View Full Version : Is it really bipolar??

Fuzzy12
05-15-13, 10:09 AM
I'm still questioning my diagnosis. I know that I definitely have a mood regulation problem going on but I'm not convinced that it's bipolar disorder II.

It's definitely not classic BP II. My mood swings a lot but I've very rarely had hypomanic episodes that have lasted for longer than 4 days. Before I started taking mood stabilisers, I had moments of euphoria. Sometimes they lasted for a few hours and sometimes for just a few minutes.

I've read papers about ultradian (or ultra ultra ultra rapid) cycling and that seems to describe me very well. I'm not sure though if it's a clinically accepted concept.

I don't believe anymore that I have ADHD. If I really am bipolar, that would explain my ADHD like symptoms though I don't know if it's that common for them to be so severe when you've just got BP.

I'm not sure if it matters. The meds do help though I've still got bad episodes of depression and I miss being hypomanic. I miss being euphoric, even if it's just for a few minutes. It's still better though than it was before I started taking meds.

I'm not looking for another label. I do wonder though if it's possible that rather than having one fully fledged disorder, I've just got borderline or mild disorders. Maybe my brain is just a bit disordered in general.

daveddd
05-15-13, 10:17 AM
Whatever it is. You fit in here well

ADHD adults tend towards cyclothymic unregulated temperaments

Underlayed by depression

Along with a confusion about dx

sarahsweets
05-15-13, 10:56 AM
whatever its called or actually is as long as you attempt to treat it youre heading in the right direction.

keliza
05-15-13, 01:24 PM
^ Exactly what Sarah said. It doesn't matter what it is, as long as you're trying to treat it, you're doing the best you can. I know it would be nice to have a neat, tidy label to stick on it, but ultimately it doesn't change whether or not you get better. You can still treat it without knowing exactly what it is. Maybe it's BPII. Maybe it's ultradian-cycling bipolar disorder. Maybe it's BP-NOS. Maybe it's Mood Disorder NOS.

The reason those NOS (Not Otherwise Specified) categories exist in the DSM is to account for the millions of people like you, who don't fit exactly into one particular category, but something is wrong. Your suffering is real and serious, regardless of what it's called. And your treatment can (and will, eventually) work, even if you're not 100% sure what it is you're treating.

tudorose
05-15-13, 06:42 PM
I have wondered that Fuzzy. I can relate to a lot of what you say but my labels are ptsd, ocd and adhd (with lots of autistic traits). Ptsd can present like a lot of other things. Do you actually get manic at all? I remember getting manic a few times in the first year of ptsd. Have you had any experiences that could cause ptsd?

daveddd
05-15-13, 07:38 PM
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22840630

sorry meant to put this with post earlier

it makes sense

fracturedstory
05-16-13, 03:41 AM
Have you heard that the NIMH is thinking of going away from the DSM and diagnosing and treating people by looking at their symptoms over maybe different types of disorders?

I think it's a good idea especially for those of us who don't fit into the rigid descriptions of DSM criteria.

When I saw that 'not hypomanic for longer than 4 days' I shook my head. If I'm anything I'm ultradian. That doesn't make my bipolar less serious, if anything it's even more unstable. Clinically accepted concept? They can turn almost any normal human trait into a personality disorder or mental illness yet when they haven't got a set of rigid criteria for something that is similar in symptoms as bipolar (as similar as PDD-NOS is to autism) they just think it isn't real, not worth taking seriously.

I don't need scientific research or acceptance to know that something ain't right with my head.

Anyway, sorry, I triggered. I've been critical of rigid science research of late. I suppose I will consider things science hasn't worked out yet as potentially being worked out in the future.

I cycle over hours to minutes to seconds. My mania is even short.

This really helped me work out my lack of episodes: http://www.psycheducation.org/depression/Waves.htm

Zevispaz
05-30-13, 11:01 PM
I'm in a similar boat at the moment. After responding well to bipolar meds, they think I might have bipolar. But they're letting me try Strattera in a low dose to see if it helps my concentration (and they're doing it very slowly to make sure it doesn't trigger a manic episode if I do have bipolar). In any case, the important thing is that they're treating the symptoms that are concerning to both me and them. :cool:

mr. karl
06-01-13, 04:05 PM
I'm still questioning my diagnosis. I know that I definitely have a mood regulation problem going on but I'm not convinced that it's bipolar disorder II.

This. I've been given 2 diagnoses for and 2 against BP II. After thinking I wasn't for a long time, I am now fairly sure that I am. Definitely have brutal mood swings, and this super ultra fast roller coaster variety sounds like it might be a good description too :) What I realized is that its hard to know what "grandiose thinking" or "rapid thinking" is when you don't have a basis for comparison. I think, despite having for low self-esteem, I actually do have an unrealistic sense of my superiority sometimes.

So, yeah, so right there with you. Interesting.

AnnieBeanie
06-18-13, 02:27 PM

It's definitely not classic BP II. My mood swings a lot but I've very rarely had hypomanic episodes that have lasted for longer than 4 days. Before I started taking mood stabilisers, I had moments of euphoria. Sometimes they lasted for a few hours and sometimes for just a few minutes.

I've read papers about ultradian (or ultra ultra ultra rapid) cycling and that seems to describe me very well. I'm not sure though if it's a clinically accepted concept.

I don't believe anymore that I have ADHD. If I really am bipolar, that would explain my ADHD like symptoms though I don't know if it's that common for them to be so severe when you've just got BP.

I'm not sure if it matters. The meds do help though I've still got bad episodes of depression and I miss being hypomanic. I miss being euphoric, even if it's just for a few minutes. It's still better though than it was before I started taking meds.

I'm not looking for another label. I do wonder though if it's possible that rather than having one fully fledged disorder, I've just got borderline or mild disorders. Maybe my brain is just a bit disordered in general.

I am pretty sure you can have both, and symptoms of both can overlap. And ADHD medication can induce mood swings, and probably if you are predisposed to them, even mania and depression. I have a Bipolar NOS diagnosis somewhere in my past, too, but it was only after SSRI treatment. I am naturally more depressed than hypomanic. Managing my ADHD with medication so far has brought better results than managing my depression/ bipolar with medication, so I am leaning towards Depression/ Bipolar being secondary to my ADHD. It is all the same brain and same chemicals that are at play, it would be silly to delineate and say you can only have one or the other. It happened to me, when I was diagnosed bipolar, doctor said I must have misconstrued my past and that I am not mostly depressed, because only Bipolar people get hypomanic on SSRI. I thought that was a load of c^&*(. Needless to say, I changed doctors. Treat your symptoms, if you are responding well to an antidepressant and a mood stabilizer, and it is improving your focus, go for it. It's supposed to allevaite some of the cortisol, depression/ mania/ focus/ memory are all tied with cortisol and stress. Ultimately it is all stress that we need to curb..

AnnieBeanie
06-18-13, 02:30 PM
This. I've been given 2 diagnoses for and 2 against BP II. After thinking I wasn't for a long time, I am now fairly sure that I am. Definitely have brutal mood swings, and this super ultra fast roller coaster variety sounds like it might be a good description too :) What I realized is that its hard to know what "grandiose thinking" or "rapid thinking" is when you don't have a basis for comparison. I think, despite having for low self-esteem, I actually do have an unrealistic sense of my superiority sometimes.

So, yeah, so right there with you. Interesting.

I agree, what if you are an artist or an innovator, what if you are really good at solving problems, smart, then what? You should take medication to kill it?

This "grandiose thinking" needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Sure, if you are delusional and thinking you are Jesus, you need to treat it, but if you are simply talented and know it, I think not.

AnnieBeanie
06-18-13, 02:32 PM
I'm in a similar boat at the moment. After responding well to bipolar meds, they think I might have bipolar. But they're letting me try Strattera in a low dose to see if it helps my concentration (and they're doing it very slowly to make sure it doesn't trigger a manic episode if I do have bipolar). In any case, the important thing is that they're treating the symptoms that are concerning to both me and them. :cool:

This is great! Finally someone actually listening to the patient:)

fracturedstory
06-19-13, 02:54 AM
I agree, what if you are an artist or an innovator, what if you are really good at solving problems, smart, then what? You should take medication to kill it?

This "grandiose thinking" needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Sure, if you are delusional and thinking you are Jesus, you need to treat it, but if you are simply talented and know it, I think not.
There's talent and thinking that only you are the person that possess this skill. I'm not talking about being the only good artist, but having original ideas and having a purpose and that's there's this higher meaning in what you're doing. That you're somehow going to enlighten society by just writing a book.

It's no wonder I've been called a narcissist.

Then there's my great theories that solve the mystery of dark matter.

And don't ask me about synchronicity. That really makes me not just sound delusional but get into this stream of euphoric thoughts.

I know these thoughts and emotions are not typical because I wasn't aware of them before until someone said I was full of sh**. That was simply about most of what I wrote in a blog that I ended up deleting. I was called schizophrenic too by answering a question on quora.com. Basically I made it sound as though ADHD was like travelling in time. Or teleporting.

I once predicted the end of times by watching a lunar eclipse. That was fun. My bipolar 2 sister looked at me though I was crazy.

I'm not always thinking grandiose thoughts or having a flood of ideas or just talking very fast and my mood changing before I even get up to take a breath (rapid thinking?) so there is a basis.

Although I'm not sure if I have bipolar and right now I don't really want to concern myself with it.