View Full Version : Emotional lability

Fuzzy12
06-05-13, 08:52 AM
My mood swings daily. Today morning, I was feeling on top of the world and now I've got that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach again. For trivial reasons but often I crash for no reason at all. I'm oversensitive and over-emotional. I react to everything (emotionally) way too much. The slightest disappointment can send me into deep depression but then I also feel disproportionately thrilled about little things.

Sometimes, I wish my BP II was more classic and I'd have clear and lasting moods (at least hypomania) rather than this constant up and down every day. It's exhausting.

I try to fight against the depression, for example by exercising (doesn't help much), playing the piano (helps hugely, but I don't always have access to a piano) or more unhealthy coping mechanisms, like binge eating and purging (works very well but only if I really purge after binge eating), drinking or smoking.

Anything else I could do?

I also seem to be extremely bad at handling these sudden mood swings. I don't know why they affect me so much. It feels as if my light switch has suddenly been turned off and I'm never sure when and if it will get turned on again. You'd think, I would have gotten used to it by now but I actually seem to be getting worse at coping with the mood swings. :-(

Blanched Dubois
06-05-13, 09:24 AM
Do you notice that when you go out and - i don't know - volunteer somewhere - like I'm doing a stint at the local suicide hotline - i forget about 'myself' for a time and 'help' others by listening, validating, offering ideas - hope - care....getting out of your head can help?

Are you home disabled? I'm getting to know folks here - don't want to be invasive - but I deal with moods swings like this lately and it sounds like you're doing a great job as it is handling 'it all' - maybe just acknowledge that you're 'doing a good job'

i'm betting some folks here are thinking i'm a troll at this point but I'm a big believer in validating the experience and fighting to get out of the prison of the mind by some certain proven exercises ( like sound healing meditations, walking the dog, etc )

For instance i am doing a 90 day challenge to state some very specific intentions 3x a day to see what happens as a result of just doing it - as i navigate thru a pretty depressive situation..causing lots of feelings to be dredged up ....!

Are you married? Live alone? Hope you don't mind me asking...just wondering why you feel you seem to be 'getting worse' lately...do you have a good pdoc or therapist?

I need a good counselor and a new pdoc and so does my son - and all of that i find very unnerving as i know my current pdoc is a good one but he makes me pay and bill my insurance which is more work I don't need now - he also doesn't have counseling available which I do need - I'm investigating all sorts of methods to help with mood swings and depression...so ...let me know what you think?

i'm open for everyone's feedback - i don't feel i have 'answers' just ways that have worked ...everyone is so unique.

mr. karl
06-05-13, 03:40 PM
I have BP II and ADHD and struggle with the same thing. I'm coming off lithium right now, which is really rough. I was a 10 yesterday and a 1 the day before. I also deal with binging and purging. I get down on myself when my mood swings so easily. I take that as a sign of my inability to check my internal cognitive distortions. It's really frustrating. So, suffice it to say, I'm right there with you fuzzy. When I get discouraged about the possiblity of change in my life, I think about athletes or performers that overcome impossible odds after years of hard work to finally make it in their profession.

I 2nd blanch on doing things to get outside of your head like service, or just being with friends and really listening to what's going on with them (I know, this does require focus :) I also agree on meditation. I realized that in a lot of ways, I am a slave to my internal thoughts and emotions. I think I've mentioned this before, but "Full Catastrophe Living" is really a good book to check out. It talks about how we think about our feelings, which really impacts the way we feel. It's also based on meditation, which I also agree with blanched on. I've found it really helpful. Also, I plan to start working in a workbook on self-esteem to try to have a structural approach to these issues. Hang in there fuzz!

fracturedstory
06-06-13, 02:10 AM
I feel just like you fuzzy, even wanting something more classic. I was having such a good time with hypomania and then the less euphoric hypomania happened, and then came the depression. Now I'm cycling between dysphoric hypomania and depression. And a looming menstrual cycle. And eviction.

And it's just too much this time. I've given up. I can't find anything to take me away from it. I'm certainly not going to go out and help people who don't feel the same way as me. And I have severe anxiety for my own safety everytime I go out it is forever an impossible task to achieve.

Sorry. I should probably start my own thread.

Fuzzy12
06-06-13, 07:02 AM
I feel just like you fuzzy, even wanting something more classic. I was having such a good time with hypomania and then the less euphoric hypomania happened, and then came the depression. Now I'm cycling between dysphoric hypomania and depression. And a looming menstrual cycle. And eviction.

And it's just too much this time. I've given up. I can't find anything to take me away from it. I'm certainly not going to go out and help people who don't feel the same way as me. And I have severe anxiety for my own safety everytime I go out it is forever an impossible task to achieve.

Sorry. I should probably start my own thread.

((((((((((((FRACTURED))))))))))) :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

someothertime
06-06-13, 08:10 AM
:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

One for Fuzz and one for Fractured and one for me

**** this, have a poem................

Am I what I do, for all I do is feel
Bring that what is new, beyond the surreal
Brew me a storm to conform in a world
Nothing but norm, i'm just fetal and curled

Should I go up, if the result is to come down
At times i'm a monkey, at times i'm a clown
Just one day, one hour, one minute to be free
I am what I am, what I am is me.

keliza
06-06-13, 09:47 AM
Hugs to both of you, Fuzzy and Fractured. As someone who is much more classic in my presentation, I can't imagine how difficult it is to get someone to take you seriously when you talk about your disorder. I know that even I myself can be very skeptical or judgmental of people whose bipolar disorder isn't more classically presented. It's something I'm working on, understanding that just because someone's bipolar isn't like mine doesn't mean their suffering isn't as real or severe.

Your suffering is very real, it's just different. In some ways it might even be worse because doctors are less inclined to take you seriously when you don't fit into a neat diagnostic category. I get stigmatized by some doctors for having bipolar disorder, but at least there's nobody questioning whether or not I have it at all. I imagine that must be very difficult and frustrating, to have others essentially invalidate your experience.

Fuzzy, as far as your original question, how to help with the mood swings? I think you hit on something really important in there - your love of playing the piano. You don't just enjoy it, it does something for you. That thing you feel is called "flow." Have you ever seen the documentary "Happy"? It's on Netflix if you haven't. I know the word "documentary" makes most people fall asleep, but it's actually really, really good. It's about happiness and what makes people happy. They talk about the concept of flow, and how engaging in flow-inducing activities several times a week can make a person much happier overall, regardless of anything else going on in their lives.

If you can find access to a piano more often than you currently have, do it. Find other activities that put you in the zone (another name for flow) and throw yourself into them several times a week. My flow activities help me a lot, and it sounds like when you are able to engage in yours, they help you a lot too. They won't always help, but when they do, they're worth it.

I really encourage you not to engage in the unhealthy coping mechanisms, not just because they are unhealthy but also because they don't work, not long-term anyway. Alcohol is a depressant drug, it actually makes depression worse even though it makes it feel better for a short period of time. It also has a tendency to destabilize mood and makes you more likely to have faster, more frequent mood episodes. I don't have a problem with people drinking alcohol broadly, but I think for you, you may want to consider quitting it altogether. It's just not worth what it does to your mood, to have that quick, temporary lift.

Fuzzy12
06-06-13, 10:09 AM
I just can't deal with this anymore. Today morning and yesterday, I felt almost hypomanic and now I feel as if I've just been hit by a hammer and everthing has shattered into pieces.

Yes, the piano helps. I'm planning to buy one. It's on my to do list.

I need stimulation!! Right now!! I need something.

I'd love to do voluntary work. I've looked into it but it's not that easy to get into. I'd love to do something for RSPCA but all their voluntary work focusses on fund raising and that's the one thing I don't want to do.

Are you home disabled? I'm getting to know folks here - don't want to be invasive - but I deal with moods swings like this lately and it sounds like you're doing a great job as it is handling 'it all' - maybe just acknowledge that you're 'doing a good job'

No, I work though I don't get much done at work.

i'm betting some folks here are thinking i'm a troll at this point but I'm a big believer in validating the experience and fighting to get out of the prison of the mind by some certain proven exercises ( like sound healing meditations, walking the dog, etc )

You sound nothing like a Troll. On the contrary, you sound like a very supportive and helpful person.

Are you married? Live alone? Hope you don't mind me asking...just wondering why you feel you seem to be 'getting worse' lately...do you have a good pdoc or therapist?

I'm married. I've got a psychiatrist and a GP. My psychiatrist sucks. My GP is nice but she isn't the most informed. No therapist or counsellor. I've been rejected for psychotherapy (no spaces available).

My mood swings are getting worse and I'm getting worse at coping when my mood crashes. I'm not sure why. It's not like I've never been depressed before. In fact, compared to before I'm doing much, much better now. Even when I am depressed it's not as intense as it used to be and it doesn't last that long. I don't know how to explain it. I'm just so fed up of being down at all. I've had my fill of it. I don't want it anymore.

And I'm still wondering if maybe I do have a mild case of borderline personality disorder rather than BP II. Yes, it's frustrating when others invalidate your diagnosis and your problems but I do that to myself every day. I guess, it doesn't matter what exactly I am and the mood stabilisers are helping somewhat.

UUUUUUUUUghhhh. I just want to stop feeling this way.

fracturedstory
06-06-13, 10:08 PM
Playing the guitar really settles me down. When I play a musical instrument I get in a zone of relaxation for hours. I don't even know how to play too. I just make up a rhythm or try to replicate one from the song in my head.

That's why I think I was upset so much about the eviction situation. My sister said she'd sell our electric piano. OK, it's hers. But it's how I found out that I could actually play. I even offered to buy it for $2000. But it's ok; the guitar is still there.

The depression is getting worse for me too despite all the productive coping mechanisms like reading and playing music and watching a comedy. I even talk to people about it more. I'd never do it.

I'm not much as a ranter or arguer as I used to be. Even when I try to I just stop typing and hit the back button. I used to get into so many flame wars that way and I guess I can't deal with more people abusing me over it because they think I'm a troll or just always like that. Not long ago if I was cycling I'd stay off the net for ages and not even be around people but lately I've been slipping.

I've wondered about borderline too. One thing I don't fit is the abandonment issues. If anything, I abandon people. I feel really bad about my manias and what I said to them. Even after hypomania.

My pms is making the symptoms worse too. Every time I go through a cycle I think that this one was worse than the last one which I thought was worse than the last one. At the start of the year I actually had regular pms symptoms for the first time in years. It's been two months since I've had symptom relief and I never had extreme rapid cycling (within minutes) and hypomania can now last for a week and a half. Although now it's just depression into hypomania back into depression over hours or days.

I think I would be worse if I did have longer manias though. I had one that lasted 3 weeks but that was drug/alcohol triggered. That was an absolutely stupid and completely not like me decision to make. The worst one was just last week, I think over 12 hours, and I think it was even more extreme because I was around people and talk about embarrassing yourself in front of the person you have a crush on. I could barely cope with the depression afterwards.

My depression usually doesn't last longer than 3 days. It used to be longer, into the weeks, but I got so sick of feeling that way that I never wanted it to last longer than three days. Either it's the rapid cycling, the meds or just the coping mechanisms but it's even shorter now. When it's 3 days long I can barely function. I can't think my way out of it. I lose all interest. And then ambition kicks in. And then the cycle continues.

I guess we're going through the same thing Fuzzy.

For depression and irritable hypomania I watch TV shows and movies. Sometimes I feel like I can't think or write coherently and a good rant wakes my brain up, though it only feels good because it's basically the only thing I got done that day.

I should definitely do something creative more often, walk more and have more 'me' time.

sarahsweets
06-07-13, 04:30 AM
fuzzy I wish you could get some therapy and that it was so hard to arrange in the UK, I think it would really help.

daveddd
06-07-13, 06:19 AM
more troll talk

have you looked into mindfullness?

daveddd
06-07-13, 06:21 AM
im not the best example, because i haven't started yet

but a book recommended by a very intelligent doctor
http://books.google.com/books?id=Wpf8KF3td4kC&printsec=frontcover&dq=bob+stahl&hl=en&sa=X&ei=sVudUcjKEJPc8ASFxID4CA&ved=0CDYQ6AEwAA

also , if it helps, what you are describing is not that unique , there is a lot of us

we get all types of labels

a musician jamie jasta says it best for me

"trapped within your own apathy"

daveddd
06-07-13, 06:40 AM
if you do think you have a case of borderline

i suggest reading marsha linehan (creator of DBT)

she incorporates a neurological inborn problem with emotional regulation and executive function in her model
http://books.google.com/books?id=LoQhNOrUnkYC&pg=PA106&dq=core+pathology+of+borderline+personality+disord er+the+emotion+dysregulation+hypothesis&hl=en&sa=X&ei=NXujUZKDC7O80AHVgoHwBw&ved=0CDMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=core%20pathology%20of%20borderline%20personality %20disorder%20the%20emotion%20dysregulation%20hypo thesis&f=false

Fuzzy12
06-07-13, 08:47 AM
[QUOTE]Playing the guitar really settles me down. When I play a musical instrument I get in a zone of relaxation for hours. I don't even know how to play too. I just make up a rhythm or try to replicate one from the song in my head.

That's amazing. That means you really are talented. There's something about music that is so transcending, if that's the right word. This probably sounds incredibly silly, but when I play the piano, I can really lose myself not only in the music but also in the process of playing. It's as if my fingers, my brain, the keys and the music become one. It makes me euphoric and there's no better feeling. Sometimes it works as well when I'm listening to music I really, really like but while listening it can go either way depending on what I'm listening to. There are lots of songs that make me more depressed so I make sure that I don't listen to them unless I'm really depressed anyway.

That's why I think I was upset so much about the eviction situation. My sister said she'd sell our electric piano. OK, it's hers. But it's how I found out that I could actually play. I even offered to buy it for $2000. But it's ok; the guitar is still there.

That sucks!!! But $2000 is not a small amount. Can't you buy an e-piano? I think, you can even get a pretty decent one. I'm looking into buying an e-piano (well, I still have to start doing the research :rolleyes:). The only thing that worries me is if it will sound and feel the same as a real manual piano. I think, the ones in the higher price ranges come pretty close but I need to see if I can afford that. Anything more than 5000.. I might as well buy a manual one (though I'm wondering if an e-piano isn't more convenient because it's slightly more portable and you can do lots of other stuff, like record music, etc.)

The depression is getting worse for me too despite all the productive coping mechanisms like reading and playing music and watching a comedy. I even talk to people about it more. I'd never do it.

I'm not much as a ranter or arguer as I used to be. Even when I try to I just stop typing and hit the back button. I used to get into so many flame wars that way and I guess I can't deal with more people abusing me over it because they think I'm a troll or just always like that. Not long ago if I was cycling I'd stay off the net for ages and not even be around people but lately I've been slipping.

People can be a huge depressant. They can be stimulating too but when my mood swings are bad, I am even more sensitive and less tolerant to the way people treat me. When I'm super depressed or hypomanic, I don't care. Well, when I'm hypo I expect everyone to love me and get annoyed when they don't seem to ;) but when I'm really depressed, I don't care. It's just when I've got these really quick changing moods, ultradian cycling, that I'm so affected by everything and everyone.

I've wondered about borderline too. One thing I don't fit is the abandonment issues. If anything, I abandon people. I feel really bad about my manias and what I said to them. Even after hypomania.

I'm the same. I easily abandon people and I'm rarely attached to anyone. But when I really, really like someone, I can get very clingy and the slightest hint of real or imagined perception can make my moods crash (that's what is happening with my friend now).

My pms is making the symptoms worse too. Every time I go through a cycle I think that this one was worse than the last one which I thought was worse than the last one. At the start of the year I actually had regular pms symptoms for the first time in years. It's been two months since I've had symptom relief and I never had extreme rapid cycling (within minutes) and hypomania can now last for a week and a half. Although now it's just depression into hypomania back into depression over hours or days.

PMS sucks. The anti depressants hugely helped with that for me. They get me from suicidal ideation to suicidal. Well, not really, but just worse suicidal ideation, I guess. They come with this kind of weariness, like just get it done with...

I think I would be worse if I did have longer manias though. I had one that lasted 3 weeks but that was drug/alcohol triggered. That was an absolutely stupid and completely not like me decision to make. The worst one was just last week, I think over 12 hours, and I think it was even more extreme because I was around people and talk about embarrassing yourself in front of the person you have a crush on. I could barely cope with the depression afterwards.

I've never been manic. I can imagine that it must be disturbing. Hypomania is great. I can't see anything negative in it at all (except that I annoy people by talking too much maybe). But then these days, I'm getting more mixed episodes, which aren't pleasant at all. My hypomania never lasts long though and since I've started mood stabilisers it's disappeared. Before, I mostly felt euphoric for a couple of hours before crashing. I've had a few longer episodes though but very rarely. The longest that it has lasted was about 2 weeks and that was amazing. Good times!! (Though I know it isn't healthy).

My mom is more classic bipolar II. Her depression lasts for months (as does mine..before anti depressants it was years..) but her hypomania lasts for months too. Sometimes I'm a bit jealous. Stupid, huh?

I can't think my way out of it. I lose all interest. And then ambition kicks in. And then the cycle continues.

I can't think my way out of it. That's one of the things that drives me so crazy. When I was younger and just had very episodic depression, I could think my way out of it. Sometimes just picking up a book on philosophy and stimulating my brain would get me euphoric. It could be any philosophy book, it was just the process of thinking that helped me. Now that doesn't work anymore and that adds to the feelings of helplessness and being out of control.

I guess we're going through the same thing Fuzzy.

I'm sorry you are having a tough time but it is nice to know that I'm not alone. I really hope though that your problems get sorted soon. They don't sound like fun at all and to be honest, depression or not, I think they would worry most people.

For depression and irritable hypomania I watch TV shows and movies. Sometimes I feel like I can't think or write coherently and a good rant wakes my brain up, though it only feels good because it's basically the only thing I got done that day.

I should definitely do something creative more often, walk more and have more 'me' time.

Being creative definitely helps. Not just because it takes me mind off from how miserable I am but also because it makes me feel productive and there's no better anti depressant for me than feeling productive and useful. Unfortunately, when I'm depressed, I just can't do anything productive. it's a vicious cycle.

Huge hugs. Hope things get a bit easier soon.

Fuzzy12
06-07-13, 08:52 AM
more troll talk

have you looked into mindfullness?

Yes, though only superficially. I think, at the moment any type of therapy would benefit me (except for counselling, i.e. talk therapy, I've done that and it was absolutely useless. I'd get much more out of talking to you guys actually).

if you do think you have a case of borderline

i suggest reading marsha linehan (creator of DBT)

she incorporates a neurological inborn problem with emotional regulation and executive function in her model
http://books.google.com/books?id=LoQhNOrUnkYC&pg=PA106&dq=core+pathology+of+borderline+personality+disord er+the+emotion+dysregulation+hypothesis&hl=en&sa=X&ei=NXujUZKDC7O80AHVgoHwBw&ved=0CDMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=core%20pathology%20of%20borderline%20personality %20disorder%20the%20emotion%20dysregulation%20hypo thesis&f=false

I've read a little about DBT and like CBT, I think it would be useful. It doesn't look as if I'll get therapy prescribed any time soon, so it might be good to educate myself better and apply some (new) techniques.

Thanks guys. You are all so amazing. I don't know what I'd do without you. Right now, I'm doing good. I'm close to being hypomanic but I still crash every once in a while. I know, I shouldn't wish for or try to induce hypomania but I so, so miss it. Even just the hour long episodes of euphoria (though the crash that inevitably follows is horrible).

Anyway, right now, today, in this minute I'm doing good. :D

daveddd
06-07-13, 09:31 AM
Good to here

I don't do any therapy either

That's all stuff I just try myself

And simply educating myself helps a ton

fracturedstory
06-07-13, 09:58 AM
[quote=fracturedstory;1495156]
This probably sounds incredibly silly, but when I play the piano, I can really lose myself not only in the music but also in the process of playing. It's as if my fingers, my brain, the keys and the music become one. It makes me euphoric and there's no better feeling. Sometimes it works as well when I'm listening to music I really, really like but while listening it can go either way depending on what I'm listening to. There are lots of songs that make me more depressed so I make sure that I don't listen to them unless I'm really depressed anyway.

Nah, that's not silly. That's exactly what happens to me. I just play the same tune over and over and I'm usually not sure where it came from. I can pick up any instrument and play the same tune and I don't know where it's even from, but it's mine and it comes from a deeper place than my own conscious mind it seems. I've been trying to sing words to it but that's kind of hard.

I used to feel euphoric from exercise but now I'm experiencing that less and less. It makes exercise less fun. But I guess the high can't last forever.

I think after all of that the piano is still there. I knew they couldn't depart with it. It's a rare model.

I think when I was younger I was closer to dysmythia or however you spell it.

I was hypomanic for about 5 hours tonight. And though I was in bed by 10pm last night it's 11:30pm and I don't feel tired at all.

Since I was a kid I'd get obsessed with a certain person but it's common on the autism spectrum too. They become special interests, lol.

Hypomania is great. I do tend to run around like an idiot with a camera and demand everyone love my photos that are of just random objects around the house but at the time they are like the most AMAZING photographs ever. I get really chatty and write out these really crazy (at the time I think they are brilliant and creative) thoughts. My average Facebook status updates are about 3-5 paragraphs long during this time.
I used to only experience euphoric mania or short dysphoric mania but now I think it's been lasting quite a long time. I think it's made worse by anxiety and depression. Manic anxieties are the worst especially when I start getting paranoid about people that can start from thoughts that they are simply judging/mocking to them wanting to hurt me. I even suspected I've been spied on by the neighbours.
Euphoric or dysphoric, I'm always losing control of myself and it's a hard thing to deal with afterwards and I can't imagine what being in that constant state for days must be like. I'm kind of up then level the up then maybe down then up again.
I like to relate the differences to the whole sprinter vs endurance runner thing. There was actually an article saying if you're either one it has to do with genes. Anyway, I'm a sprinter in the fact that I'm a speedy runner over short distances, it even saved my life once. And then I'm worn out. I can't run over great distances and not tire out like what endurance runners can do. And everything I do is in a short explosive bursts. And the analogy pretty much ends there. I like to make the slight connection there though.

Sorry, I'm not quoting you but I don't think I could handle such a task right now.

keliza
06-07-13, 12:15 PM
Fuzzy, I think you are right - since you can't get seen by a therapist anytime soon, maybe you ought to look into buying some self-help CBT/DBT workbooks. They can be quite helpful for people who don't want to see a therapist, can't afford one, or otherwise can't get in to see one. The workbooks can at least give you a good idea of strategies you can try to improve your symptoms. I wish it was easier for you to get in to see someone in the UK. I guess the American healthcare system isn't the worst thing in the world... both have their issues.

To a point brought up in a previous post, borderline doesn't just mean that you're clingy with people all the time. Many people with BPD do find it difficult to form any kind of healthy bond, and so see themselves as the one leaving others, because they don't want to be left first so they intentionally don't let those attachments form. With people who have BPD, almost everything about their relationships is in absolutes, black or white. It's either, "I don't care about you at all either way, you mean nothing to me" or "I need you in my life, and if it feels like you're going to abandon me for any reason, I am going to lose it."

So that's just something to be aware of regarding BPD, is it's not just that people with BPD are clingy with everyone who comes into their lives. To the contrary, they're very much one way or the other - either they put you on a pedestal or leave you in the dirt, there's not a lot in between. The good news is that BPD is seen as a much more treatable disorder than it was in the past, it's no longer a "lost cause" diagnosis. People with BPD can learn how to reframe their mental schemas about relationships and learn more healthy, adaptive, mature, reasonable ways of relating and responding to others.

daveddd
06-07-13, 12:26 PM
I like the name of your thread too

It sounds better than its synonym emotional regulation

I relate to it better

daveddd
06-07-13, 01:00 PM
Oh yea

I only mentioned reading linehans model. Because she puts the disorder in a lot less condescending manner than most of the archaic cavemen models

Something I can see someone being able to accept much easier

And something that just makes a lot more sense

keliza
06-07-13, 05:55 PM
I highly recommend reading Linehan too, even for those who do not have borderline personality disorder. I've read into her work because two good friends of mine have BPD (and one who isn't diagnosed but I strongly suspect it). I want to understand it better so that I have a little more insight into how their minds work, that way I can reframe their behaviors in my own mind through the lens of trying to understand how their personality disorder warps things for them. It has been immensely helpful to our relationship, when I can step back and not become reactive to their instability because I have a better understanding of why they think/feel/behave this way.

I think even if you are not borderline (and especially if you question whether or not what you have is rapid-cycling BP or BPD), reading Linehan's work and learning about DBT (the type of therapy she pioneered for treating BPD) can be really informative and helpful. I myself have found her writings and the tenants of DBT interesting even though I have a pretty classic case of bipolar I. The central themes in DBT are applicable to bipolar disorder in some ways as well. I think Buddhist/stoic philosophies that Linehan brought into DBT can be useful for anyone in dealing with mental illness, regardless of what that illness is. It just happens to work particularly well for those with BPD.

fracturedstory
06-08-13, 01:56 AM
I leave people because once I they get so confused by one of my cyclic moods I used to go to them about ODD/PMDD or whatever I think it is, and they will say don't use a disorder as as excuse. You're smart and you have a strong mind...and other BS. They all seemed to be trolls anyway. They weren't trolling then but they just had that in their personality and I don't want to know people like that.

I really don't think I'm borderline because the onset age is different than what it usually is, and it did all start with PMDD. That's not really hard to confuse. The whole period thing.

daveddd
06-08-13, 06:25 AM
http://books.google.com/books?id=LoQhNOrUnkYC&pg=PA22&dq=borderline+personality+epilepsy&hl=en&sa=X&ei=HQWzUcivBqa9ygHm_4DABw&ved=0CDoQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=borderline%20personality%20epilepsy&f=false

there is a documented behavioral disturbance in epileptic patients that resembles borderline, with epilepsy as an underlying predisposition

this is just a little read on it

but linehan has something where not only epilepsy but high EEGs where found in a large amount of borderline patients, followed by attentional and hyperactivity disorders (i think we know those) and developmental coordination disorders

remember BPD is not necessarily a specific "disorder" as much as it is a group of symptoms

fracturedstory
06-08-13, 07:16 AM
I was ADHD before I was epileptic.

I dunno. I don't want to shop around for disorders. I just want a qualified doctor to tell me what I have and give me some treatment.

Though I had a few drinks and have become hypomanic. I know, probably a bad thing but someone bought them for me. Also, I can't read that. The drunkenness.

daveddd
06-09-13, 08:41 AM
i sometimes find solace in the fact that what is going on with me, has been documented in others as well, and maybe there is an explanation

i just assumed maybe you would have too, wasnt attempting to give you any labels