View Full Version : Pain med for severe stenosis/arthritis or not?

Blanched Dubois
05-12-13, 06:10 PM
Pain flare-ups due to severe spinal stenosis/arthritis...question is....i got off pain meds for many reasons. I was glad that I did get off one in particular. The methadone. However, for me, both were not helpful to my nerves. At the time, I was 'driven to distraction' and 'dancing as fast as i can' ( 2 great books on ADD)
but forgetting about the ADD-worried about dying husband and troubled, sick child, with my eldest brother gone from ALS - he was my only confidant who i could trust. I was lost but making money and doing the best I could for us all.
Seeking good medical care for us all.

I want to know if anyone is interested in sharing what, if any, opiate or narcotic that is strong enough to stop very severe stabbing, burning pains that do happen in neck and muscles sometimes. I can't take iburprofen, aspirin is not enuff at that time. I also am open to a non narcotic. I have no funds left for cranial sacral, which was working. Too expensive, tho, and the stenosis is getting worse, agravated by the add meds most likely.

I really don't want to be on a daily pain med but i want one that works for nights like last night. So, I may need 12 meds a month and use 1 or 10 ...i just can't use percocet, methadone, oxycodone, oxycontin, none of these are 'good' for me as they affect my nerves somehow.

Any suggestions about anything related to help the pain is appreciated greatly, thanks.

dresser
06-19-13, 02:10 AM
have you tried an inversion table? I't where you anchor your ankles while in the verticle position then tilt the table up side down (yes your on it ) llolo there is a belt
with degree marks on it that attaches to the under side of the table and will only allow you to tilt to that degree of angle. it is totally adjustable to/for your hieght weight the exercises can be done at all the angle setting until you become relaxed
/confident enough for you to go 180 degrees foot soles at the ceiling long hair on the floor. (so tuck your shirt in your pants). lololo, and at all the settings youre vertabraes are
being allowed to sepperate and the muscle can then relax. they work IF you work them. you have to set your self to use it on a regular commited bases. I know they
work. Its me

MellyFishButt
06-22-13, 06:16 PM
I just did trigger point injections for the first time and it worked great for a few days although my doc said it takes a few sessions to work. (Is this true or is he just trying to get me to come back more often?)

For stabbing pain....honey when I was at my worst nothing really helped without totally zombie-ing myself out on nucynta or vicoprofen. Nucynta, however, does a bunch if SSRI stuff that is its own demon. My least pain came from hot baths and swimming. When I was swimming I had zero pain because there was zero pressure anywhere. But you can't live in the pool. Meloxicam (NSAID) has worked pretty well. I hated morphine, gave me anxiety for the first 15 minutes. My doc offered dliaudid at my last appt but that just seems like a dangerous rabbit hole. My dad swore by a few months of acupuncture. But my biggest issues now are muscle spasms that can take 4 days - 2 weeks to calm down and the only thing I can do is rest and and drug myself at night as a reward for living through the day. Ha. I am currently trying to find a med strategy in which I change my med types every two weeks so I can eliminate dependency issues....so far it works but I have no clue what I should try next....

Other than the above, I got nothin'.

Blanched Dubois
06-22-13, 06:27 PM
have you tried an inversion table? I't where you anchor your ankles while in the verticle position then tilt the table up side down (yes your on it ) llolo there is a belt
with degree marks on it that attaches to the under side of the table and will only allow you to tilt to that degree of angle. it is totally adjustable to/for your hieght weight the exercises can be done at all the angle setting until you become relaxed
/confident enough for you to go 180 degrees foot soles at the ceiling long hair on the floor. (so tuck your shirt in your pants). lololo, and at all the settings youre vertabraes are
being allowed to sepperate and the muscle can then relax. they work IF you work them. you have to set your self to use it on a regular commited bases. I know they
work. Its me

Thanks Dresser and Melly - first - no I've always wanted to try that inversion table but my C2 is so messed up and the Axiol or watever it's called - i'm focusing on careful swimming and ocean and some sun - sleep - right diet -just retreating. Working on me and letting son get set up for independent living.

Melly - yep..you is accurate - when i was on pain meds it was with great knowing it was dangerous - i'd call my dr 'satan' and it was my way of knowing and reminding me ' i didn't wholly buy it' as in my neck and nerves are ok - but it's worse then I thought per this neuro who says surgery is inevitable for me...and i'd like to not have a fusion surgery. No, thanks PLEASE. lol and we just keep sort of stopping and starting meds...writing...trying to crack jokes and forgetting them so I can't tell anymore funny stories and that's just the stress of all the stuff of my home going on now - so be grateful for 'nothing' - i know i always am lol
:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

it's a bish so have some fun somehow!!

AdamLL
08-11-13, 09:49 AM
Have you tried a good chiropractor and massage therapist? Preferable ones that are in the same office and that work together. Any of thing like the omegas, grape seed, CoQ? Plus there has been some good research with Turmeric for pain and inflammation. Here just one article on Turmeric. http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/turmeric
A friend of mine also had it recommended to him by his oncologist for the body aches and pains and because of it being powerful antioxidant.

Blanched Dubois
08-11-13, 10:50 AM
yeah been there done that - www.altwaters.com

i have no pain and wouldn't take a pain pill now as i've lived thru pain worse than childbirth and died - the body/mind is so amazing how when the pain gets excruciating you just pass out

it's better living thru chemistry and keep passing the open windows