View Full Version : New study on ADHD and sunlight/sleep

Meagan
06-03-13, 02:33 PM
Not sure where to put this, but wanted to share it before I get distracted:

http://m.psychologytoday.com/blog/evolutionary-psychiatry/201304/sunlight-and-adhd

Lots of good info here. Good incentive to take a morning walk.

Hope everyone is well today.

CthulhuMinion
06-03-13, 04:57 PM
The domestication of humans will be our downfall.

The article makes total sense. Our bodies aren't designed to sit in an office or school all day just like they aren't designed to digest pesticides and GMO products.

fracturedstory
06-04-13, 03:05 AM
Careful. People at Psychology Today are often saying that these things are the sole cause of ADHD. I've been in many an argument with them to just get them to take in all considerations.
Now I would say that personally ADHD is neurological, has existed for centuries but the type of society we live in just makes the symptoms more impairing.
The psychologists think that ADHD can be avoided.

Even when I have a good nights sleep I still have ADHD. I know because that's when my meds actually work, so in order for them to work I would still have to be experiencing the symptoms.

I do believe that there is a very mild environmentally caused ADHD but this has to do with the way society has changed lately. Just read The Shallows, you'll understand what I mean, or not.

If I actually got up before 11am and took a walk, decreased blue light in the evening and went to bed at a routine sane hour I don't think I would lose my diagnosis which is kind of what I'm getting from this article.

But like I said these people are my enemy.

stef
06-04-13, 04:10 AM
I skimmed the article last night
I know the amount of light effects me, personally, immensely;
the way that light affects sleep patterns, which affect ADD, this is interesting ;

however I'm wary of the tone of the article;
also if people are being diagnosed more in one state (in the US) than another that could easily be due to variations in state health care policies.

CthulhuMinion
06-04-13, 08:47 AM
I didn't read the article as stating that sunlight will take away your ADHD. What I got out of it is that a natural circadian rhythm will help lessen the symptoms, but that would make even people without ADHD feel better.

The article dismisses the possibility of this being a cure when it acknowledges ADD as genetic. Unless I read it wrong. I took a break from my Adderall today so my reading comprehension is a little sub par.

eats_mice
06-04-13, 10:01 AM
I was feeling restless last night at 11:30, so I took a walk in the cool night air. Still took me forever to get to sleep.

steve286
06-04-13, 04:49 PM
My doc did take some blood and find out that I have very low Vitamin D and I am on night shift so that might explain some things.

Meagan
06-04-13, 05:35 PM
Careful. People at Psychology Today are often saying that these things are the sole cause of ADHD. I've been in many an argument with them to just get them to take in all considerations.
Now I would say that personally ADHD is neurological, has existed for centuries but the type of society we live in just makes the symptoms more impairing.
The psychologists think that ADHD can be avoided.

Even when I have a good nights sleep I still have ADHD. I know because that's when my meds actually work, so in order for them to work I would still have to be experiencing the symptoms.

I do believe that there is a very mild environmentally caused ADHD but this has to do with the way society has changed lately. Just read The Shallows, you'll understand what I mean, or not.

If I actually got up before 11am and took a walk, decreased blue light in the evening and went to bed at a routine sane hour I don't think I would lose my diagnosis which is kind of what I'm getting from this article.

But like I said these people are my enemy.

Interesting. My reading comprehension seems to be worse on Adderall. :-/

I didn't get a sense that they were implying ADHD would be cured by morning sun and getting a better night's sleep. Being an insomniac, I kind of skimmed it and then latched on to the hope of better sleep. Not that I was able to get myself out for a walk in the sun.

I did find it amusing that the Sunshine State (FL) is not one of the states with low incidents of ADHD.

There is no doubt in my mind that ADHD is genetic in my case. My parents were great, but textbook ADHD.

RobotInDisguise
06-04-13, 09:13 PM
What I got out of this is I always had trouble not staying up til four, especially on a computer, because of the light that the computer screen emits. Wow, a logical reason. Yay. While this is due to neurological makeup, I don't think taking more jogs outside during daylight hours would hurt. Heck, I try to get as much sun as I can just cuz it feels so good. Doesn't cure ADHD but its still comfy.

fracturedstory
06-04-13, 10:53 PM
To be fair my opinion is already decided from past articles I've read there such as 'The French Don't Have ADHD' so I read the article carefully. This one wasn't too bad but the tone was still there, that by just adjusting a diet and sleep schedule and throw some exercise in there that ADHD can be easier to manage or you could lose a diagnosis completely. The article was putting more emphasis on the percentages of diagnosis's rather even looking into what ADHD really is. They don't care. They see it as a behaviour problem caused by poor nutrition, too much entertainment and not enough wholesome living.

I went to bed at 9:30/10pm last night, took hours to fall asleep. Forced myself up at 8:30am and though I don't feel as exhausted as yesterday I still feel tired and it's pretty hard to stay focused and organised. I came here for the sole purpose to 'kick my brain into gear.'

In my personal opinion with a few lifestyle adjustments that are very difficult to implement your ADHD will no longer make your life a mess but you'll only be slightly above it, and that looming fear of being sucked under will always be with you. Better grab those pills, follow that to-do list and don't for one second take a 5 minute break on Facebook.

Also, if you can't watch TV at night, be on your computer or tablet or phone - then just what the bloody hell are we supposed to do?

meadd823
06-04-13, 11:43 PM
I live in Texas work out side where there is MORE than enough sun light - I call BS!

While I agree that use of computers and watching TV can certainly screw up our sleep cycles if these things caused ADHD there wouldn't be any non-ADDers left in the "western hemisphere"

The wording is such as to infer there in more knowledge than what is actually presented which is lack of sleep can make ADHD symptoms worse and watching to much TV or being on the computer late night can screw with sleep cycles The two may or may not be related in the same way that an increase in pirate activity causes a rise in the blue whale population

Correlation does not automatically mean causation.

Southern states which have the most sun shine also have notoriously crappy health care access so the decrease in ADHD diagnosis is more likely linked to lack of access to the resources necessary for the economically disadvantaged to get any thing resembling decent mental health care much less have provisions like qualified health care professionals who know the difference between ADHD and a whole in the ground!

Meagan
06-04-13, 11:46 PM
Don't hold back, meadd! Tell me how you really feel! Lol

meadd823
06-05-13, 12:18 AM
Sorry I do tend toward the candid side of communication styles. If I try to be any thing but direct I am frustratingly confusing.

Meagan
06-05-13, 01:38 AM
No worries! I have no emotional attachment to the article. Now if we were talking about motorcycles, I might get heated. ;)

fracturedstory
06-05-13, 02:29 AM
I love Meadd.

sarahsweets
06-05-13, 05:14 AM
I am a fan of vitamin d (via sunlight) for my mood but I would never suggest that this could somehow be related to adhd treatment and this article kind of sounds shady

awialways8
06-05-13, 06:48 AM
I thought that everyone was supposed to slather on layers on sunscreen and that sunlight was evil?