View Full Version : Fear of Eternity

eats_mice
06-04-13, 03:33 PM
Now I know I'll get mixed views on this so just let me explain that I am a Christian, and I believe that I will be in Heaven forever when I die.

That being said, there are a few fears that I have, but none of them scare me more than the idea of eternity. Just the thought of existing forever, without ending is terrifying. I know I shouldn't be afraid of living forever, after all Heaven is gonna be really cool, but I have been so scared by this idea that I have wished I didn't exist.

I don't know if anyone else have ever thought of this before. I first thought it when I was about 11. I don't think I've met anyone else with whom I can identify about this...

midnightstar
06-04-13, 04:39 PM
I can identify, I don't like the idea of existing forever yet I also don't like the idea of not existing any more at some point. The idea of getting eaten by a black hole while knowing about it is seriously scary.

Fuzzy12
06-05-13, 06:43 AM
I'm an atheist and I'm scared both of the concept of eternity and of the thought that I will just stop existing. But then if there is anything like heaven I'm pretty sure that I won't get into it.

What exactly do you fear about eternity? Is it the thought of existing the way you are currently (which might not always be happy, easy or pleasant)? Is it a fear of boredom?

I sometimes wonder what it might be like to live forever, for example as a vampire and that is scary. I think, I'd go crazy living with the uncertainty of what happens after life, what I'm missing out on by being doomed to be alive forever, and the boredom that I can imagine might set in with the thought of having to live forever (apart from never seeing the sun again and having to kill people for my survival).

I think, eternity in most religions is different though. LIke, I said, I'm not religious but I think that most religions see eternity as a place that's very different to life. Heaven is supposed to be a place of joy, where everything is good. And good I guess, includes good emotions and everything else.

sarek
06-05-13, 08:00 AM
I think what you are afraid of is eternity in the form of a neverending continuation of what you are experiencing now, in this life. If it were that like that, it would indeed be lethally boring.

But the true nature of eternity is not that way. To experience true eternity is to become eternity, and eternity does not experience itself. Eternity just is. Once you evolve to that point, there will be no more fear or anxiety, only existence.

Fraser_0762
06-05-13, 08:09 AM
The only thing that worries me is getting sucked up into either Greek or Hindu heaven.

I'd keep forgetting the names of all the gods!

Canadian Mess
06-05-13, 08:41 AM
I'm a Christian myself, but for me, I don't fear eternity because it says in the bible that God will wipe away all tears, there will be no more crying or death or pain anymore because all past things will go away. It seems like a pretty happy place and if God is going to take away all suffering and all past things, then I can't see him keeping the idea of boredom.

So if it's going to be an eternity, then it's going to be a fun eternity and it seems like there's a lot of cool stuff to explore and do there- a mansion with many rooms (what are in those rooms?) , streets of gold (think about the shininess), a river of life (what does that mean?), etc. There is a stable in heaven since it talks about the horses.

It seems that all the things we know now will not be so in eternity. The way I see it, time won't exist so we won't notice. The reality we know now, will be a mere memory or perhaps be wiped from our minds or something. I often think about that alot- what would our world be without time- without a need for the moon, the stars and sun. If we exist without time, then there is a never ending continum where no one ages and we wouldn't be aware. I wouldn't be late for anything there!!!

Rather I fear just how much I am messing up while I'm living now on this earth, I feel bad about that.

Fuzzy12
06-05-13, 08:44 AM
The only thing that worries me is getting sucked up into either Greek or Hindu heaven.

I'd keep forgetting the names of all the gods!

Off-tangent ->

There isn't really a Hindu heaven. Hindus believe that everyone is reincarnated till they achieve moksha, a state of perfection, awareness or enlightenment, at which point they merge with the universal consciousness. A bit like Sarek's definition of eternity. :-)

Fraser_0762
06-05-13, 08:46 AM
Off-tangent ->

There isn't really a Hindu heaven. Hindus believe that everyone is reincarnated till they achieve moksha, a state of perfection, awareness or enlightenment, at which point they merge with the universal consciousness. A bit like Sarek's definition of eternity. :-)

It's a good thing i'm not Hindu then.

I'd come back a Frog, or whatever creature is furthest away from Moksha. :lol:

dvdnvwls
06-05-13, 01:46 PM
You are already inside eternity. What you are afraid of happening to you has already happened.

Now what? :)

erratic
06-05-13, 08:52 PM
I would be scared too if I was Christian. The idea of maintaining a continuous identity/consciousness/soul/self is scary. I am unafraid of eternity because I experience it now and forever- when I say I, I don't mean the same I as Christians believe it. Everything is eternal and yet nothing is eternal. Everything is something and yet nothing because of constant change. This eternity is quite different though than that of heaven where you stay the same soul forever- scary indeed.

CthulhuMinion
06-09-13, 04:35 AM
Eternity feels like how you felt before you existed and it will feel the same way when we depart.

That's how I cope with infinity.

I'd be pretty horrified if I believed in any religion, but particularly the Old Testament God.

If you believe in Heaven or Paradise, you can't look at it from anywhere but a metaphysical point of view. If it were real, the same laws wouldn't apply. Time is human created. Even gravity can alter the perception of time.

There wouldn't be a start or a destination. You would just be...

There's really no sense in getting worked up about it because it will never be explained. We are finite beings, we can't time travel and we will die so there is no way we can experiment with infinity. The idea is so far out of our comprehension. Infinity goes against all Earthly laws.

someothertime
06-09-13, 05:56 AM
Personally this thought has not crossed my mind...........

Mortality is something I find difficult to grasp.

Often I have had thoughts though that we are 100 times smaller than Quarks, existing in a petrie dish of some being that also exists in a petrie dish.

Do I believe in a higher purpose/being.........yes

erratic
06-09-13, 06:03 AM
I see it as being the same now as before I existed. I was just something else then. When I say I was something else, I can't really say "I" can I. But then was it "I" ten minutes ago when I was 10 minutes younger? No but yes. "I" was many changes that took place over the course of ten minutes, but "I" am not the same "I" ten minutes later.

When you say eternity is what it was like before you came into existence, I take it you refer to an absence of being/consciousness which is nothing. This nothing doesn't seem like eternity when you actually come into existence, because absence no longer exists. I assume you see it this way because when you die you see it as a termination of consciousness and nothing but blankness forever.

To me your coming into existence is part of a continuation of events that travels in an infinite direction, infinite fold. When you die do you really reach eternity/blankness? I don't think so you just take another form- your body decays, energy is transferred and continues to infinity. Everything seems to be a continuation. We live in eternity.

I am not the same person ten mins ago, I wasn't a person at all 100 years ago, but 100 years ago events were unfolding that contributed to "I". These 100 year old events are therefore as much apart of me as were the events 10 mins ago- without them I wouldn't be "I". The truth is we are really already eternal- we are something in each moment but never the same thing.

I wouldn't say infinite goes against Earthly laws, I would say Earthly laws operate within infinite. Think of the color spectrum, it's infinite. Think of numbers, infinite. Think of direction, Lengths, etc. Everything is infinite.

erratic
06-09-13, 06:14 AM
Personally this thought has not crossed my mind...........

Mortality is something I find difficult to grasp.

Often I have had thoughts though that we are 100 times smaller than Quarks, existing in a petrie dish of some being that also exists in a petrie dish.

Do I believe in a higher purpose/being.........yes

Yes I have a similar thoughts. As things are infinite in all directions this means vertically as well. My idea behind this is fractals.