View Full Version : Med Shortage Making it Difficult to Function

bnwebm
05-20-13, 03:36 PM
I'm not new, but haven't been on these forums for years and quite honestly, don't remember my login,lol (shocking, right?). Anyway, i've been taking 20mg of Methylin ER 3 times a day for years, after several trials with other meds that didn't work as well for me. The problem is the apparent shortage of the medication, in NY (where I used to live) and in FL. The best i've been able to get was a 10 day supply about 2 weeks ago. I had no choice but to take what the pharmacy had and it negated the actual med count on the script (I relinquished a 90 day supply to get the 10 day). I have another 90 day script still at that pharmacy, which is in another state and they have ordered it from several sources, to no avail. I also have another 30 day script and can't find a single pharmacy within 200 miles that has the med. Functioning at this point is damn near impossible but there doesn't seem to be a supply of this medication anywhere. Anyone else experiencing this lack of medication?

Cloughc
05-30-13, 02:48 AM
I just found this out, wal-mart couldn't fill my prescript so I went to a different pharmacy, Medicaid wouldn't cover the cost of it and it was 101.00. I just can't afford it. I will be talking to my doctor and see, I might be taking withdrawal medications. But in the end I'll go back to making things a mess and wearing out my carpet.

dvdnvwls
05-30-13, 03:16 AM
Methylin is simply Ritalin with another name, isn't it? Is there really a Ritalin shortage?

CrimsonDreams
05-30-13, 04:20 PM
I also couldn't get my prescription filled this month. The pharmacy said that they couldn't fill the prescription, and didn't know when they would have the medication in the stock. :( Good thing is that I have an appointment in about two weeks, and have enough medication to hold me over, but this sucks. :( I'm going to have to switched to something else... who knows what?

dvdnvwls
05-30-13, 04:48 PM
Again, Methylin and Ritalin are the exact same - is there really a Ritalin shortage? Seems hard to believe.

CrimsonDreams
05-30-13, 10:26 PM
I just found this, through a google search: not quite sure if it helps or not. According to this website, there is a shortage. :(http://www.ashp.org/DrugShortages/Current/bulletin.aspx?id=752

dvdnvwls
05-30-13, 10:40 PM
Well. There you go.

Thank you - I didn't know how to find that.

salleh
05-31-13, 02:34 PM
Oh S*** oh F*** oh D***.....great the shortages are starting up again ......fabulous ....wonderful ....

I cannot take this .....in no time, the docs will be prescribing Adderall ....and then there'll be an Adderall shortage, then a dex shortage,......

at no time will there be a shortage of the name brand only meds of any kind ......the expensive kind, Vyvanse and that one like Ritalin

weird time for it to happen, usually it comes about Sept, at the start of the new school year ....

SweetCode
05-31-13, 05:53 PM
there was a huge ritalin shortage in brazil during march, april and the first half of may, things seems back to normal here.

bnwebm
05-31-13, 11:53 PM
Yes, the shortage appears to also include Ritalin SR, according to the pharmacists with whom i've spoken. Unfortunately, regular Ritalin spikes and lowers my blood sugar levels too much and I have tried Adderal but it wasn't effective for me. It's both frustrating and ridiculous. It seems they don't have enough of the raw materials to produce the medications fast enough.

eliz630
06-03-13, 07:51 PM
There has been a shortage here where I am (S. Carolina) for about 4 months now. I have been taking 20 mg 3x a day for years, but a few months ago I could not find it ANYWHERE.

Had to have my Dr write the following month's script for double the # of pills but at 10mg since my usual pharmacy said they had plenty of those. That month (March) I had no problem getting them filled. Then in April I had to call all over the place and almost did not find it anywhere. I finally found almost my whole script at Sam's Club, so I got it filled.

Then May.... totally ridiculous. I need #180 of the 10mg, and called around to over 20 places, pretty much everywhere within an hour drive. I could not find it ANYWHERE. I finally found a pharmacy that had 73 in stock. Called my Dr and they said they would write another script in 10 days so I could try to find the rest of my script. When it came time to fill the 2nd script I had no luck. I tried everywhere, including all chain stores, grocery stores, even the small town pharmacists. I finally found a place that had it, a family owned pharmacy, and they wanted over $300 for it.... It usually costs me between $10 and $30.

Finally I found a Walmart with 102 in stock pretty far away, I begged them to hold it for me and they did. Not sure what in the heck I am going to do for June. I cannot and will not pay 10 times the normal cost for my meds, but I also can't function well without them. I have been trying to skip here and there just so I can make them last if I really cannot find any this month.

It's pretty crazy. This happened a few years back too, but it wasn't this bad. I remember it took me a little while calling around to find it in stock but I always did, and always the full script. This time? Not so much. about 75% of the places I called had zero and were not expecting any to come in anytime soon. The other 25% had like 7, 12, 16 or whatever small quantity in stock.

bnwebm
06-04-13, 02:27 PM
Wow, ouch, sorry you're having such problems. I have also had to drive pretty far, to GA, to get what had remained in the immediate area. Now, no one has the script at all here and i've been out for about a month.

There has been a shortage here where I am (S. Carolina) for about 4 months now. I have been taking 20 mg 3x a day for years, but a few months ago I could not find it ANYWHERE.

Had to have my Dr write the following month's script for double the # of pills but at 10mg since my usual pharmacy said they had plenty of those. That month (March) I had no problem getting them filled. Then in April I had to call all over the place and almost did not find it anywhere. I finally found almost my whole script at Sam's Club, so I got it filled.

Then May.... totally ridiculous. I need #180 of the 10mg, and called around to over 20 places, pretty much everywhere within an hour drive. I could not find it ANYWHERE. I finally found a pharmacy that had 73 in stock. Called my Dr and they said they would write another script in 10 days so I could try to find the rest of my script. When it came time to fill the 2nd script I had no luck. I tried everywhere, including all chain stores, grocery stores, even the small town pharmacists. I finally found a place that had it, a family owned pharmacy, and they wanted over $300 for it.... It usually costs me between $10 and $30.

Finally I found a Walmart with 102 in stock pretty far away, I begged them to hold it for me and they did. Not sure what in the heck I am going to do for June. I cannot and will not pay 10 times the normal cost for my meds, but I also can't function well without them. I have been trying to skip here and there just so I can make them last if I really cannot find any this month.

It's pretty crazy. This happened a few years back too, but it wasn't this bad. I remember it took me a little while calling around to find it in stock but I always did, and always the full script. This time? Not so much. about 75% of the places I called had zero and were not expecting any to come in anytime soon. The other 25% had like 7, 12, 16 or whatever small quantity in stock.

Fraser_0762
06-04-13, 02:39 PM
What could actually be causing the shortages anyway?

How the hell can everywhere just suddenly run out?

SweetCode
06-04-13, 05:00 PM
Here in brazil the shortage was caused by a fire in novartis factory and tough customs law for importing the MPH. The ANVISA (brazilian FDA) is even creating special laws for shortages situations and investigating Novartis in order to avoid such crisis again.

There's also a vyvanse shortage (I don't know the current situation) caused only due to customs law (shire doesn't import vyvanse in brazil , each pharmacy has to handle the importing by themselves...)

Ill_Favors
06-05-13, 01:11 PM
Shortage here as well in Austin. My doctor wanted me to start Ritalin SR yesterday, but none of my covered pharmacies had them, well except for one that was over an hour away.

We increased my Adderall IR instead.

eliz630
06-05-13, 07:34 PM
I had my June Dr's visit today and we basically gave up on the Ritalin. Maybe in a few months when this shortage is over. So, as of now, I am switched over to Adderall which I have never taken and am just a bit worried about. I have not had a med switch since 2008 and that was Concerta to Ritalin b/c I lost my insurance and the Concerta was going to be $400.

Anyways. I just took my first dosage of Adderall, and I am assuming it has not kicked in yet, but hopefully when it does it won't totally wreck my life for weeks while I adjust. Sadly it was more expensive than I hoped, $90 for #90 10mg. But, still, better than spending 5 or 6 hours calling every pharmacy in the phone book and then finally finding 1/5th of your script.

Blanched Dubois
06-05-13, 09:48 PM
oh there will always be one thing or another - ask your pdoc to give you something you can get ?

cillovely
06-12-13, 11:58 AM
My son was recently switched from Adderall XR to the Ritalin LA. First I had to fight with insurance becuase to start the switch we only did 10 mg, which isn't available in generic and my insurance wouldn't cover it. Finally the dr's office got the insurance to cover it at $50 for a month's supply. Then we upped it to 20 mg. Great, comes in generic and is actually even cheaper than the generic Adderall. So went to get a refill done the other day. "Sorry we are waiting to get some tomorrow". Went yesterday to see, and it was just like "nope sorry we don't have them." With no explination or anything. Why give me the run-around the first time is my #1 question!
Sent hubby with the script to another pharmacy to see if we can get them there. I haven't heard yet if he had sucess or not.

But this is serious, there are a lot of children AND adults (and parents) who depend on this to get them thru the day. How can they just "run out"? Is my son going to have to go back to Adderall? It can't be good to go back and forth no matter how similar they are.

Carol
06-16-13, 08:28 AM
I'm also in Florida and I haven't been able to get my methylphenidate prescriptions filled in 4 months. I take both the immediate release and the extended release. One month the doctor gave me a prescription for 10 mg (for twice the amount) of the IR because it was more available and I was able to fill it one time at a family pharmacy for $175 for #120. The next month he gave me a prescription for Adderall, which doesn't work as well for me, but I had no problem filling it (sometimes its Adderall that is in short supply). The price goes way up during and right after a shortage. Since the shortage is supposed to be ending now, I checked Costco recently and they did have the 10mg immediate release for $150 (its usually $20 there).

It seems like these meds just aren't taken seriously--like its just for kids or teenagers that need it to study, so no big deal. But I totaled my car a few years back when I had run out of medication and almost killed myself and my son. Now, I don't drive without it. And there are a lot of adults and especially teenagers like me, and its a serious safety issue for us and the public. I hope the driving issue become more recognized and emphasized because it brings perspective to the issue for the non-ADD people out there who just don't get how serious these shortages are for us.

The reasons given -- shortage of raw supplies is one --are pure bs. This is a solvable problem, and a shortage of 4 months is ridiculous. I read that the FDA said that there is no shortage because there is enough product in pharmacies, it just may not be in the correct formulation or dosage for the prescription that is presented. Huh? That's just stupid bureaucracy of the worse kind.