View Full Version : The Music Lounge

Somegeezer
05-22-13, 02:45 PM
Welcome to The Music Lounge.

There didn't seem to be a subforum for musicians, like there are for the likes of other arts, which I found rather odd.

Surely, music would be something a lot of ADHDers would be enjoying doing. Creative projects are always a great love of mine.

In this particular thread, I feel that it should be a place specifically for -your- personal musical projects. There is a separate thread for sharing music you just enjoy listening to.

No limits to genres, no limit to live or recorded. I'd love to just see some of the amazing things we all manage to create.

:D

Somegeezer
05-22-13, 02:53 PM
As I started this thread, I suppose I should be first to add something here.

This is one of my current projects, Koboloris. A Symphonic Blackened Death Metal, 2-man project. I play bass and do the vocals. My first time doing vocals in any band, and actually got quite into it. :D
I've been playing bass since I was 14, for various bands, though. :)

<iframe style="position: relative; display: block; width: 400px; height: 100px;" src="http://bandcamp.com/EmbeddedPlayer/v=2/album=3546384157/size=venti/bgcol=FFFFFF/linkcol=4285BB/" allowtransparency="true" frameborder="0" height="100" width="400">Koboloris by Koboloris (http://threerooks.bandcamp.com/album/koboloris)</iframe>

CthulhuMinion
06-01-13, 12:26 AM
Dude... that's raw as f***! I love it.

I have a one man Doom-ish Death Metal project in the works. I tried to upload some of my demos but it's not working for some reason.

I have been playing drums for 15 years and guitar for about 4, although I've always been way more serious about the former.

I moved from PA to a small one bedroom apartment in Seattle and had to sell my drums. It was like losing a family member. Sooo, I got more serious about guitar. I basically record riffs and layer them using the RC-30 Loop Station and then I import them to my PC. Then I sync it with drum beats I make in FL Studio. I am pretty good at mimicking ghost notes and different dynamics but it doesn't come close to live drums.

It's good to know that there is another extreme metal enthusiast here. Good thread.

Flory
06-01-13, 12:39 AM
Just listening to grime and hip hop from the pre swag era Uk's finest :D

Somegeezer
06-01-13, 12:47 PM
It's good to know that there is another extreme metal enthusiast here. Good thread.

Many thanks for the compliment. :)

and yes, it's great to know that other Metalheads are around these parts. A particularly looked-down-upon genre. But I connect with it more than most others.

I am also quite a proficient drummer, but have never owned my own kit. I would love to, though. But after all the money I've put into all my other gear, it could be a while to save up those pennies again. :p

Just listening to grime and hip hop from the pre swag era Uk's finest :D
Do you play music yourself? As this thread is more for personal projects. If so, don't let us Metalheads put you off posting. :D

CthulhuMinion
06-01-13, 06:19 PM
I had over 3k worth of drum gear and I only got 700 for all of it. It was tough to do.

I just moved to a sweet cabin surrounded by snow capped mountains. The perfect place to invoke the sound of the dark lord. :p

Once I get a job I want to start buying drums again. I'm never buying brand new or custom stuff ever again. I want old, beat up vintage stuff.

It's funny how you never really get worse at drumming by not being behind the kit for a while. I always think of learning to drum like learning to ride a bike. However, I think of learning guitar as learning a new language. If you don't constantly practice it your skill suffers. If I don't play guitar for a week, my playing suffers.

But yeah, I'm looking forward to hearing more of your stuff. It has a Norwegian Black Metal vibe but has enough depth and variety to stand on it's own with out the comparison. Maybe it's just the recording quality, but to me it has a really desolate and airy atmosphere.

Somegeezer
06-02-13, 01:30 AM
It's funny how you never really get worse at drumming by not being behind the kit for a while. I always think of learning to drum like learning to ride a bike. However, I think of learning guitar as learning a new language. If you don't constantly practice it your skill suffers. If I don't play guitar for a week, my playing suffers.

But yeah, I'm looking forward to hearing more of your stuff. It has a Norwegian Black Metal vibe but has enough depth and variety to stand on it's own with out the comparison. Maybe it's just the recording quality, but to me it has a really desolate and airy atmosphere.
I think it's a rhythmic vs melodic kinda thing. I always manage to understand and reproduce rhythms quite easily. But as you say, the other side is like a new language. It has a flow, and particular intonations. Very difficult to keep up well.
It's been one of my main practice goals recently, to shape up my melodic playing.

and if you like the Koboloris stuff, we're working on a full album at the moment. Something less random, and instead more specified to Folkloric stories. Hopefully with the music being more consistent, too. :D

CthulhuMinion
06-02-13, 05:57 PM
Do you use actual keyboards or music software? I'm trying to find some good synth samples but nothing I try seems authentic.

Somegeezer
06-04-13, 02:12 AM
Do you use actual keyboards or music software? I'm trying to find some good synth samples but nothing I try seems authentic.
I would generally use a keyboard to software midi, rather than a hardware synth. Only because I can't afford anything fancy. I'd love something from Nord, though.

But I'd recommend Omnisphere if you have the money. Even looking at some of the great free stuff, if you're looking for something smaller and more specific; Synth1 and Crystal, I think are good ones.

josh989
06-06-13, 09:17 PM
I make electronic music now and then. It's pretty fun. I play guitar more than anything but have never recorded myself. I've attempted to make a few dubstep remixes/originals... surprisingly I don't listen to dubstep at all, it's just really fun to make. I haven't completed most of my tracks sadly :(

This is a dubstep track I made based on mortal kombat and the kung fu tv series
http://snd.sc/1baH7gE

Insomnia remix, not finished
http://snd.sc/1baHuYl

I like this one, not dubstep, not finished
http://snd.sc/1baHFDb

Halloween theme dubstep remix, again not finished
http://snd.sc/1baHM1u

Somegeezer
06-07-13, 06:50 AM
I think your stuff is pretty cool, Josh.

I'd probably especially be interested in an album of that third one. Really Trance-sounding.

upworkhometvbed
06-10-13, 11:47 PM
As I started this thread, I suppose I should be first to add something here.

This is one of my current projects, Koboloris. A Symphonic Blackened Death Metal, 2-man project. I play bass and do the vocals. My first time doing vocals in any band, and actually got quite into it. :D
I've been playing bass since I was 14, for various bands, though. :)

<iframe style="position: relative; display: block; width: 400px; height: 100px;" src="http://bandcamp.com/EmbeddedPlayer/v=2/album=3546384157/size=venti/bgcol=FFFFFF/linkcol=4285BB/" allowtransparency="true" frameborder="0" height="100" width="400">Koboloris by Koboloris (http://threerooks.bandcamp.com/album/koboloris)</iframe>

Dude... this is pretty brutal. Keep it up! Maybe I'll get some of my music on here.

upworkhometvbed
06-10-13, 11:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Yy83g5OspA

This is me a few months ago playing a song I wrote like 6 or 7 years ago.

Somegeezer
06-13-13, 01:33 PM
Dude... this is pretty brutal. Keep it up! Maybe I'll get some of my music on here.
Many thanks! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Yy83g5OspA

This is me a few months ago playing a song I wrote like 6 or 7 years ago.
Love the energy. Sounds very 90s Punk-influenced, too. :cool:

CthulhuMinion
06-23-13, 10:40 PM
Ok, I finally uploaded one of my demos I'm toying around with. I have a bunch of really awesome riffs that I am trying to piece together. This is by no means the structure of this song. It's still a work in progress. i didn't even edit out noise or count ins, but it flows nice and has that classic ****ty black metal prison recording quality.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kR9pQW-ysUs" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

By the way Somegeezer, where can I download your music? I really have to have it on my iPod.

Somegeezer
06-27-13, 04:38 AM
By the way Somegeezer, where can I download your music? I really have to have it on my iPod.
Quite enjoying the rawness of what you posted up.
As for downloading my stuff, the link I posted to the Koboloris stuff, should take you to the Three Rooks bandcamp. All Koboloris stuff is free download. =]

Also working on a new project, very recently. So not even close to having anything released. But it's called Plagueship, and here's a demo of some guitar and drums:

<iframe src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F97 590740&color=ff6600&auto_play=false&show_artwork=false" frameborder="no" height="166" scrolling="no" width="100%"></iframe>

[ https://soundcloud.com/somegeezer/plagueship-the-falling-facade ] - The widget doesn't seem to be working for me at the moment.

CthulhuMinion
06-28-13, 07:21 PM
That's super Swedish sounding! Awesome!

My project is called Poor Shade. Shade as in Dante's Inferno depiction of souls plummeting down to Hell's first circle. I'm nowhere near ready to make better recordings yet. It's just me alone right now. I really want to at least find another person to do vocals and write guitar riffs with me. That would make it go way smoother.

Somegeezer
06-29-13, 06:39 AM
That's super Swedish sounding! Awesome!

My project is called Poor Shade. Shade as in Dante's Inferno depiction of souls plummeting down to Hell's first circle. I'm nowhere near ready to make better recordings yet. It's just me alone right now. I really want to at least find another person to do vocals and write guitar riffs with me. That would make it go way smoother.
I thought so too. Reminds me quite a bit of some In Flames stuff. Around the time of Colony/Clayman. Some of the next stuff in the project is a lot more technical though. But probably equally as Swedish, with our love for the likes of Meshuggah. :D

and hey, depending what kinda vocal stuff you're after, I may be able to help. The Koboloris stuff is me on vocals. I'm no good as a guitarist though. :p

CthulhuMinion
06-29-13, 08:11 PM
^^ Yeah I heard some Meshuggah during the slower part for sure, although much less chaotic than most of their stuff haha.

And as far as vocals go, that could certainly work because I don't plan on taking this project anywhere beyond being a studio thing. I can even send you my wav files from my loopstation so it can be recorded coming out of an amp instead of directly into a PC.

I originally came up with the concept of this project when I lived 3000 miles across the country so I was bouncing ideas back and forth with one of my buddies. He was originally supposed to do vocals but I'm not sure how that's gonna play out anymore. I still have a ton of writing to do. I wanna get at least 5 or 6 songs done for an EP before I move any further.

So, maybe you will receive a PM from me in a few months asking you to do some vocals. I really like your vocal work so that would be awesome. Maybe I'll just have multiple vocalists on the record.

Somegeezer
06-30-13, 08:28 AM
^^ Yeah I heard some Meshuggah during the slower part for sure, although much less chaotic than most of their stuff haha.

And as far as vocals go, that could certainly work because I don't plan on taking this project anywhere beyond being a studio thing. I can even send you my wav files from my loopstation so it can be recorded coming out of an amp instead of directly into a PC.

I originally came up with the concept of this project when I lived 3000 miles across the country so I was bouncing ideas back and forth with one of my buddies. He was originally supposed to do vocals but I'm not sure how that's gonna play out anymore. I still have a ton of writing to do. I wanna get at least 5 or 6 songs done for an EP before I move any further.

So, maybe you will receive a PM from me in a few months asking you to do some vocals. I really like your vocal work so that would be awesome. Maybe I'll just have multiple vocalists on the record.
I'll be sure to post up some more chaotic sounds eventually, I'm sure.

and sending a PM my way is cool with me. All the projects I've been getting into lately, it's keeping me productive. A great thing to have happen, when the ADHD is usually holding me back. :rolleyes:

CthulhuMinion
07-14-13, 01:08 AM
I wrote this today, start to finish in about 6 hours. I usually stay in D Standard, but I dropped my E string down to G (so the first 2 strings are an octave apart). I ended up with a pretty interesting Blackened Sludge type song.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5WmtUGQWdRQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Somegeezer
08-08-13, 07:39 AM
I don't think I showed off this project yet? But It's something I keep working on lately.

<iframe width="100%" height="166" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F10 2022410"></iframe>

[https://soundcloud.com/somegeezer/plagueship-the-falling-fa-ade] - Direct link, in case the iframe one still doesn't like the site.

Fuzzy12
08-08-13, 07:47 AM
I love buying little instruments though I usually lose interest in them very quickly. Apart from a proper transverse flute, I've got all kinds of other flute types and a few years ago I bought a kid sized bagpipe. :D haven't tried to play it yet though...

I just got a sliding flute and a peruvian pendant ocarina. The slide flute is just meant to annoy people, I think. :rolleyes: It's impossible to play well but the ocarina sounds quite nice. :)

Somegeezer
08-12-13, 10:39 AM
I love buying little instruments though I usually lose interest in them very quickly. Apart from a proper transverse flute, I've got all kinds of other flute types and a few years ago I bought a kid sized bagpipe. :D haven't tried to play it yet though...

I just got a sliding flute and a peruvian pendant ocarina. The slide flute is just meant to annoy people, I think. :rolleyes: It's impossible to play well but the ocarina sounds quite nice. :)
Slide flute is definitely more of a comedic instrument, along with the linked of the kazoo. :p But not impossible to play something on them.

I love the sound of an ocarina. One of my favourite of those breathy types of sounds. The flutes are cool and all, but the ocarina really has a character I enjoy. :D

and bagpipes are great. I'd love to learn to play. The Folky type instruments are often some of the most interesting in terms of engineering. and they always have great sounds. :)

Fuzzy12
08-12-13, 11:44 AM
Geezer, I like the track you posted. It sounds like death metal (forgive me if I'm wrong). I've never listened much to death metal though I've always liked the instrumentals.

I'd love to improvise or compose on the piano metal-style. You know, something very heavy and rhythmical but at the same time melodic. But so far, I can only improvise melodies with a simple accompaniment.

Does anyone know Bathory?? I used to love them as a kid and I've just rediscovered his Hammerheart album. Brilliant :eek:

Somegeezer
08-13-13, 07:51 AM
Geezer, I like the track you posted. It sounds like death metal (forgive me if I'm wrong). I've never listened much to death metal though I've always liked the instrumentals.

I'd love to improvise or compose on the piano metal-style. You know, something very heavy and rhythmical but at the same time melodic. But so far, I can only improvise melodies with a simple accompaniment.

Does anyone know Bathory?? I used to love them as a kid and I've just rediscovered his Hammerheart album. Brilliant :eek:
Thank you. If you mean the most recent one I posted, it is Melodic Death Metal. =]

If you want to play some Metal piano, you may be interested in Fleshgod Apocalypse, Kamelot and Dream Theater. Very different sounding bands, but all do piano rather well.

Know of Bathory, but have no idea if I'm a fan. It's pretty typical Black Metal as far as I remember. Which is also a great style for a lot of piano. It's not an instrument that many people would associate with Metal in general, but so many bands use it. Even though some may see it as rather cheesy, and only of use in Classical, I still find it to be quite a beautiful sounding instrument. :D

Fuzzy12
08-13-13, 07:58 AM
Thank you. If you mean the most recent one I posted, it is Melodic Death Metal. =]

If you want to play some Metal piano, you may be interested in Fleshgod Apocalypse, Kamelot and Dream Theater. Very different sounding bands, but all do piano rather well.

Know of Bathory, but have no idea if I'm a fan. It's pretty typical Black Metal as far as I remember. Which is also a great style for a lot of piano. It's not an instrument that many people would associate with Metal in general, but so many bands use it. Even though some may see it as rather cheesy, and only of use in Classical, I still find it to be quite a beautiful sounding instrument. :D

The early Bathory is mostly black metal but Hammerheart would now be considered as Viking metal.

I think, the piano is extremely versatile. I play mainly classical stuff but I think that metal and western classical music are quite related in a way. In both the instruments are as important as the vocals, and the songs are complex and technically challenging. Besides, both can be pretty fast and heavy (think of Beethoven).

I like dream theater though I'm not too fond of the singer's voice.

Somegeezer
08-14-13, 05:07 AM
The early Bathory is mostly black metal but Hammerheart would now be considered as Viking metal.

I think, the piano is extremely versatile. I play mainly classical stuff but I think that metal and western classical music are quite related in a way. In both the instruments are as important as the vocals, and the songs are complex and technically challenging. Besides, both can be pretty fast and heavy (think of Beethoven).

I like dream theater though I'm not too fond of the singer's voice.
There's not really a such thing as Viking Metal. Most of what is called that, would either come under Folk Metal, or Melodic Death Metal. Usually having styles of both.

I think their singer is definitely a weak link, but their guitarist is the one I really don't enjoy. Bass, keyboards and drums are all played really well though.

Somegeezer
08-27-13, 03:50 PM
<iframe style="border: 0; width: 100%; height: 120px;" src="http://bandcamp.com/EmbeddedPlayer/track=1341614946/size=medium/bgcol=ffffff/linkcol=0687f5/transparent=true/" seamless><a href="http://plagueshipofficial.bandcamp.com/track/the-falling-fa-ade">The Falling Fašade by Plagueship</a></iframe>

With the Plagueship project, we got about releasing our first song. Everything recorded in my home studio setup. Feeling productive. :D