View Full Version : Stinking...

Fuzzy12
05-21-13, 07:16 AM
I smoke and it makes me stink. Hubby is always complaining that I smell of smoke and I know, I do. I keep chewing gum, brush my teeth, use a mouth freshener, mouth wash, deodorant, wash my clothes after wearing them once, etc. I still stink. My clothes stink. It's disgusting and I feel guilty for subjecting non-smokers to this smell. I know, it's not pleasant.

The best thing to do would be of course to quit but I don't want to quit right now. Any advice on how to counteract the smell?

Raye
05-21-13, 08:17 AM
I've been told there really is no way to counteract it. When I was in HS before I started smoking because I smelled like it, one of my teachers accused me of being a smoker when I wasn't- it was my mother who was the heavy smoker.

But yes, the smell is indeed awful to non smokers. It sounds like you are taking all the necessary precautions already if you aren't ready to quit yet.

DrZoidberg
05-21-13, 09:06 AM
I smoke and it makes me stink. Hubby is always complaining that I smell of smoke and I know, I do. I keep chewing gum, brush my teeth, use a mouth freshener, mouth wash, deodorant, wash my clothes after wearing them once, etc. I still stink. My clothes stink. It's disgusting and I feel guilty for subjecting non-smokers to this smell. I know, it's not pleasant.

The best thing to do would be of course to quit but I don't want to quit right now. Any advice on how to counteract the smell?

Nicotine gum

Spartan_Worrier
05-22-13, 04:52 AM
Smoke outside and down wind lol. Then wash hand(s) and have a chewing gum. Menthol cigs tend to smell less too. Why has he suddenly started being bothered about the smell? I could understand him wanting you to quit for the health reasons, but the smell?

Fuzzy12
05-22-13, 06:42 AM
Smoke outside and down wind lol. Then wash hand(s) and have a chewing gum. Menthol cigs tend to smell less too. Why has he suddenly started being bothered about the smell? I could understand him wanting you to quit for the health reasons, but the smell?

I always smoke outside and it's always windy here. :D

I smoke exclusively menthols (because they taste much better :o) and chew gum like a maniac. I keep washing my hands too. :rolleyes:

Well, he is cutting down on smoking. I try not to smoke around him to reduce the temptation but he can still smell it. His smoking cessation medication is supposed to induce aversion to cigarettes but even before he started taking it, he didn't like me smoking.

stef
05-22-13, 09:11 AM
I'm not sure about this, but I've noticed my hair spray kind of covers it... try the kind that's not aerosol (Dove or Garnier, well I don't know what brands you have in the UKK). you could just kind of spray it near, not directly into your hair. Personally I use tons because my hair will otherwise go completely flat and foreward. anyway I digress!

Lunacie
05-22-13, 09:36 AM
I'm very sensitive to many smells, including cigarette smoke. My hubby
was a smoker and I didn't enjoy being near him at all. The smell was in
his hair, his skin, his clothes - but his hair and his breath were the worst.

Even if he used mouthwash or chewing gum, it was like spraying air
freshener - it didn't banish the cigarette odor, it just added another layer
of stink to the stink that was already there.

stef
05-22-13, 09:46 AM
yikes I hadn't thought of that...

SweetCode
05-22-13, 11:41 AM
Are clove cigarretes like gudang garam legal in your country? they smell like incense :))

Spacemaster
05-22-13, 01:20 PM
E-cig?

mildadhd
05-22-13, 03:37 PM

Maybe smoking through 3 or 4 straws taped together,

with the wind at your back?

sarahsweets
05-24-13, 06:14 AM
WHOA! he smokes but complains about the way you smell?

There is no such thing as being a "little bit of a smoker". Its like being a little bit pregnant-not possible. If he smokes you would think he understands the difficulties you have.
I always smoke outside and it's always windy here. :D

I smoke exclusively menthols (because they taste much better :o) and chew gum like a maniac. I keep washing my hands too. :rolleyes:

Well, he is cutting down on smoking. I try not to smoke around him to reduce the temptation but he can still smell it. His smoking cessation medication is supposed to induce aversion to cigarettes but even before he started taking it, he didn't like me smoking.

Lunacie
05-24-13, 09:17 AM
WHOA! he smokes but complains about the way you smell?

There is no such thing as being a "little bit of a smoker". Its like being a little bit pregnant-not possible. If he smokes you would think he understands the difficulties you have.

It sounds like he wants to quit and he's "guilting" Fuzzy into quitting too.