View Full Version : Anyone here who takes tyrosine?

noradd
05-17-13, 11:28 AM
I wonder if ADD meds dont work could it be because you lack tyrosine?
And what happens if you take ADD meds + tyrosine? Is this even safe?

Nachons
05-17-13, 08:56 PM
I wonder if ADD meds dont work could it be because you lack tyrosine?
And what happens if you take ADD meds + tyrosine? Is this even safe?
Tyrosine is just a dopamine precursor. Your body keeps its neurotransmitter levels at stable levels; if it runs low on something it can make more from proteins in your body, or from other precursors available.

Eating tyrosine might help normalize your dopamine levels if yours are seriously low, but chances are it's not worth the expense since you won't notice a difference.

Why would taking an essential amino acid be unhealthy (genetic defects like phenylketonuria aside)?

noradd
05-18-13, 05:17 PM
The thing is that taking a single amino acid isn't the same as getting it through food. I read that high doses of tyrosine can also cause side effects like high blood pressure and so on.
I'd be careful when taking it together with add meds.
I just wonder what if I lack precursors for neurotransmitters and that's why antidepressants didn't work and ritalin also doesn't really work. At least not how I expected it. :scratch:

awialways8
05-23-13, 06:58 PM
I take l-tyrosine (a 500mg pill) in the morning on an empty stomach for my thyroid (hypo/ low) issues, and I've noticed that since taking it (and guggul, also for my thyroid) it's helped give me an appetite and improve my overall mood while helping regulate my period. Never thought it would have anything to do with adhd though...