View Full Version : Let's work together to manage our weight!

Oregon
06-05-13, 05:09 PM
Hi everyone,

Whether you're trying to lose weight, gain weight, maintain weight, or you're fighting with an eating disorder, lets work together! It helps having a support network in place! Please feel welcome to share whatever you like! Pictures, height, weight, none of this stuff is required! Just feel welcome to chat about how you're doing with your diet (gaining/losing), or how things are going with your eating disorder. We all make mistakes, so don't be afraid or ashamed!

I'll tell you a little bit about my history with weight. I was a very heavy kid (300 lbs by 11 or 12), after being unhappy about this, I started losing weight. By the time I was 17-19, I was down to 165-168 lbs (at 6'3" tall). I felt sick, and weak the whole time. Now at 23, I'm up to 205 lbs, and feeling better than ever! I still have a LONG way to go, but if I can do it, anyone can!

I went to the gym today. It was leg day. My legs are killing me now, but it was worth it. :p

Oregon

Meagan
06-06-13, 09:50 PM
I just want to get healthy fit and maintain my weight. 50 yrs old, 5'3, 126 lbs.

I made it to a hatha yoga class and did okay. At least, I didn't appear to be struggling much more than anyone else.

Made a healthy dinner: chicken breasts, putanesca sauce, pasta, and broccoli.

Going to bed early

My mom isn't feeling well tonight. If I'm not taking her to the ER in the morning, I am going to walk/run (90/10).

Abi
06-06-13, 10:57 PM
Okay, how are we gonna do this?

I am 31 / male / 6'0 / 240ish -- target 180 - 185

Raye
06-07-13, 07:57 AM
would love to, but my pdoc suggested all the weight I've gained is from all the meds I've tried over the last year.

Abi
06-07-13, 10:49 AM
mine too

5 years.

TygerSan
06-07-13, 02:01 PM
I'm in (tho the mere thought of doing something like this send my anxiety through the roof). . . I've gained ~50 pounds or so in the last 5 years that I would really like to lose again. I'm afraid to step on the scale right now : (

Oregon
06-07-13, 04:28 PM
I just want to get healthy fit and maintain my weight. 50 yrs old, 5'3, 126 lbs.

I made it to a hatha yoga class and did okay. At least, I didn't appear to be struggling much more than anyone else.

Made a healthy dinner: chicken breasts, putanesca sauce, pasta, and broccoli.

Going to bed early

My mom isn't feeling well tonight. If I'm not taking her to the ER in the morning, I am going to walk/run (90/10).

I hope you're mom is alright!

Congrats on making it to yoga and eating right! It's always a step in the right direction.

Okay, how are we gonna do this?

I am 31 / male / 6'0 / 240ish -- target 180 - 185

You can do it brother! I'm not comparing you to myself, but I was 300+ lbs, and dropped it. I gain weight very easily, so it have to constantly be on top of my diet in order to keep it in check.

would love to, but my pdoc suggested all the weight I've gained is from all the meds I've tried over the last year.

Is this something that can be fixed with diet + exercise? I know you can do it! :yes:

I'm in (tho the mere thought of doing something like this send my anxiety through the roof). . . I've gained ~50 pounds or so in the last 5 years that I would really like to lose again. I'm afraid to step on the scale right now : (

No need to feel anxious! If you think about it, time will pass regardless. If you do a little bit of exercise & watch your diet now, you'll constantly make progress. If you don't, time will still pass and you'll still be in the same boat. :) No need to worry about such things.

Okay guys/gals, I'm going to give you guys a few tips that have helped me lose weight over the years.

1. It doesn't really matter what time you eat, it's all about calories in vs. calories out. The only thing I'd really try to avoid before sleeping is heavy carbs. Even then, it's not as big of a deal as people make it out to be.
2. Drink lots of water, a lot of our food (especially processed food) is very high in salt and contributes to our bodies holding water weight.
3. When you get hungry, try a cup of hot tea/coffee. The warm temperature tricks your body into believing that it's full (at least this helped for me).
4. Eat smarter, don't eat less. I eat 6-8x a day right now and never starve myself.
5. Have a cheat meal once a week! If you don't allow your body this cheat meal, you'll drive yourself insane and will be more likely to fail. Try to limit this to once a week. On Saturday I will eat whatever I want. If I want a large pizza & 2 lbs of fries, I'm going to eat it! :D
6. Try to get a little exercise everyday (seems pretty obvious), but even simple things like short walks, bicycling, etc will help increase your metabolism and help the weight come off faster.
7. Keep track of your calories! There are apps for smart phones (my favorite is myfitnesspal) that allow you to track your calories & even scan ID bars on food items to automatically look up food. You input your personal data (height/weight) and it gives you an idea of what you should be consuming. If you don't have a smart phone myfitness pal can also be accessed online. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links, but you can google it.

The other option would be to write it out on paper. :)

Remember guys/gals, we all make mistakes with our diet. Whether you're trying to gain, maintain, or lose, we all make mistakes. Just roll with it, and pick it back up. Consistency is the key. I read somewhere that it takes 21 days to make a habit, so stick with it, it gets easier! :)

Today so far,
45 minutes of weight lifting (Chest & triceps)
20 minutes of light jogging

Current stats are: 23 years old / Male / 1.93m-193cm-6'3"/ 207 lbs

Breakfast: 2 cups of egg beaters w/ mushrooms & onions
2nd breakfast?: 8oz lean turkey breast
Lunch: 3 cans of tuna w/ 2 tomatoes
2nd Lunch: Baked chicken w/ veggies
Dinner: Will be Italian beef (low fat), black rice & beans.
2nd Dinner: Omelet w/ onions, sprinkle of cheese, and asparagus.
Other: Protein shake after workout w/5g creatine monohydrate.

This diet might seem extreme, but it's low fat, in the right calorie range, and protein rich to help me continue to progress towards my goals.

One day at a time my friends, don't lose confidence!

ThinkingOutLoud
06-08-13, 02:07 PM
Oregon, you have done a great job. You should be so proud of yourself //big hugz.

I like your diet... high protein with a good balance of carbs and fat. And your commitment to the gym is awesome too.

In the past 6 months Ive gained 60lbs or so. Im 5'11" and weigh around 200 or so now... too afraid to get on the scale. Serious issues surrounding my life so Id been stress eating and I had a broken foot so the gym wasn't really working for me that well. Then I finally had the surgery to fix my foot so now the gym is impossible.

What I have done so far is:

stopped drinking soda -- it was diet so I wasn't getting the cals but it was still bad

drink at least 5 - 16oz bottles of water (this is really good for me because Ive never been a water drinker)

Not eat after 6pm

Eat carbs and fats in the beginning of the day -- that way it gives me more of the day to burn them off, opposed to eating them for dinner and going to bed maybe 4-5hrs later.

Limit myself to two meals a day and I have one cheat day once a week. Cheat day is whatever I want through the whole day.
--------------------------
yesterday I had:

Breakfast: low cal vegetarian lasagna for one with extra pepperjack cheese
Dinner: 2 yams - plain
small bowl of sliced pineapple
-----------
Today
Breakfast: peanubutter and jelly sandwich (this is my cheat day)
-----------

Im not posting this for a recommended diet... I have an ED - ana tendencies, but I need to get back on track. Ive lost one pant size since Ive gotten serious.

I used to be a gym rat. Every day for 6 yrs... weekends and holidays too. 5 - 7 more weeks and I can start back once I get the cast off and get the walking boot :)
---------
Id like to post meals and stats with others. That will help me ...it will make me accountable for what I eat and can share good news as it comes.

Id rather do this here than on another forum I used to belong to. That forum was dangerous for me to be a member because they encouraged fasting and crazy diets with unsafe cal counts for too many days in a row. Its too easy for me to get caught back up in that.

ThinkingOutLoud
06-08-13, 07:34 PM
I didn't snack all day :)

Dinner:
baked chicken with bbq sauce
4 bites of mustard egg potato salad

Not a bad day for a cheat day :)

stef
06-08-13, 07:37 PM
i hope to buy a bike his month!

ThinkingOutLoud
06-09-13, 03:36 PM
i hope to buy a bike his month!

That would be great! Bikes are great cardio and weight will litterly drop off.

Today for breakfast:
3 egg omelette with pepperjack cheese
water

Dying for food now... trying to hold out a little longer. Im really hungry...

stef
06-09-13, 03:45 PM
That would be great! Bikes are great cardio and weight will litterly drop off

i dont need to lose too much weight and i walk quite a bit, i need some other exercise though. im trying not to see it as execise but more like, getting out on weekend afternoons and exploring, there is this immense park/woods/ area where we live.

ThinkingOutLoud
06-10-13, 12:26 PM
i dont need to lose too much weight and i walk quite a bit, i need some other exercise though. im trying not to see it as execise but more like, getting out on weekend afternoons and exploring, there is this immense park/woods/ area where we live.

That is great!

I like to hide exercise into fun things too.

Like going to a pool or the beach is great exercise... I might lay in the sun a lot but I spend a lot of time in the water jumping and swimming around.

Almost any fun activity is exercise... rollerskating, iceskating, skiing, horseback riding, snorkeling, diving, swimming, hiking, camping, going to the mall (all the walking) etc...

Ive found going to the gym and being on some of the equipment isn't so boring anymore... I bring my phone and play games while im on leg machines, treadmills or elipticals... it makes time go by and I don't clock watch.

Today for breakfast:
potpie - turkey 550 cals
water

SquarePeg
06-10-13, 01:04 PM
I used to be bulimic from the age of 14 to 21 then I had therapy (for something else) when I was 21 and I have been fine ever since. Anyway wanted to share that a friend of mine is trying the 2 day diet where you eat normally for 5 days then 2 days very low carbs, no alcohol.

She is losing weight steadily, she has lost 2 1/2 stone so far. The 2 days have to be consecutive but she is finding it easy to stick to, she has been on it for 5 months I think.

ThinkingOutLoud
06-10-13, 04:59 PM
I used to be bulimic from the age of 14 to 21 then I had therapy (for something else) when I was 21 and I have been fine ever since. Anyway wanted to share that a friend of mine is trying the 2 day diet where you eat normally for 5 days then 2 days very low carbs, no alcohol.

She is losing weight steadily, she has lost 2 1/2 stone so far. The 2 days have to be consecutive but she is finding it easy to stick to, she has been on it for 5 months I think.

That's great to hear! Be proud of yourself.

That sounds like a pretty easy diet to stick to.

I saw this thing on tv and it was about health. They did a study that showed people who had Very restricted sugars and carbs were much healthier than people who had a normal intake. It was really interesting but bad for people who have ED's.

josh989
06-10-13, 06:37 PM
My story is a lot like Oregon's. I was always a bit heavy as a kid growing up. When I was 15 I moved really far away (UK) for 2 years. I didn't handle the change very well and fell into a depression of sorts and gained a LOT of weight. I moved back when I was 17 and finished up highschool in my home town. When I graduated I was 340lbs and hated seeing myself in the mirror. The grad photos were the tipping point (no pun intended). I lost 40 lbs over that same summer and got to 185lbs by the following summer. I was the lightest I'd been but wasn't really fit or healthy, just lighter. I wasn't eating nearly as much as I should have been.

I started forcing myself to work out. I hated (and still do) cardio but fell in love with weights, especially benching. I got serious for a while and started eating more and drinking protein shakes, thinking I didn't have to worry so much about my previous diet since I'd lost so much weight. Eventually started to focused mostly on weights and not cardio. I also went on SSRIs to treat my depression which increased my appetite by an ungodly amount. I gained a lot of muscle and got very strong, but fat came with it. Eventually I was 250lbs and realized SSRIs were not working for me. I attribute most of my weight gain to SSRIs.

Fast forward a year to now and I'm 230lbs 5'11. Off SSRIs but now on stims for ADD. Stims don't actually help my weight loss because it reduces my appetite so much and I end up eating anything convenient when they wear off. I don't gain weight but I find it a lot harder to lose at the same time. My goal is 200 lbs. I know a lot about weight loss and all the mistakes I'm making, it's just sticking to the program and avoiding all the outside influences that's the problem.

TygerSan
08-16-13, 02:46 PM
Well, I just started for real.

Started EA Active on the Wii (cardio kickstart programme first, then going into the 63 day programme)

Joined weight watcher online. Am weighing in with my mom weekly. Wish me luck. :)

(It doesn't really help that I'm going into this with the attitude that it's not going to work :( but I'll give it my best shot).

ThinkingOutLoud
08-17-13, 04:21 PM
Tyger I wish you the best of luck. If you stick with it you will begin to see results aand then you will believe and it will help motivate you from there..

Hugz

TygerSan
08-25-13, 08:41 AM
Hormones suck :(

Not only do they make me feel like a bloated, fat, sack of shyte, I also feel like I'm *starving* and need like double my allowance of carbs and sugary crap.

On the plus side, lost ~3 lbs last week, so a pretty good start. I'm trying so hard, but next weekend we're away at a hotel for a family function, which makes everything so much harder.

Oregon
09-04-13, 09:05 PM
Just checking in, I've been overseas for a little while! I won't lie.. I've slipped on my diet, but it's back in check now. :D

How is everyone doing?

Hormones suck :(
Not only do they make me feel like a bloated, fat, sack of shyte, I also feel like I'm *starving* and need like double my allowance of carbs and sugary crap.On the plus side, lost ~3 lbs last week, so a pretty good start. I'm trying so hard, but next weekend we're away at a hotel for a family function, which makes everything so much harder.

Congrats on the weight loss!! Don't go 0 carb, but try to keep it at a decent level. :) I find when I cut the carbs way to much I have 0 energy, and I feel sick.

Daydreamin22
09-04-13, 09:28 PM
Sure I feel like I could eat an entire pint of ben and jerry's red velvet ice cream right now.

Rebelyell
09-06-13, 01:44 PM
I soooo miss being 135 lbs and a size 28, since ive been on meds ive gone up to 210.Sometimes I just dont eat and skip meals n I think the wellbutrin is sort of an anorectic agent.

TygerSan
09-12-13, 03:15 PM
I'm kind of plateaued right now. Trying to keep positive (I managed to lose 0.4 of a pound the week of being away/eating out. Still, I thought I stayed well within my allotted points and didn't use all the weekly, so I'm even more afraid to indulge this weekend on my birthday. :(. Still, 5 pounds down, 5 to go till my first goal (in a perfect world, I'd like to be down 50 pounds, but that seems like a crazy thing to even hope for now).

Fwiw, I can't do anything low carb. I end up an irritable witch.

ana futura
09-12-13, 04:02 PM
Don't get fixated on a number. It's entirely possible that your weight will plateau or even go up while your BMI goes down, if you are lifting weights or doing any strength building. That's a good thing! Knowing your BMI is far more useful than your weight, especially as you get closer to your target.

I weigh a good 10 pounds less than I did a couple years ago, but I have lost a lot of muscle. My BMI is higher than it used to be while my weight is actually lower.

I felt much fitter and healthier when my bmi was lower and i weighed more.

SteveEk
09-25-13, 04:36 AM
Don't get fixated on a number. It's entirely possible that your weight will plateau or even go up while your BMI goes down, if you are lifting weights or doing any strength building. That's a good thing! Knowing your BMI is far more useful than your weight, especially as you get closer to your target.

I weigh a good 10 pounds less than I did a couple years ago, but I have lost a lot of muscle. My BMI is higher than it used to be while my weight is actually lower.

I felt much fitter and healthier when my bmi was lower and i weighed more.

What is BMI and how it is related to the weight of our body? I also need some suggestion to increase my appetite,I take all the treatments to gain my weight but unable to gain weight and good muscle.Thanks in advance!

ana futura
09-25-13, 10:23 AM
qWhat is BMI and how it is related to the weight of our body? I also need some suggestion to increase my appetite,I take all the treatments to gain my weight but unable to gain weight and good muscle.Thanks in advance!

I think I made a mistake. Instead of BMI (body mass index- a number based on the ration between height and weight) I meant body fat percentage.

It's difficult to measure correctly without expensive equipment, but they do sell scales for home use that while not exceptionally accurate can at least be used against themselves (i.e. you won't get an extremely accurate number, but you will at least know if your percentage is going up or down)

What are you doing to gain muscle? Are you lifting weights and supplementing with protein? That is the single best way.

TygerSan
09-27-13, 08:34 AM
I knew what you meant, Ana. :)

I'm down 10 pounds and change since 8/16. Am on phase 2 of the exercise program starting today. Walked/ran 2 miles and change on Wed and have started climbing again.

I need better running shoes before I commit to more running,though. My hiking boots made my feet go numb, so I won't be trying that again.

LynneC
10-08-13, 06:34 PM
I knew what you meant, Ana. :)

I'm down 10 pounds and change since 8/16. Am on phase 2 of the exercise program starting today. Walked/ran 2 miles and change on Wed and have started climbing again.

I need better running shoes before I commit to more running,though. My hiking boots made my feet go numb, so I won't be trying that again.
Tyger, have you altered your diet at all?

Rebelyell
10-08-13, 06:48 PM
:yes:I went from 210-215 to 196 pounds in a month or soo yeees!

LynneC
10-09-13, 06:25 AM
Tyger, have you altered your diet at all?
PS, In my typical hurried fashion, I started at the last post and didn't work my way backward very far. I can see that you have modified your diet. :o

TygerSan
10-10-13, 02:48 PM
Not gonna lie. The diet part is hard.

They say you can have anything you want in moderation, but when you are give 32 points for the day, and a serving of chicken wings is 25 points, well it looks like I'll be getting the grilled chicken sandwich, cause while 3 chicken wings is doable, I'll be hungry later.

And I'm such a rule follower that I worry about using my weekly points, or worry about estimating portions and such when eating out. And what I miss most is eating out being fun, not stressful.

It's like kindergarten lessons in how to make "good choices".

On the plus side, in not having nearly as much trouble with heartburn/reflux as I had been. I actually can't remember the last time I took anything for it, and it was almost a weekly occurrence before.

Abi
10-10-13, 03:00 PM
Let's rob a bank and get lipo.

Unmanagable
10-10-13, 03:36 PM
Trying to count ww points and remembering to log in and check stuff, always wondering is this on the list of approved stuff, can I order this, I wonder how they prepare it, and blah, blah, blah turned weight watchers into yet another nightmare and charitable organization I was donating to, like the gym membership I was paying monthly and didn't show up for. lol

Reading a book called "Food Rules: An Eater's Manual" by Michael Pollan, and having lengthy chats with a local chiropractor, nutritionist, and my permaculture peeps, I discovered the only necessary diet for me was to remember to eat REAL food vs. the processed chemical **** storm of food-like substances and ta-da. lol

I lost a couple pants sizes, felt healthier than I did trying to stress over keeping up with ww, or paleo, or atkins, or the grapefruit diet, or whatever method I tried to explore and threw money at after each previous failed attempt.

Some things that help me:

Instead of soda, I now buy organic fruit juices and mix 1/2 juice, half seltzer water for the fizzy effect and it's just as sweet (once your taste buds adjust to REAL sugars vs. the processed sugars)

Instead of ginger-ale, I drink ginger kombucha (a fermented tea) - full of probiotics and no artifical stuff.

I buy local and in season as often as possible and don't stock the stuff I know I'll gorge on if it's readily available.

Some of the things I remember from that book I mentioned above that stuck in my head and help keep me on track are:

"If it's made in a plant, don't eat it. If it's grown on a plant, eat it."

"If your great grandma wouldn't recognize it as food, don't eat it."

"If a three year old can't pronounce any of the ingredients, don't eat it."

"Shop the perimeters of the grocery store for the real food options. The processed, less healthy options are in the center aisles and end caps."

"If it has more than five ingredients listed, chances are, it's not healthy."

And the exercise part was so dreadful to me as far as getting my s*** together to make it to the gym (did I remember my swimsuit, my pool shoes, my towel, my gym shoes, change of clothes, blah, blah) and my "what-ifness" mind steadily kicking into turbo the whole time. I was wore the he!! out before I made it out of my house. lol

Nature walks and treasure hunts, gardening, dancing my a** off randomly in the house, sporadic yoga, trying to hula hoop, drumming, and punching my speed bag are my main forms of exercise now. A lot cheaper and much more fun to me.

I'll never be a poster child for really good health in any regard, but making it be fun for me has been my best chance to get closer to feeling human-like most days.

I don't do much structured group exercise, unless music festivals and local gigs count. lol Group exercise can be fun and help hold you accountable, but it's also pretty annoying for me. I don't like having that competitiveness kick in really hard on a day that I'm not equipped to be a good sport. :)

Edited to add what I forgot to mention:

I also make sure (not consistently, of course) I drink a glass of water when I first wake up, eat a high protein breakfast, and keep high protein snacks handy to munch on between meals. That makes a huge difference in how well I function and my energy level.

I changed my cooking oils to grape seed and coconut.

Switched table salt to sea salt and i use turmeric, garlic, ginger, cayenne pepper to season with often.

I use Bragg's organic vinegar.

I add ground chia and hemp seeds, hemp oil and green leafy veggies to smoothies and other dishes.

I eliminated most dairy and use coconut, almond, or hemp milk.

Trying to eliminate white and wheat bread and eat Ezekiel stuff, but I'll report back on that when I've managed it. lol

Once I switched my kitchen inventory to healthier base ingredients, rid of the other stuff slowly, and learned a few quick and easy ways to prepare stuff, it's flowed pretty smoothly.

I still stray far away from it, especially during hormonal hell week when my patience don't have time for all that preparation s***. lol

TygerSan
10-11-13, 09:17 AM
I would love to eat less processed food. Funnily, looking at the points values and such is leading to healthier, less processed choices simply because those foods tend to be more nutrient dense and efficient points wise.

I've been unable to find a kombucha I can stomach, otherwise I would strongly consider drinking them. I miss fizzy drinks, but buying flavored seltzer kinda gives me pause, and I don't like diet soda at all (tho I admit that when I really crave something fizzy at a restaurant, I will order one).

Unmanagable
10-12-13, 12:24 AM
If you can find any places that offer kombucha on tap, in refillable growlers, try it that way. BIG difference as far as sediment and level of carbonation. It definitely aces all the bottled varieties I've tried so far.

LynneC
10-12-13, 11:58 AM
I miss fizzy drinks, but buying flavored seltzer kinda gives me pause, and I don't like diet soda at all (tho I admit that when I really crave something fizzy at a restaurant, I will order one).
I love flavored seltzer! If it's on sale I'll get the LaCroix lemon or grapefruit that comes in 12 oz cans, and if it's not on sale I buy the plastic quart bottles of Ritz...
How come you don't like them?
I also make my own iced tea by putting about a cup and a half of water in a sauce pan, boiling it then adding 3 bags of black tea and 3 bags of green tea and take it off the burner. I let it steep for a few minutes then pour it into a pitcher or empty 1/2 gal milk jug that I have filled about 2/3 with cool water. Keeps me in fresh tea for up to a week, depending on how much I'm drinking it... I don't sweeten it, but if I did I'd probably use Stevia, or part sugar /part Stevia, to keep the carbs down.

TygerSan
10-13-13, 08:18 PM
I'll have to reconsider the seltzers. I just wonder how they have flavor but no calories, but there are times you just want something cold and fizzy. Schweppes club soda has the added bonus of spontaneous eruption upon opening, even when completely un-jostled.

I have taken to drinking iced tea but there are times when I don't want caffeine.

As for stevia, I really,really tried to like it when it first hit store shelves. Although I don't particularly like the taste of the artificial sweeteners, they all taste significantly better to me than stevia, which tastes more bitter than sweet to me. I've actually found that, given the choice, I'd rather have something slightly less sweet but sweetened by less honey or sugar than something made with artificial or no calorie sweetener.

ronmexico
10-13-13, 08:38 PM
I have a lot of experience in losing weight and managing weight. Currently, I am annoyed by the 3 to 4 pounds I am trying to shed that everyone says I do not have to lose.

Unmanagable
10-14-13, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by TygerSan: I'll have to reconsider the seltzers. I just wonder how they have flavor but no calories, but there are times you just want something cold and fizzy. Schweppes club soda has the added bonus of spontaneous eruption upon opening, even when completely un-jostled.I can't handle the flavored seltzer water, either. It's a little too subtle for my taste buds.

I just add plain seltzer water to some organic fruit juice (R.W. Knudsen brand, usually, grab it when it's on sale) so I know where the much fuller flavor came from. ;)

Edited to add: Have you tried raw honey or raw sugar as a sweetener for your teas? I've had luck with transitioning to those. I want to try using dates as a sweetener in some smoothies and other recipes.

LynneC
10-19-13, 07:20 AM
Stevia does have a different taste and takes some getting used to.
I like the idea of adding a splash of juice to seltzer.

I think what helps also (long term) is to slowly get your palate accustomed to less sweetness by reducing the amount of sweetener that you useover time, whether it's sugar, artificial sweeteners, juice, whatever...

TygerSan
03-07-14, 03:10 PM
I found my kombucha brand! Capital kombucha is great. They have several varieties that are 45 calories per bottle, including a Granny Smith version that tastes just as good as a nice, dry alcoholic cider. Not cheap, though.

I have been much more successful with this whole thing than I ever imagined I would've eight months ago. I'm back to the weight I was four years ago. If I can do this, almost anyone can. Having a plan of some kind helps a lot, as does having the support of those around you.

Unmanagable
03-07-14, 03:46 PM
Hot damns, high fives, and hugs for your success!! Oh what a feeling. :)

I've tried the Capital brand, too, and they definitely rank at the top of my faves. :)

I've been told by some friends who make their own that it's super easy to learn and tastes so much better than the store bought, once you get your method down pat (that's the part that concerns me....lol).

I'm planning to learn how to do it by the end of Spring, if not sooner via you tube. lol I'd love to see the cost effectiveness, the headaches/joys of the process, and the flavor/carbonation similarities. I've been saving all my bottles in eager anticipation. :)

gazingupwards
05-05-14, 03:20 PM
I am 5'4' 188lbs. as of today. I do smoke unfortunately, and am on adderall for my ADD. I did not start adderall and suddenly start losing weight. I am trying to make some extreme life changes, from my personality to my looks. I weighed between 195 and 203 before I started taking adderall. My ideal weight is 145.

As soon as I made up my mind to lose weight it has been coming off super fast. I am not exercising but doing more strenuous work at my job and doubling my effort as a sort of built in exercise that accomodates my schedule. My heart pumps and I sweat.

I am doing an experiment with quick weight loss on myself. I am very aware that it is in my best interest to lose weight slowly, but I have always tried this approach and maybe I am wrong, but I feel like if I lose the weight more quickly and see results it will give me more of a drive to push myself. I lose 8 to 10 lbs. in first week just from increasing water intake. I am currently eating between 800 to 1000 calories and I am not sure how long weight will easily fall off before my body goes crazy trying to hold onto body fat. It is actually not very hard so far. I have been grazing throughout the day on yogurt, bananas, atkins shake in morning, pineapple, spinach with mozerella, veggies, V8. I am triying to have as much good nutrients in my body as possible.

My plan is to get my weight down about 10lbs. below the weight I want to maintain before quitting smoking. The goal is that on average women gain 10 to 20 lbs. after quitting. I know that everyone is saying quit now. I want to work on one thing at a time, and the fact that I feel that this is inspiring me to even think about quitting again is something. I plan on starting to drink green tea and up to oolong if necessary to give my metabolism the same kick as nicotine and then slowly wean off.

I don't know if this will work, but I am getting somewhere at this moment in time, and feel excited about the possibilities. For all the people starting a diet who are not smokers, drink tons of water!! You will weigh less. And I am trying to do the best that I can, and I wish I had never ever touched a cigarette. I quit once for two years and started back. It is soo much harder to quit again because I remember how hard it was for me the first time, but I need to do this in a way that makes sense to me.

TygerSan
05-07-14, 09:26 AM
Great job gazing :)

The first step is always the hardest (you don't want to know how many *years* of nagging I got before I was finally ready to make that step).

I totally agree that changing one thing at a time is the way to go, and if you know that you are going to gain weight if you stop smoking, it does make sense to get some of the weight off first.

I am not on stimulant meds currently, but when I was, the first year the pounds just melted off effortlessly because I just wasn't as hungry. The appetite suppressant effect of the meds started gradually subsiding at the 6 month mark, though, and by the year mark I think I was back to eating my pre-med portions and amounts. If you can learn the habits while on the meds, though, I think it's much easier to stick to the plan (especially if you're like me and you tend to just eat mindlessly).

Personally, I'm using a plan that is geared towards incremental weight loss (averaging around 1-3 pounds a week). It doesn't seem like a lot, but when you see results week after week, at least for me, that keeps me motivated to continue. That and the handy graph that shows your progress over the last X months, and you see the downward trending line.

Even if you have a bad week (like I did when we did a road-trip vacation and I gained 3.5 pounds :doh: ) having weekly check-ins means that you know that you can make it up the following week. I also find that if I tell myself I absolutely cannot have something, it is much worse than just saying "I'll limit my intake of X." Everyone needs a treat once in a while, and when you budget the treat into your calories for the week (even if you know you're going over what you're supposed to be eating), I find it works better than driving past Sonic every day lusting after the milkshake until the one day when you absolutely can't take it anymore and binge on a 1000 calorie milkshake, burger and fries.

Binging and blowing it aren't the end of the world, though. Nobody's perfect (something I still need to remind myself of regularly). Everyone has really bad, impulsive days (even people without ADHD). The trick is forgiving yourself and moving forward. Keep on moving forward.

HADDaball
07-23-14, 06:47 AM

I saw this thing on tv and it was about health. They did a study that showed people who had Very restricted sugars and carbs were much healthier than people who had a normal intake. It was really interesting but bad for people who have ED's.

why was it bad?