View Full Version : He PASSED! And IEP Eval Update

JenE
06-07-13, 10:37 AM
Got DS's report card today and he got A's and B's with a C in spelling which doesn't surprise me. They have passed him to 6th Grade!!!! YAY!!!!! So glad I don't have to fight that battle. Although we are 99% sure he is going to the private school so it doesn't really matter.

Had the IEP eval review this morning also. Don't have the info in front of me but in a nutshell, his intelligence tested very high with superior results in math calculations and math reasoning. His processing was low average but she felt that was due to the high anxiety he exhibited during testing. So she said his overall score didn't adequately represent his abilities and it should be higher. His anxiety is marked and does impact his ability to function at school. We agreed an IEP is not warranted at this time as they were unsure what specialized program they could do for him. But we agreed he definitely needed a 504 for accommodations to address his anxiety.

We are supposed to meet as a team later for that--would have to be with the elementary staff who know him and the middle school staff who would be working with him. Don't know what we'll do since we plan to do the private school. I can share the school report with the new school and we can work up any accommodations he may need with them. He may not need much or anything because they approach their students so differently--they have told me they address the whole personal needs of the student before worrying about the academic. I sure hope this works out.

I told DS he had passed to 6st grade. At first he was happy and then he was immediately anxious--because middle school will be harder. We've got our work cut out for us!!!

silivrentoliel
06-07-13, 11:50 AM
Congrats on passing through to 6th grade!! Can you keep working with him during the summer on some of the basics they might use at the start of the year to help him feel like he's got a leg up and not so anxious?

Lunacie
06-07-13, 01:15 PM
That's awesome! Here's hoping the new school will be awesome as well. :)

Sending my granddaughter to a different school this year made a huge
difference - she's promoted to 6th grade as well. She can stay in this
school and advance to middle school, or she can be the first student in a
new class (diff school) for kids w/ Autism. Both options make her anxious.

Meagan
06-07-13, 02:12 PM
Get the 504 regardless. It is good to document your processes and may give you and the new school valuable insights.

Congrats to him on his success!

LynneC
06-07-13, 06:06 PM
Jen, that's fantastic! Congratulations to your DS and kudos to you for all the hard work that you have done to get him through these past couple of months... :)

zette93
06-07-13, 08:38 PM
We agreed an IEP is not warranted at this time as they were unsure what specialized program they could do for him.

I hope you didn't sign anything, and that you recorded the meeting. Get an advocate. They have admitted they don't have a program to address his anxiety, and it is affecting his ability to learn in the gen ed setting. This opens the door for you to make a case for the school district to PAY FOR the private school. An advocate or lawyer should give you a free consultation and can give you some idea of what would be involved.

zette93
06-07-13, 10:42 PM
I wanted to add: Just because they don't know what program he needs does not relieve them of the obligation to provide an education he can access.

mcnay1
06-08-13, 07:39 AM
That is great news! I hope the summer can provide some relief for your son. Growing up is so hard! But, congrats....

Ms. Mango
06-08-13, 08:54 AM
Congrats to your DS! Now he can move forward; I hope the new school is a better fit for him.

SquarePeg
06-08-13, 01:05 PM
Bless him, well done, shame he canīt just enjoy it for the moment and not stress about next year.

My daughter has passed most of her exams since starting concerta last September but she still feels every one is a fluke and that she will fail the next one, as she is so used to failing. She canīt quite get used to the fact that she can learn and remember stuff now and itīs taking a while to get her confidence up.

I hope your son can enjoy a proper childhood summer, he deserves it.

tripleE
06-10-13, 11:54 AM
Congratulations!!!! To both him and you!! :D

I hope you didn't sign anything, and that you recorded the meeting. Get an advocate. They have admitted they don't have a program to address his anxiety, and it is affecting his ability to learn in the gen ed setting. This opens the door for you to make a case for the school district to PAY FOR the private school. An advocate or lawyer should give you a free consultation and can give you some idea of what would be involved.

^^^ this seems worth pursuing, especially if it can help with funding for the private school!