View Full Version : ADD meds

jamesvc
06-09-13, 11:09 AM
Hey everyone, I came here to ask a pretty serious question that may concern other people as well.

Well, like most you here, I have trouble focusing, staying awake, etc. So, I am prescribed Adderall XR.

However, I don't see this medication as a long term solution, I am very serious about my health and studies shown that it increases risk of critical cardiovascular problems and strokes over long term use. So, this is pretty serious.

For short term side effects, it's really bad too, loss of appetite, I have little trouble breathing, can't go to the gym on adderall because my heart is going too fast, etc.

So, I think this product is very dangerous for the health of people. I was wondering if there are more natural long term solutions for ADD? What about ancient medicine, there was surely individuals that had ADD before all those ADD meds came out? I am wondering what were their solution.

Fraser_0762
06-09-13, 12:51 PM
Can you please provide links to these studies?

As far as i'm aware, there's been no long term studies done on the effect of stimulants in the long term.

However, I know plenty of people on here who have been taking stimulants for decades and they've had no such problems.

I'm not saying that they don't come with any risks at all. (all medications come with certain risks) But they seem to be very minimal.

Stimulants aren't recommend to anybody who is either stroke prone or has had issues with their heart. Otherwise, they're perfectly ok to use.

kilted_scotsman
06-09-13, 12:51 PM
There are many ways of coping with ADD.....

They divide into two main areas

1) Changing self

2) Changing environment

For best results use a combination of the two.

You are looking at the "changing self" option....

Obviously the main way western culture does this is through conventional pharmaceuticals.....

AS far as ancient medicine is concerned chinese texts do identify an ADDery type personality but i can't remember more than that. However to look for natural ADD remedies in ancient texts is a continuation of the modern western idea that "If I take compound "x" life will be easier.

Eastern texts stress the importance of various methods of mind training.... in conjunction with scrupulous care of the diet...... more complex, continuous and difficult than just popping a daily herbal pill. If you're interested in this stuff try the Taoists.

I haven't found anything to match the western idea of popping a pill twice a day to solve something as deep rooted and multifaceted as ADD.

Remember too that ADD is a comparatively recent issue... in the past it was just a personality type and there wasn't thought given to changing it through anything other than discipline and training.

kilted

PS... Stimulants are contra-indicated for cardiovascular/heart conditions.... so yes they do affect the heart as it will be operating at an artificially increased workrate for decades. One of the few diagnosed Adult ADDers I have met nearly died of a heart attack last year... might be coincidence... but (like the OP) I'm not taking any chances.... it's why I'm not medicated. There are no longitudinal studies of risk from long term stimulant use so we don't actually know they don't cause problems... and probably won't for many many years.

jamesvc
06-09-13, 01:02 PM
Can you please provide links to these studies?

As far as i'm aware, there's been no long term studies done on the effect of stimulants in the long term.

However, I know plenty of people on here who have been taking stimulants for decades and they've had no such problems.

I'm not saying that they don't come with any risks at all. (all medications come with certain risks) But they seem to be very minimal.

Stimulants aren't recommend to anybody who is either stroke prone or has had issues with their heart. Otherwise, they're perfectly ok to use.

Warnings from the Patient Medication Guide for Adderall include serious cardiovascular events, sudden deaths, stroke, emergence of new psychotic or manic symptoms, aggression and blurred vision.

jamesvc
06-09-13, 01:07 PM
There are many ways of coping with ADD.....

They divide into two main areas

1) Changing self

2) Changing environment

For best results use a combination of the two.

You are looking at the "changing self" option....

Obviously the main way western culture does this is through conventional pharmaceuticals.....

AS far as ancient medicine is concerned chinese texts do identify an ADDery type personality but i can't remember more than that. However to look for natural ADD remedies in ancient texts is a continuation of the modern western idea that "If I take compound "x" life will be easier.

Eastern texts stress the importance of various methods of mind training.... in conjunction with scrupulous care of the diet...... more complex, continuous and difficult than just popping a daily herbal pill. If you're interested in this stuff try the Taoists.

I haven't found anything to match the western idea of popping a pill twice a day to solve something as deep rooted and multifaceted as ADD.

Remember too that ADD is a comparatively recent issue... in the past it was just a personality type and there wasn't thought given to changing it through anything other than discipline and training.

kilted

PS... Stimulants are contra-indicated for cardiovascular/heart conditions.... so yes they do affect the heart as it will be operating at an artificially increased workrate for decades. One of the few diagnosed Adult ADDers I have met nearly died of a heart attack last year... might be coincidence... but (like the OP) I'm not taking any chances.... it's why I'm not medicated. There are no longitudinal studies of risk from long term stimulant use so we don't actually know they don't cause problems... and probably won't for many many years.

Interesting. I think there should be way more studies regarding ADD and the meds. I don't know why there is no long term studies about these meds, just shows how we are still low in term of medical science.

What's more hard and frustrating, I am 18 years old, still in high school, I can't study more than 20 minutes a day because I become very tired and bored. I want to become a doctor, but I don't know if it will be even possible with the ADD symptoms I have. It's very hard for me to complete tasks because I always seem to be bored and tired of life. But when I take Adderall, life is so much easier, but the side effects are killing me and does not worth it, so what's left? I'm hopeless atm

kilted_scotsman
06-09-13, 06:45 PM
Long term studies are VERY expensive and complex to set up... the statistics required to extract valid statistically significant results are mindbending.

THere's lots of alternatives to Adderall... you've just got to work through them and synthesise something that'll work for you.... if you find it tough to work to fix yourself then maybe a career as a Dr isn't for you.

kilted

arxonius
07-04-13, 05:14 AM
Hey everyone, I came here to ask a pretty serious question that may concern other people as well.

Well, like most you here, I have trouble focusing, staying awake, etc. So, I am prescribed Adderall XR.

However, I don't see this medication as a long term solution, I am very serious about my health and studies shown that it increases risk of critical cardiovascular problems and strokes over long term use. So, this is pretty serious.

For short term side effects, it's really bad too, loss of appetite, I have little trouble breathing, can't go to the gym on adderall because my heart is going too fast, etc.

So, I think this product is very dangerous for the health of people. I was wondering if there are more natural long term solutions for ADD? What about ancient medicine, there was surely individuals that had ADD before all those ADD meds came out? I am wondering what were their solution.

There were plenty of career options for those people back then. Beggar. Theif. Certainly people back then inadvertently self medicated just like we do now. Im sure for instance in regions where there are stimulants like Coca leaves,those with adhd would fall into a habit of self medication,similarly,if Ephedra grew nearby,someone probably did the same thing. Tea,coffee and tobaco Im sure also were used/abused for the same reasons. Of course,Im sure you see,there is a patter emerging here. Every single one of those has been linked to health problems. I would argue that perhaps coffee and tea are the least harmful,but they all have their problems. The caffeinated drinks,mostly,but not entirely being sodas has damaged my stomach. Tobaco isnt very bad for you,and there are quite a few people that died from misuse of ephedra.

The pattern of course is clear. Any "natural " remedy that is potent enough to help,is really no different than any othr medication and will have side effects.. Usually ,the more potent the punishment,the.