View Full Version : positive traits of ADD

Diane
07-16-03, 01:41 PM
My name is Diane and I am the wife and mother of persons with ADHD. I have read several books about parenting ADHD children and most of them focus on handling the problems of ADHD children, rather than the possible successes or strengths ADHD can bring.

Can anyone recommend a book that also describes the positive aspects of ADHD? I am thinking of living with a husband with ADD and the frustrations that can bring, but also my children who have difficulty with boredom at school and completing tasks. I'd like some good information on how to recognize and appreciate the strengths of ADHD (as the website suggests: creativity, sensitivity, etc....). How can those strengths be supported to produce a better learning environment/organized household?

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Diane

joanrdtobe
07-16-03, 03:11 PM
Welcome Diane to the Forums. Have you read Women with Attention Deficit Disorder by Sari Solden or You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Crazy or Stupid? Also you will get a lot of support here regarding the positive aspects of ADD.....:) Just keep reading and posting:)

Diane
07-16-03, 04:14 PM
Joan,

I haven't read the books you mentioned, so I'll give them a try!

THANKS for your response!!

Diane

waywardclam
08-29-03, 03:28 AM
This is an older thread, but I really want to recommend "ADD Success Stories" for this purpose... it is the whole hunter vs. farmer idea, and delves deeply into the unique skills and talents that ADD people have and the reasons they theorize we have them.

Hope you get this message.

Andrew
08-31-03, 07:02 PM
Welcome to the forums, Diane :)

tamarama
07-24-04, 01:32 PM
For your kids, read something by Lucy Jo Palladino ("Dreamers, Discoverers and Dynamos"); for adults I recommend "A View From The Cliff" (I think that's what it is called, lol). Both emphasize the positive aspects of ADD while giving good recommendations for changing the more difficult behaviors.

laraR
12-14-04, 02:12 PM
Can anyone recommend a book that also describes the positive aspects of ADHD? I am thinking of living with a husband with ADD and the frustrations that can bring, but also my children who have difficulty with boredom at school and completing tasks. I'd like some good information on how to recognize and appreciate the strengths of ADHD (as the website suggests: creativity, sensitivity, etc....). How can those strengths be supported to produce a better learning environment/organized household?
Diane
Dead Diane,
Books are many but life is 1. Remember, you can read as many as add/adhd books as you want, but what you will experience in your life with your husband and your kids will be nothing that any book can define or describe.
About the positive aspects of ADD/ADHD, trust me there are MANY........but it depends on what kind of an image you form in your head for add/adhd. It depends on whether how judgemental u want to make yourself towards add/adhd.

One suggestion is look at it this way if u or ur family, neither knew or even heard of what add was then life would be frustrating. Shouting at kids or hubby and wondering why so many goof ups and things happen in your life.
Now, Imagine the pleasure coming over you when you would come to know that there is a reason that your husband is a certain way and there is a reason that ur kids are in a certain way. That's what makes them wonderful. Everyone has some kind of disabilities in their life.
IMHO, we should be happy that we have found an answer and we can live our lives much happier looking at ourselves much more positively.

janesays
12-17-04, 12:38 PM
Sometimes I think disorders are too closly tied to self identity. Now that you know you or someone else has ADD you link every characteristic you can to the disorder. Especially if it's a bad one. But where we go wrong is that the individual is not the disorder. I especially need to learn again how to differentiate myself from a disorder because I am not ADD I have ADD. The line is sometimes blurred. I think that I need to give a little more credit to myself and not my ADD. Although it is ADD in the first place that makes me feel unique. It shouldn't be that way. I should feel like a complete whole person myself. But I can't help but link all my behaviors traits and characteristics to the very fact that I have been told I have a disorder. It has just taken to much precidence in my life. I think in a way knowing helps and in a way it hinders. But anyways, if you want to learn more about the positive qualities of ADD just know that it's all unique based on the person. I am learning now that not all ADDer are as bad at math as I am so I can no longer blame the fact that I'm bad at math on ADD but I am also learning that not all ADDers are as interested in art as I am so I can attribute that to myself. My best advice is to try lots of new things and be open minded. Don't read to much into what all the "experts" say. Something like positive traits cannot be categorized.

Talairan
01-30-05, 06:17 PM
I would recommend any of the books by Thom Hartmann. He has a really positive spin on ADD :D
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0892811285/qid=1107123145/sr=2-2/ref=sr_2_11_2/202-4693127-1416653
and
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0717128652/qid=1107123363/sr=1-14/ref=sr_1_2_14/202-4693127-1416653