View Full Version : i can't do my laundry!!!

f_wcomboadhd
02-09-05, 10:36 PM
i'm really trying but its barely going to happen
taking a trip - leaving town this saturday morning, so i have tonight, (already burned away at this point) tommorow after work, and friday night to :
do my laundry
organize my clothing afterwards..
pack my clothes to leave
pick up the medium level messes in my house
so i don't return to a messy house and have to feel overwhelmed
hoping this post will let me get started..
my laptop battery is about to expire..so
no more super procrastinator girl tricks like the computer....
(super procrastinator girl slinks out of the room, cape dragging and soggy from being dragged in a puddle...)

Nucking_Futs
02-09-05, 11:06 PM
At times like this I grab myself a really great book, headphones and head to the laundrymat. Get it all done at once, folded at once, just have to take it home and pack and put the rest away. Beats standing impatiently over a washer and drier for hours and only cost me a few bucks in quarters.

Ian
02-10-05, 02:17 AM
A practical and wise woman Futs.. eheh I've held those rolls of coins myself in days past.. heh

Scattered
02-10-05, 02:32 AM
Yep Futz, That's a good idea. I've done it myself when hopelessly behind.

P_Stampy
02-10-05, 02:53 AM
u guys dont own washing machines?

Deeperblue
02-10-05, 11:03 AM
the best advice that i have heard all day, Cherity. Where were you last night with that one. Im going away this weekend too.

I have learned how to handle my laundry through the past couple-a years. For me it is the meds. Could not do laundry before...ever. Could not sort--took forever because I micro-managed and obsessed. There will be no co-mingling white and black. Then I would have to put it in the machine and that was fine but next getting it out and into the dryer and then folded. and put away... HELLO and goodbye.

and now, my dear f_wcomoadhd, you have to get it all into the suitcase? I sympathize. For the longest time--in the past, when going away-- I would take the stuff and put it all directly into a paper bag. My poor husband would always comment about that and I would always gaze up at him with a wink and say "but sweet man, we are only going to the beach" he was so good natured now that i remember it all. :) and look, now he has left me with such a long laundry list--not to mention a very high pile. boooohooooo.

For me I do not not know what is worse: taking a trip, packing in a suitcase, doing the wash or putting on clean cloths. I'll settle for a long-long book. any good titles. hee hee haaaaaa

comboadhd---can you let us know how it all worked out for you. Just to let you know that I can soooo relate to the inner tension and turmoil. and btw, do you have a nick name or something that I can call you since I am not good at the long ones (bad at remembering and omg, spelling!!! :confused: something short and sweet and memorable, if that is ok?)

and somtime I might even tell you all bout the time that i washed several loads with bleach instead of detergent. that was an experience that I do not care to repeat.

oh yeah, futs, if you are lucky, you can even get the nice lady at the laundry matt to do the wash for you (for a price of course---but we are worth it...arent we!)

Deeperblue
02-10-05, 12:18 PM
oh and you look really good in your avatar but I was wondering if you were a bit light on clean laundry that day because you look somewhat underdressed. Just goofing ya. ;)

f_wcomboadhd
02-10-05, 02:58 PM
HA HA HA DEEPERBLUE!
that was hilarious, i was wearing a tank top and jeans and my husband wanted to take a pic of me...he's such a sweety..
you can call me mary if you would like, thats my name (its my first and very unused name - i usually don't like putting my name on the web hence my almost cryptic handle)

f_wcomboadhd
02-10-05, 03:01 PM
to be continued:
i am at work so my saga of 'must do chores' (<imagine captain kirk saying that like he's struggling against a gravity field, thats the level of my exasperation)
will be continued when i get home tonight....

Deeperblue
02-10-05, 04:06 PM
luck to ya...how bout I just call you M for short. this way you can maintain your confidentiality and I can keep my sanity. enjoy the weekend if you can. ;) are you going away alone or with the family? Hope that you can take some time for yourself. I bet you are busy with a little one and a job.

f_wcomboadhd
02-10-05, 04:23 PM
i am pretty darn busy deeperblue,
i'm going to go to mexico for a beachy week with my husband..it will be nice and romantic. i'm looking forward to spending all our time together alone. its funny how you can be married and have a family with your spouse and feel like 'you miss them' ..as if they've been gone for awhile..i just tend to miss all the time and attention we spent on each other before our son...
you have a good weekend!
do you have kids?

ms_sunshine
02-10-05, 04:25 PM
I have timers set to tell me when each load is done, in lieu of money or childcare (i have four kids...a laundrymat would be a bigger nightmare than the laundry itself). I also bought machines with very loud, very annoying buzzers that will not shut off until I physically turn them off. In between loads, I write lists per person of which items need to go with me on the trip. When that item comes out of the dryer, it goes immediately into a travel bag, and is simulataneously checked off the list. I give myself frequent breaks, and I try to prioritize what part of the "medium" level mess I can't wait to do when I get back. Some things, like taking out the garbage, really cannot be postponed. Try listening to very upbeat music while getting this done, too. Might help keep your adrenaline going. Pre-determine how many tasks you have to do before earning a break or a treat for yourself, and when you get them, enjoy! Have a great trip...and remember, no matter how much you clean up before you go, sooner than later, you're going to have to clean it all again...so try not to get too upset about this stuff. :) Aim for realistic and sanitary. Save the heavy duty spring cleaning for after you are back, and plan goals on a calendar. Give yourself plenty of time to accomplish things, so you set yourself up for success.

Deeperblue
02-10-05, 04:29 PM
all grown up. 27 & 30 year old daughters who are the light of my life. they are on their own in their own careers and doing their own laundry. :)

free2bme
02-10-05, 04:32 PM
DB
you forgot to mention your 34 year old surrogate!!!!:D ;)

enid
02-10-05, 04:33 PM
I have terrible trouble with housework - especially when it involves sorting. Some days I can washup, vacuum - fine. But everyday routine escapes me as soon as I have something else to do.

I'm puzzled because being able to do lots of things at once is supposed to be an ADD trait - but I get super-involved in a hobby or study, even when I can't concentrate and go really slow (and am getting nothing done). And disorder and dirty dishes are suddenly everywhere.

When I have to sort through stuff, like when clearing up accumulated piles of junk, it's the worst. Often I get so depressed I can't do it, and just stuff it all back in a pile under my bed. I guess it's all about concentration - and the meds do help with sorting, although I have to organise a time when I can concentrate on just that.

Deeperblue
02-10-05, 04:33 PM
remember, no matter how much you clean up before you go, sooner than later, you're going to have to clean it all again...so try not to get too upset about this stuff. :) Aim for realistic and sanitary. Save the heavy duty spring cleaning

wonderful advice. a great goal to aim for especially when trying to do a million other more essential tasks for getting ready!

Nucking_Futs
02-10-05, 05:04 PM
u guys dont own washing machines?

Yes, I own a washing machine and a drier but at times like now I don't have energy left for doing my families laundry let alone my own. I'm working full time, doing my best to keep the baby out of the hospital and trying to help my son bring his math grade up to par. With the sick baby I've been getting an average of 2 hours of sleep a night with cat naps in between sadly the last one was interupted with a loud thump as the baby hit the floor. Luckily, they make one year old's sturdy, he wasn't hurt and didn't cry but I did get a nasty look and a "hey!!" :o Am I going to the laundrymat tonight? YOU BETCHA!! :D

Nucking_Futs
02-10-05, 05:06 PM
i am pretty darn busy deeperblue,
i'm going to go to mexico for a beachy week with my husband..it will be nice and romantic. i'm looking forward to spending all our time together alone. its funny how you can be married and have a family with your spouse and feel like 'you miss them' ..as if they've been gone for awhile..i just tend to miss all the time and attention we spent on each other before our son...
you have a good weekend!
do you have kids?

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who misses their spouse. He can be in the same room as I am but somehow with three kids it feels as tho miles separate us. :(

Deeperblue
02-10-05, 05:20 PM
DB
you forgot to mention your 34 year old surrogate!!!!:D ;)

yes sorry I forgot about the older one (blame it on ADD)
yes that one I got for FREE while strolling through the cabbage patch. She came out already fully packaged with her own talent and gifts. Plus she is very selfsufficient...she does laundry too...but will she support her new mother :rolleyes:

one of the perks of the journey.

free2bme
02-10-05, 05:49 PM
yes sorry I forgot about the older one (blame it on ADD)
yes that one I got for FREE while strolling through the cabbage patch. She came out already fully packaged with her own talent and gifts. Plus she is very selfsufficient...she does laundry too...but will she support her new mother :rolleyes:

one of the perks of the journey.Well gee, seeing as how she's already supporting a small army...what's one more added to the mix?! And guess what?? I haven't read this thread but if it's really about laundry....I have good news for you. Mine is always done. I cannot stand clutter and hate walking into a laundry room with clothing piled up to the ceiliing. I generally do it around 1 am. But that part will cost you for sure!!!

Deeperblue
02-10-05, 05:52 PM
Now excuse me! remember honor thy new mother...

free2bme
02-10-05, 05:56 PM
oh, but i am!!!!....AFTERALL, it was she who reminded me that nothing in life is FREE!!!!!! :p

Deeperblue
02-10-05, 05:58 PM
you little brat.... :mad: gonna get ya.