View Full Version : Anticonvulsants/mood-stabilizer: What for?

Darksanity
05-17-13, 02:09 AM
I've never quite understood the point of using anticonvulsants/mood-stablizers other than for bipolar or epilepsy.

I never tried any because I don't get how it can help someone with ADHD. I would think it would make it worst no? What's the effect exactly? Doesn't it turn you into an emotion-less apathetic zombie?

clydethompson
07-10-14, 05:41 AM
I've never quite understood the point of using anticonvulsants/mood-stablizers other than for bipolar or epilepsy.

I never tried any because I don't get how it can help someone with ADHD. I would think it would make it worst no? What's the effect exactly? Doesn't it turn you into an emotion-less apathetic zombie?

well, I still dont understand why stimulants help with ADHD. I mean, wouldnt it just rev that person up even more and turn them into a cracked-out racing tryhard?

respect man. show some respect eh?
same idea just different body chemistry, take klonopin for example. Dudes got anxiety and ADD. That pill might knock out your buddy but it could wake you up and focus because your not anxious. hypothetical but the effects vary widely in the classes you listed

Fuzzy12
07-10-14, 06:30 AM
well, I still dont understand why stimulants help with ADHD. I mean, wouldnt it just rev that person up even more and turn them into a cracked-out racing tryhard?

Nope, because ADHD isn't actually caused by or results in over stimulation but under stimulation (if I understand it correctly). Brain studies, I think, have shown that in the brains of people with ADHD, certain areas show less activity when exposed to the same stimuli as controls.

daveddd
07-10-14, 06:33 AM
Nope, because ADHD isn't actually caused by or results in over stimulation but under stimulation (if I understand it correctly). Brain studies, I think, have shown that in the brains of people with ADHD, certain areas show less activity when exposed to the same stimuli as controls.

any studies with replicated results show over stimulation , especially when exposed to emotional stimuli

trying to find logical reasons why any psych meds work is pointless at this point in time

clydethompson
07-10-14, 06:43 AM
trying to find logical reasons why any psych meds work is pointless at this point in time

Thanks for articulating this into a less agitated response, basically what I was getting at.

Fuzzy12
07-10-14, 07:15 AM
any studies with replicated results show over stimulation , especially when exposed to emotional stimuli

Apologies, I worded my post horribly and left out all the salient bits. What I meant is that if I understand correctly, ADHD is mainly a problem of self regulation and I think, the areas in the brain that are involved in self regulation (such as the pre frontal cortex) show less activity in response to stimuli than in normal controls. So I'm assuming that because self regulation is impaired, the areas that deal for instance with emotions can actually show more stimulation. I also think that ADHDers are hyperactive because they aren't able to regulate their energy levels and energy expenditure as well as others so stimulants actually help with that.

I could be completely wrong though so correct me if I am. :)

daveddd
07-10-14, 08:02 AM
Apologies, I worded my post horribly and left out all the salient bits. What I meant is that if I understand correctly, ADHD is mainly a problem of self regulation and I think, the areas in the brain that are involved in self regulation (such as the pre frontal cortex) show less activity in response to stimuli than in normal controls. So I'm assuming that because self regulation is impaired, the areas that deal for instance with emotions can actually show more stimulation. I also think that ADHDers are hyperactive because they aren't able to regulate their energy levels and energy expenditure as well as others so stimulants actually help with that.

I don't think think they figured it out.

Sounds like a good theory though

daveddd
07-10-14, 07:15 PM

i believe the assumed direction of the relationship may be changing

its probably a lot more bidirectional , probably starting with overactive emotion. In a few studies , controls were made to purposely suppress (not regulate) emotions, their brains started resembling adhd brains

also, barkley seems convinced that self regulation is a conscious act (PFC) , studies where adhd brains are overstimulated are conducted using subliminal emotional stimulus . its the amygdala that lights up

to me (I'm not positive) that would be a preconscious function(primary) so the relationship would be reversed