View Full Version : Adderall generic or regular

lriff
02-08-05, 08:50 PM
Hi,I have been writing this board for a month or so,and was just diagnosed Add
My doctor put me on adderall 5mg.to times a day,that seems like alot,but I am not real familar with it,I am just so releived to find out,I am not crazy or lazy,I have been on anti depressants since I was 11,I am 33 now,and they never worked,I was not for say "depressed",anyway,do I have to get generic is it is not written dispense as described?I have had many bad side effects from other generic medication,I am terrified of having another,Or will they make me pay full price,if so how expensive is it?Thanks so much

vegansoprano
02-09-05, 10:47 AM
I take generic and have not had a problem with it.

Whether or not you can choose name brand depends on your insurance. You will pay more for name brand. I don't know what the cost is if you do not have insurance.

5 mg 2x/day is a really low dose for an adult. I started at 10 mg 2x/day and now take 20 mg 2x/day.

Gregster
02-09-05, 05:14 PM
Generics, where available, are just as good as name brand, particularly for drugs like this. Schedule II drugs, like Adderall, are almost always required to be dispensed EXACTLY as prescribed - at least it's that way here in Ontario - so if the scrip said "Adderall 5mg tabs" that's what they have to give you. My doctor made a mistake once and wrote me a scrip for a pill size that wasn't available and I HAD to go back and get a new one - they couldn't even correct it over the phone.

typogenerator
02-10-05, 08:51 AM
I don't want to be a damper on this pro-generic party, but I had horrible experiences when I switched to generics last month (I'm back on teh pricey brand name now, thank God)... Now, before I get started, I should also mention the pharmapseudocal company that made my generics was Barr, a company not known for their quality.

The first thing I noticed was the taste of the pills. They tasted icky-sweet, like they had nutra-sweet (Aspartame)in them (unlike the brand name, which tastes, well, tart). Those generics may indeed have nutra-sweet in them, which might explain my reaction to them; but in any event, those pills made me feel nauseous, tired, headachy, edgy, and just generally out of sorts. When I ran low on them, I switched back to some of the Brand pills I had lying around from earlier dose adjustments, and WOW, what a difference! Here's a link to some info about toxic reaction to aspartame: www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/suffer.faq. I've posted a long list of them below in case the link is blocked or you can't hit it. I'm not sure of the source. I just Googled Aspartame and found this at the top of the hits.

I guess a point to touch on here would be WHICH generics are good? I can only tell you that any by Barr Pharmaceuticals are to be avoided. If my reaction was due to the Aspartame, then maybe you won't have the same effects if you don't have bad reactions to Aspartame. I don't touch the stuff in beverages or ANYTHING, so I can't say for sure that it, rather than some other filler, was the cause for my reaction.

Just my 2 cents.

Here's the list of reactions to Aspartame:

-------------------
# of
people (%)
Eye
- Decreased vision and/or other eye problems 140 (25%)
(blurring, "bright flashes," tunnel vision)
- Pain (or or both eyes) 51 (9%)
- Decreased tears, trouble with contact lens, 46 (8%)
or both
- Blindness (one or both eyes) 14 (3%)

Ear
- Tinnitus ("ringing," "buzzing") 73 (13%)
- Severe intolerance for noise 47 (9%)
- Marked impairment of hearing 25 (5%)

Neurologic
- Headaches 249 (45%)
- Dizziness, unsteadiness, or both 217 (39%)
- Confusion, memory loss, or both 157 (29%)
- Severe drowsiness and sleepiness 93 (17%)
- Paresthesias ("pins and needles," "tingling") 82 (15%)
or numbness of the limbs
- Convulsions (grand mal epileptic attacks) 80 (15%)
- Petit mal attacks and "absences" 18 (3%)
- Severe slurring of speech 64 (12%)
- Severe tremors 51 (9%)
- Severe "hyperactivity" and "restless legs" 43 (8%)
- Atypical facial pain 38 (7%)

Psychologic-Psychiatric
- Severe depression 139 (25%)
- "Extreme irritability" 125 (23%)
- "Severe anixiety attacks" 105 (19%)
- "Marked personality changes" 88 (16%)
- Recent "severe insomnia" 76 (14%)
- "Severe aggravation of phobias" 41 (7%)

Chest
- Palpitations, tachycardia (rapid heart action), 88 (16%)
of both
- "Shortness of breath" 54 (10%)
- Atypical chest pain 44 (8%)
- Recent hypertension (high blood pressure) 34 (6%)

Gastrointestinal
- Nausea 79 (14%)
- Diarrhea 70 (13%)
Associated gross blood in the stools (12)
- Abdominal pain 70 (13%)
- Pain on swallowing 28 (5%)

Skin and Allergies
- Severe itching without a rash 44 (8%)
- Severe lip and mouth reactions 29 (5%)
- Urticaria (hives) 25 (5%)
- Other eruptions 48 (9%)
- Aggravation of respiratory allergies 10 (2%)

Endocrine and Metabolic
- Problems with diabetes: loss of control; 60 (11%)
precipitation of clinical diabetes;
aggravation or simulation of diabetic
complications
- Menstrual changes 45 (6%)
Severe reduction or cessation of periods (22)
- Paradoxic weight gain 34 (5%)
- Marked weight loss 26 (6%)
- Marked thinning or loss of the hair 32 (6%)
- Aggravated hypoglycemia (low blood sugar 25 (5%)
attacks)

Other
- Frequency of voiding (day and night), burning 69 (13%)
on urination (dysuria), or both
- Excessive thirst 65 (12%)
- Severe joint pains 58 (11%)
- "Bloat" 57 (10%)
- Fluid retention and leg swelling 20 (4%)
- Increased susceptibility to infection 7 (1%)</pre>

lriff
02-10-05, 08:57 AM
I did fill it yesterday and my pharmacy said Barr generic is wonderful,I said I was afraid of having a bad reaction to generic,he looked at me like a druggy and said,you will if you take too many!,I was so mad,well I just did my bllod pressure and my heart rate is 152,yikes what do I do now?Thanks

Gregster
02-10-05, 12:36 PM
You can taste a difference "Typo"? Are you chewing them? Yuk. I'd be very surprised if aspertame was used as a filler for pills - why would they want to make them sweeter?

jennyjay
02-10-05, 01:05 PM
I am on regular Adderall - 60 mg a day - 30 in the morning and 30 in the mid-afternoon. I have been on adderall for a while and just like 2 or 3 years ago there was no generic for it so i got brand name. Now, however there is a gereric, actually several drug companies make a generic for adderall. I don't like the gereric and I can tell a difference. The generic does not work as well, or last as long as real Adderall, and no its not all in my head because I prior to this I had never had a problem with generics. so i did not have a any pre-set ideas that it would not be as good. I could tell a differance right away. My insurance will not cover brand name. I am actually thinking of switching to Adderall XR because there is not a generic for that yet so I can get real Adderall. Thats my experience, I hope that helps.:eek:

typogenerator
02-12-05, 12:35 PM
Gregster, yes, I can taste them.
It's when I put them in my mouth, where my tongue is :rolleyes:. Plus, I've always been very sensitive to the taste of Aspartame, which as you say, is an unlikely filler, but the flavor was the same, whether it was the real thing or not. Regular Adderall just doesn't taste like that. :confused:

TheEldest
03-10-05, 01:06 PM
My doctor prescribed 20mg XR, once a day, about two weeks ago. When I brought the prescription to the pharmacist, he gave me a bottle of generic Adderall. At the time I didn't know better, but there isn't a generic version of the XR, is there? The pills I have are ovaluar, a yellow-orange color, say 20 on one side, and have a strange taste on my tounge.

What do I have?

(The generic company is Barr)

HyperDad39
03-11-05, 09:29 AM
My pharmacist said that there is no generic version of XR. The XR itself capsule is half light blue and half dark blue.

I hate generic's so I asked my doctor gave me a script for regular Adderall and asked him so specify "no substitions" on the script and he mentioned that I should be prepared for questions from the pharmacist. Turns out that brand name Adderall fetches a good price on the street so the tendency is to question why the request for no generics.

Chadwick
03-12-05, 12:07 AM
The Barr Labs pills are sweet. I didn't get that taste out of the Mallinkrodt pills.

tikvahrefuah
03-13-05, 06:47 PM
The Barr pills are sweet.

Mallincrodt is pretty tasteless unless you leave them too long in the mouth (while looking for your glass of water :p for example) - then they start tasting bitter.

The fillers and color and taste and size of the pills really do vary.
Mallincrodt: small, white, not sweetened and ?fillers
Barr: larger, colored (blue, orange, ?) sweet, larger, ?fillers.

A reason to make them sweeter is to make them easier for kids to take. Things are often sweeted to make them more palatable to kids. Kids in general have a harder time swallowing pills and be more prone to "taste" them than adults.

An OTC example that comes to mind is cough syrup.

On a different note, in the US the pills don't have to be dispensed exactly as prescribed. ie if a doctor writes 20mg tab 1/2 three times a day the pharmacy can substitute 10mg three times a day and give twice the number of pills and vice versa.

calscooby
03-13-05, 08:09 PM
Generic for me felt much weaker...and i felt like i was taking a placebo...
also, they would get blue color all over...if I put it in a little container...it would just get everywhere! Like they had a powder on them...HOWEVER, they were much much much more gentle on my intestines...when I went to regular adderall, i had constant diarrhea for a few weeks....horrible!
but then, on generic, it just disappeared, but then i felt like i wasn't taking any meds too...

usually, generic works fine for me...i prefer generic lorazepam as opposed to brand name ativan. So it's kinda strange :)

samanthafox
03-24-05, 08:56 PM
Haven't taken regular adderall, but I was on Ritalin LA for 6 months. I can definitely feel it working, and am very happy with it so far. (I'm on 10 mg 1-3 times a day...) I can't compare to branded adderall, but it works so far so I don't care.

S

VickiS
03-24-05, 09:31 PM
I have decided I really hate the Barr Generic, My pharmacy switched from Abrika with my last refill. I called around to find out who carried what generic and seems they all have Barr. When I asked the difference in price between the brand name (Shire) and the generic, and it was all over the board. While the generics were all pretty much the same price everywhere, the Shire went from almost double (Walgreens) to about 20% more (Target). So I don't waste too much money with my little experiment. I have a call into my doc to get a prescription for a tiny quanity the brand name, for 20% more it may be worth it.....

badders
05-09-05, 03:21 PM
this is an interesting discussion.

i just started taking another brand of generic, Abrika. the 5mg pills are flat rounded blue color. as opposed to the flat edged white color name-brand Adderall that i used to take.

i only started taking it this morning. and so far i haven't noticed much difference between this and the name-brand except for the US$75 in cost. using my insurance, namebrand is US$85, and generic is US$5. quite a lot of difference.

i am taking the same dosage for both, and so far, they both started having effect at the same time and the effect on me are similar.

however, if i do notice any side-effects as some have noticed here with another brand, i will be happy to pay for the extra US$75 .

i will update ADDer's here in a few days.

but it does appear that different generic brands have some differences, and certain have differences on different people. YMMV.

cheers.
bADDers

MomTo5Monkeys
03-10-07, 09:19 AM
Hmm, I have read so many thoughts that are clearly NOT in favor of Barr generic. That's what I've been taking and it makes me wonder if that hasn't contributed to the very harsh feelings during my titration. Just to name a few, the peaks and valleys seem strong, the crash symptoms of headache and irritability are still there - maybe not quite as bad, but still....

Does ANYONE know the price of brand-name Adderall IR?

Right now, Target does a price-match for me based on Costco's price: For #60 20mg Adderall (Barr Lab Brand) I pay $24.35

Maybe I should give a try to a different form of the generic before trying XR?

In order of quality - do you guys like Adderall BRAND (From Shire) form of IR
and THEN what? Eon, Rax-something-er-other?? If someone could list the order and share a price idea of the above, that would be great! ;) Thanks!

emo537
03-10-07, 02:10 PM
Hey,

That price match thing sorta gives me some ideas. The only thing is where I'll even be able to FIND other generic brands other than Barr. Does anyone know where I can find any others??

thanks,

eric

VickiS
03-11-07, 12:19 PM
[QUOTE=badders]this is an interesting discussion.

i just started taking another brand of generic, Abrika. the 5mg pills are flat rounded blue color. as opposed to the flat edged white color name-brand Adderall that i used to take.

Where oh where did you find Abrika? I took that for the longest time then it seemed everyone in my area switched to Barr.
My body processes that Barr stuff horribly. I would get a big swoosh after about an hour then nothing...
I am stuck paying the big $$$ for name brand...

Sun Shine
03-11-07, 06:12 PM
Adderal XR is $110 for me and the generic is only $10, so I take that. The doctor always seems concerned that it's actually working though and wants to test me on it.