View Full Version : Common accommodations for middle schooler

gpfan5
05-17-13, 03:16 PM
DD, 12, is finishing up the 6th grade. At the beg. of the school year, we took out almost all of her elementary school accommodations and then added some back in a few months later. Because I have ADD myself, it's hard for me to teach her how to be organized and frankly she doesn't take advice from hubby that well right now. They tend to butt heads. I'd really like to see her start off 7th grade on a better note. After doing pretty well the first few quarters this year (all A's and B's except for a C in science), she's really fallen off to B's and C's with a D in science. Her science teacher doesn't accept late assignments plus there's a personality conflict there.

On the flip side, the science teacher is the only one who is checking to make sure that DD actually writes things down in her assignment notebook. This I discovered when she actually brought her notebook home the other day. We've tried all kinds of things to get her to write things down, colored pencils or markers , adding into the 504 plan that teachers need to check it, maybe that's not ALL kinds of things , I guess a couple different things, lol. We will probably start some kind of reward/point system for completing and filling it out when school starts in the fall to see if that helps.

What are some common accommodations/assistance that have worked for your middle schooler or even high schooler since they are dealing with the same kinds of locker/changing class/multiple teachers issues?

Also I am trying to see if we need an IEP inst. of a 504 because I like the idea of measurable goals for our daughter. I hope I don't get any resistance on that front. It's such a challenge! on the one hand, I want as few accommodations as possible because I know college will be a different ballgame entirely, but I also feel like having accommodations now will hopefully teach her the organizational habits and skills she'll need to succeed...

Thanks! Jennifer

sarahsweets
05-18-13, 05:02 AM
My opinions on the 504 vs the Iep are the over sight. With an IEP when you make your written request for an evaul they have to do so in a timely fashion and even then you have the right to disagree with their results or suggestions. My 2 kids have IEP's and my middle daughter as a 504. The IEP's are overseen by case workers and the 504 is overseen by the guidance counselor. The GC has to over see a huge quantity of kids, and doesnt necessarily have the time for really solid individual oversight. My a child with less severe ADHD this may be OK, but a child with severe symtoms would get lost in the shuffle with this kind of monitoring. The IEP's have to be revised or at least agreed upon each school year to continue or add/ change any accomodations. The 504 is sort of just put in motion and IME the parents have to really stay on top of the teachers and school environment in order for it to be effective. I hope I am making sense but check out wright's law (wrightslaw.com) to maybe understand more.

gpfan5
05-18-13, 09:37 AM
Thanks Sarah Sweets, I appreciate it. I'll continue to do more research this weekend and check in with my daughter's old elem. school counselor to get her opinion, too. We developed a good relationship and hopefully she'll share some ideas.

I have a meeting with the school counselor at middle school on Monday and when we spoke Friday, she was obviously overwhelmed. She suggested a study skills class for DD, which would mean that DD would have to take a break (or possibly eliminate altogether?) choir and that's not really an option PLUS I don't really think that's what she needs. Is the study skills class going to teach her to focus more in class? help her with homework when her medication wears off? probably not... with organization - maybe! but then we'd be taking away DD's favorite class and currently the class she also does best in. We'd be willing to pay for tutoring/study skills/organizational skills study this summer if it would help her out next year.

Possibly she needs to go up from her 27 mg.concerta, but her appetite is already so reduced, not sure if this is wise. May talk to the dr. about a change in meds., we'll see

thanks for listening and sharing, I appreciate it!

zette93
05-18-13, 10:53 AM
I would suggest that you (or better your husband if he doesn't have ADHD) check the assignment notebook each night and bug each teacher daily who hasn't initialed it. If your daughter doesn't bring it home consistently, that needs to be solved...it's not doing her any good if she doesn't have it.

The book Smart But Scattered might be helpful. There's also a new version aimed at teens.

gpfan5
05-19-13, 10:31 AM
Thanks, Zette, will have hubby do that and hopefully I'll be back on my meds by this fall (or rather late summer, ha ha , school starts back so early) and can help, too.

gpfan5
05-19-13, 10:32 AM
I would suggest that you (or better your husband if he doesn't have ADHD) check the assignment notebook each night and bug each teacher daily who hasn't initialed it. If your daughter doesn't bring it home consistently, that needs to be solved...it's not doing her any good if she doesn't have it.

The book Smart But Scattered might be helpful. There's also a new version aimed at teens.

will also check out the book. I have heard of it, maybe Peggy Ramundo? I just got one of her other books.