View Full Version : What has helped me to cope, might help you too!

marissaxx93
06-04-13, 12:40 PM
My name is Marissa and I live in Iowa right on the Mississippi river in a medium-sized industrial town I am 20 years old and I have ADD which also causes me to have depression and social anxiety. It wasn't up until two months ago that I found I have ADD, NOT Bi-polar disorder or the long list of other things doctors have told me I have. And all it took was going to a different doctor, well, actually in case I went to see an APRN. I liked the idea that they got to get the patient more then what they were treating. She sat me down and asked me questions that I had never been asked by a professional in a medical setting before. Instead of the regular hoopla such as "How does that make you feel on a scale of 1-10?". and "How would you describe your sleeping patterns?" She asked personal questions like, "How would your friends describe you, if they were here right now?" "What motivates you?" "How often do you share an intimate moment with a partner?" "What do you find yourself spending most of your money on?" She even asked me to bring in my mother to have a one-on-one interview with her, as well as asked me to bring in my transcripts as far back as I could locate. I feel she really got to the root of the problem instead of throwing me on some medication she got paid to prescribe, that more then likely wasn't going to work.

In the end, after about 3 office visits, she decided to put me on Adderall 15 mg XR, and one month later increased the dose to 30 mg, so I wouldn't shock my system all at once. She also suggested taking some sort of of Omega-3 supplement. My choice was a flax seed oil, because you don't get the after taste like you would with fish or krill oil. When I asked why she suggested the O-3 she gladly informed me that studies have shown O-3s have significantly reduced the risk of heart disease (many medications, like Adderall, increase your risk). O-3s also have been shown to increase dopamine levels naturally, which will relive you of some of your symptoms such as depression and low motivation. It is believed that people with ADD/ADHD do not produce the sufficient amount for healthy brain activity, thus your symptoms.

Another thing that she highly recommended was meditation. Many people that have ADD/ADHD find this very hard to do, so she gave me an amazing tool to help me get started. She told me about Binaural beats, if this is the first that you are hearing of BB's, I strongly urge you to do some research of your own on them. They are so cool and work for almost everyone, not just people with ADD/ADHD! Basically, what they are is two ever so slightly different frequencies being played in each ear (must be played over headphones/earbuds). The two frequencies mold together to become a sort of melody for your brain. There are many, many different "beats" to fit almost any situation, from sleeping, studying, even a painkiller! The idea behind this is your brain will try to sync up its own brain waves to the frequencies it is hearing by activating different parts of your brain and neurotransmitters. For instance, Gamma waves (>40 Hz) are associated with higher mental activity and greater problem solving. This is good for when you need to get on task. On the opposite end of the scale, you have Delta waves (<4 Hz) which is used for deep, solid, dreamless sleep, or total loss of body awareness (depending on state of consciousness) tends to make you feel like you are floating. Many people have who have worked with these beats for a while say they have had out-of-body experiences, being able to look and touch themselves as if their spirit as left the body and felt a calm like never before. In my experience, everyone reacts to Binuaral Beats differently, because each one of our brains is different, with different chemical make ups. It is what makes us different, it is what makes us human!

I have never seen anyone have a negative experience to them, but I have seen it straight up not work. I feel as if you must go into your meditation or routine with an open, clear mind. Don't listen to them while you are trying to drive or operate any machinery. But while you are in your "happy" place. Whether it be your favorite chair, in bed, or that quiet little spot in the back of the park.

Here is how I do it: I wake up early, feed my animals, feed myself, take my medications and supplements, and then meditate. I The less things your brains has to worry about fulfilling, the easier it will be to concentrate!I find it helps me to be reclined, (right in the middle of sitting and laying down) with my feet firmly on the ground. This prevents me from getting too comfortable and accidentally falling asleep. I blindfold myself so I can't see any light which I find to be very distracting. I also close myself off in a room, with the door closed along with windows. My pets would often rub up against my legs or jump in my lap ruining my concentration and I would have to start all over again. I also put out a do not disturb sign on my door, so people living with me wouldn't distract me either. The waves I listen to the most often would be the Alpha wave (8-12 Hz). Which is associated with the deep, mind-numbing relaxation you feel right before you enter your dream-state. Doing this while aware of your surroundings, causes amazing thoughts and sensations and allows you to play out different situations. I like to call it aware-dreaming, because everything plays out like a movie, and you are the director. Doing it in the morning helps me clear my mind and get me ready for the day. I do it for 15-45 minutes, depending on how much time I have. On mornings when I don't have time for it at all, I will feel off, which lets me know that it must be doing something for me.

I hope that I can help open people's eyes to the alternative that are out there, instead of just medication after medication! Please, your thoughts and comments are welcomed and feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions! I am here to help!

Tmoney
06-04-13, 01:49 PM
Well I'm sure there is some great information in this post but it is entirely too long for me to focus on. I see your new so welcome and I hope this forum is as helpful to you as it has been for me. I did catch the part about avoiding using Meds as a cure for all instead of alternative options. Speaking of myself only, no alternative method has been successful. Because I'm considered severe AD(H)D I really don't stand a chance without meds. I still have to put in the work and effort, but they help tremendously.

midnightstar
06-04-13, 01:58 PM
There's some interesting stuff in that post, I find the waves thing a bit confusing though

Meagan
06-04-13, 02:30 PM
You aren't clear about whether you are taking the Adderall or not. I think not but could you confirm that? Please post a follow-up every few months. I would like to see how your treatment progresses.

neewsmonth
06-04-13, 06:11 PM
Thx for the inspiration :)

I am not sure if I can stay for even 15 minutes listening to 2 sine waves though :D

Can you manage it when unmedicated ?

Also, have you felt any benefits that cannot be attributed to the medication itself ?

Lunacie
06-04-13, 06:16 PM
There are several members here who agree that Omega 3 is helpful,
same with meditation. However, all the research I've read indicates
that we can't process Omega 3 from flax seed as well as from fish or
krill oil.

Not everyone has trouble with fishy after taste or burps with fish oil.
I figure it's worth trying that first to find out if you do or not.

PS, I find even long posts easier to read when paragraphs are smaller.
Many with ADHD can't read large blocks of text, so you may not get
many responses.

traze23
06-04-13, 09:56 PM
Welcome and great post, but...

.....I was wondering, where did you hear that taking Adderall increases your risk of heart disease?

Fraser_0762
06-04-13, 10:02 PM
Welcome and great post, but...

.....I was wondering, where did you hear that taking Adderall increases your risk of heart disease?

Anything that raises blood pressure can lead to a greater risk of heart disease.

Heart disease from taking a therapeutic dose of Adderall is rare, but I wouldn't say it was unheard of.

marissaxx93
06-05-13, 12:19 PM
Thanks for all the responses guys, and I'll remember to keep it to the point.

@Megan - Yes, I first started on 15 mg then increased to 30 mg

@midnightstar - Check them out for yourself. I am no neurologist, I just explained them to the best of my ability. :)

@newssmonth - I feel you there! There are a lot of beats out there that have what they call a 'pink noise' along with them. sounds of rivers or birds, it helps cover up the sine waves. Listening to them very, very quietly helps too. Your brain will be effected the same way no matter the volume.

It is still hard for me to focus before I take my Adderall. I feel it is most effective with a combination of the medication.

@Luncia - That is an interesting statement. Thank you for mentioning that. I will definitely have to delve into some more research!

@traze23 - Like Fraser stated, ANY sort of stimulate (caffeine, nicotine, amphetamines, etc.) can increase your risk of heart disease. My doctor was also very concerned because I often have an added beat to my heart rhythm. Doctors aren't sure, but it may to linked to my overactive thyroid.

Lunacie
06-05-13, 05:11 PM
I hope the heart beat is nothing to worry about. Most palpitations are
caused by stress or anxiety, or by stimulants like caffeine, and are not
harmful, but it's good to make sure.