View Full Version : "Manic seizures"

fracturedstory
05-16-13, 03:00 AM
I was talking to someone with an ASD who could only think of the term "manic seizures" to explain something doctors said was related to her mania. I think it was a her.

They would start tapping uncontrollably with their fingers and then it spreads and soon they cannot contain any movement. And actually doing something like exercise makes it worse. They will feel very hypomanic and start hitting themself.

Now, I had something similar. I've known for awhile now that when very energetic if I stopped suddenly I would not stop moving. Er, I'd jiggle around for a bit. This is increased through strength training exercise and I become euphoric.

But recently I became hyper one day and it kept growing and growing, until it felt kind of unpleasant. And then I started laughing and hitting myself.

Has anyone experienced anything like that?

This is just one part of one of my 'findings' between the similarities of bipolar symptoms (mainly bipolar 1) and epilepsy. But I'll write about that later as the cats and the self need to bed fed.

fracturedstory
05-17-13, 01:01 AM
I can see I'm popular here.

I grew kind of concerned for my sister last night as her cycling turned into incoherent jabber. Again I thought of seizure but the behaviour sounded nothing like bipolar to me. I don't even want to verbalise the words 'brain tumor' because our dad died of one 10 ten years ago. But she was drunk, is unmedicated, was cycling and I just hope it is the damn illness. Maybe there is another PD in there too.

I don't want to become like her.

Amtram
05-17-13, 11:08 AM
That's really curious that strength training would make that worse - since exercise is so often touted as a cure for all emotional disorders.

As someone with pretty much only ADHD and unipolar-type depression, I can't really identify with this. I get fidgety and twitchy because of boredom or anxiety alone, and exercise of any kind quiets my brain because I'm focused on the task.

I can't say I've ever known anyone who experienced this, either, but it would be interesting if there were other members here who were familiar with this symptom.

Fuzzy12
05-17-13, 01:12 PM
Sorry, I hadn't seen this earlier.

I can relate to an extent. Sometimes, I get extremely restless. I need to keep moving faster and faster but the restlessness won't go away. Once it was so bad that I started hitting my arms, just because I couldn't take the restlessness. I didn't realise how I hard I had hit myself till I saw the bruises on the next day.

It doesn't just happen when I'm hypomanic though. Maybe it's more of a mixed episode. I don't feel good but I've got too much energy. Not focussed, useful energy, just this restlessness.

I think if your sister is talking incoherently, it would be good to call a doctor. How is she now?

fracturedstory
05-18-13, 02:41 AM
Well she's ok now. The next morning it's like nothing has happened at all. Maybe it's just a drunk/manic thing. I can get echolalic when I'm hyper so maybe it's related.

Hmm actually I can remember a time when I would feel hyper and a bit numb in my body and hitting myself actually wouldn't hurt.

Fraser_0762
05-18-13, 03:25 AM
Exercise can release endorphins, which may heighten feelings of euphoria.

keliza
05-18-13, 06:36 PM
I don't think that kind of behavior is related to epilepsy, but I do think it's an expression of the restlessness inherent in mania. Although it is interesting to also note that anti-epileptic drugs (AEDs) are very often used in the treatment of bipolar disorder as a mood stabilizer, so there could be some type of underlying genetic connection or similarity on a neurochemical basis. My mood stabilizer is an AED, those types of drugs tend to work on calcium and sodium channels in the brain, areas that are implicated in both epilepsy and bipolar disorder. So who knows!

ana futura
05-18-13, 06:45 PM
If I'm feeling restless I might make weird faces, or twist my legs around each other (like eagle pose in yoga, or like you have to pee really bad) Or I'll just get up and pace around. I can't really identify with what you describe- my ADHD "mania" usually consists of running around from here to there ecstatically like a child, until I wear myself out, and then I collapse. I exercise to calm myself down often.

With severe autism it's common to hit yourself, right? There's a video of a young man on youtube that's really traumatizing to watch, he just hits himself in the head over and over again while his caretakers are trying to restrain him.

daveddd
05-18-13, 06:51 PM
ive read about whats called an abnormal epileptic energy discharge

kind of sounded like that

fracturedstory
05-18-13, 10:37 PM
If I'm feeling restless I might make weird faces, or twist my legs around each other (like eagle pose in yoga, or like you have to pee really bad) Or I'll just get up and pace around. I can't really identify with what you describe- my ADHD "mania" usually consists of running around from here to there ecstatically like a child, until I wear myself out, and then I collapse. I exercise to calm myself down often.

With severe autism it's common to hit yourself, right? There's a video of a young man on youtube that's really traumatizing to watch, he just hits himself in the head over and over again while his caretakers are trying to restrain him.
The mistake people make about autism is that the behaviour is somehow random. It's not. It's either from a meltdown, anxiety or sensory seeking. Hitting yourself can release beta endorphins, a bit like what one feels when they cut themselves.

Epileptic 'automatisms' (which looks like stimming in autism) is completely non functional.

What I'm explaining is getting more and more hyper to the point of madness. Fish oil may be involved (which makes me hyper anyway) which gets me into the mood to exercise.

fracturedstory
05-18-13, 10:39 PM
Exercise can release endorphins, which may heighten feelings of euphoria.

1. I know.
and
2. Oh that makes some sense. Thanks.

fracturedstory
05-19-13, 02:50 AM
Well I'm fish oil-less today and it still happened. Happened to catch my friend in a hyper mood too. She's on like 4 different meds and she still gets symptoms.

It doesn't feel like a seizure. They have triggers. I like the euphoria + euphoria = OMG SO MUCH HYPER! Er..theory.