especially if a child starts taking it very young i.e less than 10 yrs old). Think about it; the 5 yrs old kid who's put on Adderall is almost guaranteed to have any imaginative thinking destroyed.

janiew
05-18-13, 04:55 AM
It's interesting that you post this. And I am sorry for your experience. We are all different. I took tramadol on two separate occasions as prescribed by a doctor.

For me, it improved my focus, motivation, and social skills but wasn't a good painkiller, which is its purpose. I worked my butt off on it. Work and housework - got a lot done which made me feel even better. For me, it's like a smart drug. Unfortunately it is a synthetic opioid and it's addictive.

Before I went to the p-doc, I researched it because I thought it might be pertinent. Turns out I am not alone and many people have this effect. Chemically it is similar to Strattera to treat ADHD and Effexor, which is a SNRI antidepressant. I have not tried either so I don't know how they would or would not help me.

I am in an early trial of Adderall and it's helping alot so far. I also started Zoloft for anxiety. My kids were never referred for ADHD testing so it's been off my radar. Now that I know about myself, I see it in one of my sons. He is 16 and a lot like me but more creative.

While early intervention is key, I don't know what that means for each individual. I will see my p-doc who is also a neurologist monthly as long as I am on Adderall. We talk about how I feel, what my experience is.

I hope things improve for you soon.

sarahsweets
05-18-13, 05:50 AM
....'Intervention' is fine but giving amphetamines to a kid? I don't know...

This statement is key because unless you have kids being treated for adhd and have experience in treating them with stimulants, you really dont know what its like.

I mean the kid has no understanding of what's that all about. The kid doesn't have the mental capacity to give full consent and understand possible repercussions. Just that is good moral reason to NOT give amphetamines for young kids.

The child may not understand what a med is for but that is where a parent comes into play. A child also wont understand what an antibiotic is for but that doesnt mean that they should not take one when it is prescribed and overseen for a valid reason.

Stimulants are no cure for ADHD.. They mask and help with some symptoms but there are side-effects and long-term repercussions (especially if a child starts taking it very young i.e less than 10 yrs old). Think about it; the 5 yrs old kid who's put on Adderall is almost guaranteed to have any imaginative thinking destroyed.

I would like you to cite some reputable sources that will verify that treating a child with stimulants who is under the age of 10 has more long term repercussions than starting to treat a child after the age of 10. Stimulants do not MASK the symptoms of ADHD, they TREAT the symptoms of adhd. Adderall does not destroy imaginative thinking and it is precisely your kind of thinking that increases and perpetuates the stigma of taking stimulants for anyone-a child or an adult.

Adderall does not destroy creativity anymore than it increases creativity. What it does do, is treat a child who (when left untreated and undiagnosed) will more often than not, make seriously dangerous choices,abuse drugs or alcohol, engage in risky behavior and in some cases result in serious injury and DEATH.

As adults with ADHD, we have to deal with the stigma of having a mental disorder, combined with getting out "legal speed" everyday . Have you always been able to be prescribed a stimulant, fill it and pick it up with no one raising an eyebrow? if you have then you are one of the lucky FEW,

A child cant advocate for their own mental health or treatment because they ARE young and they have PARENTS to do this for them. Its the bonus you get when you have kids (sort of like buy one, get one). You are supposed to give them love, support and the best possible chance at a successful life. So when a child is in need of treatment for a VALID reason and being monitored by a doctor,the parents and inconjunction with the schools, not giving them treatment that is PROVEN (and a first line treatment) to be effective for adhd to me is just like not caring at all. If you dont care about your child or anything, you do nothing to make their life better, you do nothing to help them overcome a problem, you do nothing to let them know you love them.

My son was diagnosed when he was 3.5 and began meds at age 4. He was falling through the cracks already and it wasnt even in kindergarten yet. He required treatment not only in just the form of meds, but OT,PT, basic skills, therapy and a really good behavior modification plan. NONE of these things would have been possible for him without meds. He is 17 now, just finished a college course that we paid for and will receive credits for towards his bachelors degree. He is in all honors classes, and has great grades. He just finished his HESPA's (state tests) and scored advanced proficient in all subject areas ( this is the highest you can get). I know he will graduate next year and I know that I have done my job to the best of my ability so far.

I am not perfect and this isnt about bragging about how great my kid is or how awesome I am, its about addressing this repeated passive aggressive attitude about treating kids with medication. I am not saying that YOU were passive aggressive, I am saying that A LOT of people can be. Their maybe some parents that will read the things that you wrote and think that what you said was a truth when it is not. They will read what others have said about how horrible parents are for using stimulants and they will refuse treatment because they were made to buy into the validity of the snake oil treatment vs the effectiveness of medical treatment.

I apologize to everyone for the length of this post. I just cant sit back and let the same misguided ideas to be repeated.

Oh an another thing, my son is almost 6'2" now, so even the "stimulants will stunt your growth" thing didnt apply to him.

Raye
05-18-13, 07:17 AM
Sarah,

Didn't you know that every medicated kid turns into a zombie? ;)

Blanched Dubois
05-18-13, 08:13 AM
i have to agree that I didn't jump to give my son any meds and was assisted in that inclination by going to pdocs, 'VA counselors' ( ha ha ha ) 'Therapists' ( ha ha ha ) and 'other helpers' ( HAH) and all of them refused to do the job they're hired to do....look into the medical file, take a full medical history....and then READ IT ALL PRIOR TO THE APPT. with us.

One shrink who was at least 20,000 yrs old by the look of him told me to 'leave him alone'. LOL!! I'm not kidding that's a verbatim quote. My son at the time had become so isolating, defiant, was failing his, let's see he started failing in school right away but his GI issues just didn't seem to warrant any connection to his...let's see...BROAD SPECTRUM DISORDER ADD/aspberger's symptoms that I had no idea the 'pro's' had no idea or care to investigate....just 'leave the kid alone' ....ok

The next 'VA' therapist i thought was fairly competent i found out later was working on her masters. ( cough ) Yeah, she found my son to be 'fine' just lazy and not being parented properly. So she sued us and took me and son to juvie court so i had to show up with all my documents ( and i keep envelopes, i keep all documents!!! including stamps and dates on envelopes, i'm going to start a new photo album with them, but not here don't worry Abi)

Yeah!! That was SO exhilarating. Taking a suicidal kid too smart for the system and too smart for me, also, into a Juvenile court due to his absences due to his most painful, humiliating and since birth - hugest issue related to broad spectrum - learning 'differently' that we all call 'disabilities' and shove the medical documents in the bailiff's hands
Once the Judge through the case out giving only the lawyer for the Prosecution ( the school reps ) the chance to speak - I yelled outloud ( kid hates me for this - HATES )
Hey YER HONOR!! I GOT SOMETHING TO SAY - YEAH THANKS FOR MAKING MY SON AND I MORE DISGUSTED AND DISCOURAGED BLAH BLAH BLAH cus all we heard was a gavel banging down dismissing the case
I sneered at my 'counsel' - who's jaw needed to be pried off the floor most likely and got my kid up and we walked out while I yelled
GOD SAVE THE QUEEN

i live in the USA.

Hyperman87
05-18-13, 05:07 PM
If I may to the original poster! ADHD is a real brain disease,just Google that sentence & you should find a report on ABC news website about it. There's already far to much confusion, negativity,& bulls*** thrown in to ADHD patients lives to begrudge sufferer's of stimulant or any kind of treatment that aids in reducing symptoms. ADHD is as real as Parkinson's disease,Autism & Tourette's syndrome.

Just so you know, medication + therapy do help to relive many symptoms.However some people with ADHD(like me) find that it's still not enough.Then we get desperate & try unapproved drugs that act on either dopaminergic neurons or nor epinephrine for instance: Selegiline(An MAOI drug now used to treat Parkinson's disease.It is chemically related to Dexamphetamine.) or Amitriptyline(An older Tricyclic Antidepressant that effects serotonin & norepinephrine & has some effectiveness in the treatment of Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder).Many others have tried traditional ADHD stimulants only to move on to certain Antidepressants, Anti-Parkinsonian drugs, Anti-convulsants or even Anti-psychotics.

ADHD is a terrible Neuropsychiatric illness that am sure everyone here would not wish on their worse enemy.

oneup
05-18-13, 06:26 PM

You obviously don't know Dick.

I am referring to Philip K. Dick, the prolific sci-fi writer. Read one of his books sometime, they are filled with creative ideas. They have been made into some pretty good movies as well (Minority Report, Blade Runner, Total Recall, A Scanner Darkly). He wrote all of these while abusing amphetamines regularly.

So how do you mean helping your kid with medicines is bad? The result is unknowable, maybe if you help your kid out they will be more successful in life, and daydream less, or actually channel their creativity.