View Full Version : After 15 years, Adderall 40MG/day just isn't enough ...

KarmicDebt
05-27-13, 11:10 PM
Hi All,

Im 37 years old, 260 pounds and working in a technical job that demands focus.

I am at a point where if I take a holiday from Adderall for a few days, 40MG is plenty, but within 1-2 weeks, it's not quite enough. My psychiatrist at Virginia Mason is very conservative, and will not increase my dosage. My 12 year old son is taking 30MG per day!

I realize the dosage does not correlate 1:1 with weight like some other drugs, but with a previous doctor I was prescribed 60MG per day and that worked much better.

Can anyone recommend a doctor in the Seattle, Tacoma or Puyallup area that is not quite as conservative with Adderall dosages?

Any pointers would be much appreciated ...

KarmicDebt
05-29-13, 11:27 AM
Posting this late at night was probably a bad idea.

Again, any help would be appreciated.

--Buddy

sarahsweets
05-30-13, 05:08 AM
Has your doctor given you a solid legitimate reason for not going beyond 40mg if you had previously had success with 60mg? The recommended maximum for adhd is 40mg and 60mg for narcolepsy but the key word is "recommended". The recommended dose isnt about safety its about what has been tested to be the most effective for treatment but we all know we are not the same and individual results my vary. I take 60mg and have for 2 years. 40 just wasnt working.

dvdnvwls
05-30-13, 05:13 AM
Age and weight are not just less important, they are right off the table apparently. But that doesn't matter - what matters is (a) what works for you and (b) your doctor's reasoning for not doing that. If the reasoning is "You've been addicted to things before and we're not going there this time", or some such legitimate problem, then he may be right. If the doctor's reasoning is "The book says 40", then I think there should be some room to bend.

KarmicDebt
06-03-13, 11:33 AM
The "solid reason" is simply, 40MG is the max. When I ask about increasing it, I am told how it was pulled off the market in Canada, blah blah blah ...

Meagan
06-04-13, 11:48 PM
Your doctor doesn't seem to be keeping up with the science.

mrc711
08-31-13, 03:53 PM
If you contact Dr. Donaldson in Zillah, WA over the phone he may be able to refer you to someone. He's been my prescriber for a long time, but is going out of practice soon. He's a great Doctor, he listens to what works for me as a patient and has adjusted my doses accordingly.

"Alright, Mr. Williams. 20MG XR isn't working for you. Do you want to opt for a higher dosage of the XR medication, or try two IR tablets in a higher amount?"

mollymae76
07-10-14, 02:02 PM
I'm so curious as to if you ever found a new doctor and how it all worked out. I'm in Tacoma, WA.