View Full Version : Increased tolerance/bad habits, time to stop?

josh989
05-21-13, 03:30 AM
22 y/o male.

I've been on vyvanse for about 4 months now. I was on concerta briefly but switched because it had hardly any effect. I started off at 40mg and just last week had my dosage increased to 60mg/day. The drug is working, but I keep feeling like I need to take more and more to keep the effects consistent. Although my doctor just recently increased my dosage to 60mg/day, I've been taking ~60mg a day for a month or two. The issue isn't so much the strength but the length of time the medication lasts. Vyvanse is a major pain in the *** because it takes so long to peak and doesn't last nearly as long as doctors expects it to. For me it lasts around 6-7 hours from the moment I swallow that pill. After that 6 hour mark I'm just about baseline and ready for another dose. Is that normal?

The past week I've been doubling up on my 60mg doses, spaced a few (2-4) hours apart. A few times I took up to 180mg throughout the day. At face value it sounds like that's waaaay too much vyvanse but physically it feels right. I don't get high from it and never have. If anything I have the opposite effects of someone who gets high. I become less social, more quiet. I'll shut everything out around me and put all my energy/attention into one task. While the drug is working I've got no increase in negative side effects; when it wears off I can have pretty bad insomnia, which leads to moody/depression if I don't get a good night's rest. I miss at least 1 night of sleep a week and my sleep schedule is all out of whack.

I'm at a crossroads now. I'm not sure if vyvanse is right for me. I've got a history with drugs. I had a 2 year stint where I wanted to try every drug under the sun and only came short of a few particularly nasty ones. Chalk it up to going off to college and always being curious. With that being said I've never had a real issue with addiction. I've not used any illicit drugs in well over a year, not even weed; not because I forbid myself for my health/financial/social wellbeing, but because I prefered being sober. This isn't the case with vyvanse.

I feel my vyvanse use is becoming unhealthy. I'd like to continue taking ADD medication but doubt vyvanse is the right choice for me. The major problem I have with it is it's marketed as long lasting when in reality it just isn't. I'll be left with no coverage halfway through the day when I need it, making me want to take another dose and validating that bad choice.... This in turn rapidly increases tolerance and cause insomnia/other side effects. It's a recipe for disaster when I stand back and look at the situation.

Have any of you been in the same boat? Do you think a change of medication is in order? I think the instant release meds would be better for me as I could easily control doses and not have to worry about insomnia, but I've never tried them. What do you think?

sarahsweets
05-21-13, 04:18 AM
what you are doing is extremely dangerous and also would make your doctor cut you off in a flash if he or she knew. Its not always the meds, sometimes its the behavior associated with the meds. Do you really think that a different med would mean you would still take it exactly as prescribed?

Spartan_Worrier
05-22-13, 05:27 AM
I'm going through exactly the same mate. I think anyone who has gone through recreational drug use will find it hard not to abuse meds like this. As soon as you open those doors to drug abuse they stay open and people who don't understand will just say things like "you need stop, this is bad" etc etc. You aren't alone though, so don't feel guilty or fed up. I understand exactly how you feel. The problem is drug abuse isn't logical, it can control you easier than you can control it.

You could try asking to get your meds handed out daily? I may try this, but like you i am considering ditching meds alltogether as it's just too easy to fall into the trap if abuse.

josh989
05-22-13, 07:21 PM
I do think if I had a different med it would help. My problem isn't with taking more to get higher, it's with redosing to last longer, which gives me nasty insomnia. I redose because it wears off before it should. How should I be expected to "take it exactly as prescribed" when it's prescribed in an unrealistic way? My doctor expects it to lasts from 8am-8pm. By 2pm its worn off. From what I've read on these forums and other places people who take instant release meds take them every 2-3 hours as needed. That sounds like it would be much easier to manage. I could use them when I NEED them instead of taking a pill that takes 2 hours to be at its best, lasts nearly half the time your doctor thinks it does, and leaves you with insomnia.

dvdnvwls
05-24-13, 05:12 AM
You can split your Vyvanse to make it last longer. Open the capsule and empty it into a container, stir in water, drink half now and half at lunch time (takes a little while to kick in, so don't wait till 2:00 to drink the other half). This procedure is no longer strictly recommended by the manufacturer, but it's a hell of a lot better than taking a double dose.

HappyChelc
05-24-13, 06:05 AM
I'm going through exactly the same mate. I think anyone who has gone through recreational drug use will find it hard not to abuse meds like this. As soon as you open those doors to drug abuse they stay open and people who don't understand will just say things like "you need stop, this is bad" etc etc. You aren't alone though, so don't feel guilty or fed up. I understand exactly how you feel. The problem is drug abuse isn't logical, it can control you easier than you can control it.

You could try asking to get your meds handed out daily? I may try this, but like you i am considering ditching meds alltogether as it's just too easy to fall into the trap if abuse.
I'm glad i'm not the only one who feels this way. been clean for YEARS but still hate to feel like I may fall back into that lifestyle. Or even the WANT to induldge. But you said it perfectly those who havent ever struggled with addiction dont see it the same.

sarahsweets
05-24-13, 06:09 AM
Still, if you are taking THAT much more, it becomes more of an issue of abuse even if thats not what your intentions are. If you dont think your doctor is being fair in his prescriptions methods you should seek a second opinion.

daveddd
05-24-13, 06:24 AM

i was a serious cocaine addict (several rehabs, prison time) and i do understand

and all i can say is, it is bad, and you do need to stop

ive seen a lot, and being on a medication that has to be hidden from you, and handed out is not a good idea

i spent years dancing around my addiction, you have to look it in the face

i have no idea if the OP is abusing, i never admitted i was until i stopped

but since it came up, i thought i would add the view of an ex junkie

dresser
05-29-13, 12:38 PM
Me too Dave I Had a personal grudge against drugs (they killed my bud) so my mind set, said NO to drugs. until things started to change, booze was my choice, but then
the time period of GOOD time was getting shorter N it took more booze, soo guess
what ? yep I sat on my luxury liner floating on the river of denial N justified it to be O.K. to re-enforce the booze N man it cost me Any how I did pull that little sucky soother out of my mouth, N I recognize them today: the sucky soothers I mean: so just remember = "Said the
bad little girl, to the good little Girl,Gee its hard to be good. Said the good little girl to
the bad little girl I'TS, got to be hard to be good. this is an excerpt from my experiences with situations OO ye hugs to all

dresser
05-29-13, 12:53 PM
OOO yea I just about remembered the GUYS name from my area who knew all the combinations of mix N con-cokshuns , to make the medicine go down better. Man
to think I used to envey his knowledge. the girls used to go gaga around him.
I was some sick puppy but then so was he so many are dead now sad