View Full Version : Smokeless Tobacco?! And Update on me.

Twiggy
06-10-13, 11:55 AM
Ok, well don't yell at me for posting this. :eek:
I know the risks. :eyebrow:

You'll first have to know where I'm coming from: Being broke and not having a job, thus not affording doctors visits or meds...even though I have some insurance.

I recently have begun reading about alternatives to ADHD meds, lo and behold: Nicotine. So then I read about the most affordable way to get it in: Dip/Chewing tobacco.

I started dipping/chewing a few days ago. It's pretty good for what it is.

Benefits that I noticed:
- Lowers my anxiety levels greatly
- Helps with memory issues and motivation
- Gives me something to do
- No ups and downs

The bad things:
- Spitting
- Sometimes I get a sore throat from it
- The risks
- Making sure my family doesn't find out (They would go crazy)

TygerSan
06-10-13, 12:06 PM
Can you get the gum/patch, or is that too expensive? You'd have pretty good control over dose with the gum, and it's less likely to come with cancer risk.

There were studies back in the early 2000's that showed some improvement of ADHD symptoms after nicotine exposure. Not sure that later studies have confirmed, but I'm not surprised that it helps with attention!

Twiggy
06-10-13, 12:19 PM
Can you get the gum/patch, or is that too expensive? You'd have pretty good control over dose with the gum, and it's less likely to come with cancer risk.

There were studies back in the early 2000's that showed some improvement of ADHD symptoms after nicotine exposure. Not sure that later studies have confirmed, but I'm not surprised that it helps with attention!

Thanks for the feedback :) The patch/gum is too expensive for me to buy right now.

BUT when I start my summer class at college in a week, I'll ask my health center if they might have resources in helping me obtain gum/patches for a low cost/free somehow.
(I'm on financial aid for college)

salleh
06-10-13, 12:27 PM
twiggy, are you usually a smoker ?

Fraser_0762
06-10-13, 12:27 PM
Nicotine can have a highly stimulating effect. I'm sure I read somewhere that it increases the sensitivity of the brains reward system and increases the duration of Dopamine secretion in the synapse.

I reckon that's why a lot of people on stimulant medication smoke, because it makes it more effective and longer lasting.

Just be aware of the potential cause of addiction. Tobacco is one of the hardest things to quit once you adjust to its effects.

josh989
06-10-13, 12:52 PM
Wouldn't coffee be better? I mean it's cheaper, longer lasting, healthier, and you don't have to hide it from your family. I'm a light smoker (1-2 cigs a day) but only smoke when I'm actually on my meds. If I don't take them I have no craving to smoke and don't even touch my pack. The taste of them while off my meds is actually gross and makes me gag if I inhale too much. Pretty strange lol.

I don't think the health risks are huge if you're a light smoker... but if you're using it to replace your ADD meds i.e chain smoking all day it's probably not too good for you. But either way, smoking is never going to be good for you :P I'm sure dip isn't as bad as smoking but it can't be good for your teeth. Probably still causes cancer, but what doesn't these days?

Twiggy
06-10-13, 02:25 PM
twiggy, are you usually a smoker ?

I've smoked socially in the past (if someone was smoking and offered me a cig, I smoked it), but never was an everyday "smoker".

Comparing dip/chewing to smoking:
- Dip/chewing tobacco is more gradual in effect.
- Smoking is more lightheaded/fuzzy feeling.
- I can smell/taste things ok with smokeless tobacco.
- The thing I hated about smoking was smelling like smoke.

I noticed that dip (the shredded up tobacco in the little round can) is a better choice than the loose leaf tobacco.
- Loose leaf irritates my throat a lot more, dip not so much.
- I prlmarily get Timberwolf or Longhorn brand dip, since it's a little less carcenogenic than other dip brands.

Rebelyell
06-10-13, 10:48 PM
:doh:What are you doing to yourself twiggy?Not to sound like a old nag but dont you have heart problems?Nicotine is bad for your heart n blood vessels not to mention you could get mouth cancer.I cant see a woman doing chew i just cant see it.It makes me sad inside to see and know we do all these bad crazy things to either just try to fit in or just to make it in life n function.Im no different someone will say something insulting to me ill take it on the chin and just want to get wasted.Sad we let society do that to us.

Twiggy
06-13-13, 01:21 AM
Hard to say it, but I think I'm starting to really like dip/chewing tobacco. Kind of too much...
I noticed that I began to chain dip until I felt too buzzed then stopped and then 20 minutes later dipped again. Mostly because I like how it tastes.

I will try to quit and wait until I can get some nicotine gum/patches next week.

Twiggy
06-13-13, 03:23 PM
Today I borrowed some money to buy nicotine gum, since I'd probably get mouth cancer with how much I used dip.

arxonius
07-04-13, 05:00 AM
Ok, well don't yell at me for posting this. :eek:
I know the risks. :eyebrow:

You'll first have to know where I'm coming from: Being broke and not having a job, thus not affording doctors visits or meds...even though I have some insurance.

I recently have begun reading about alternatives to ADHD meds, lo and behold: Nicotine. So then I read about the most affordable way to get it in: Dip/Chewing tobacco.

I started dipping/chewing a few days ago. It's pretty good for what it is.

Benefits that I noticed:
- Lowers my anxiety levels greatly
- Helps with memory issues and motivation
- Gives me something to do
- No ups and downs

The bad things:
- Spitting
- Sometimes I get a sore throat from it
- The risks
- Making sure my family doesn't find out (They would go crazy)

- Throat and mouth cancer
- Stained Teeth
- Bad breath
- Losing teeth
- Heart Disease

Im not saying dont do it. I understand,sometimes you have to do what you have to do to get by in life,but try to keep in mind,it WILL cause some nasty ,permanent side effects. In addition,ADHD makes you less likely to be motivated by things that do not have concrete outcomes and are distant in the future. In other words,if you start using it long enough ,your will have a much harder time than NT people have,because you cant internalize the desire to quit because you MIGHT get cancer in 30 years.

Edit: I just read your post. I would think the gum would definitely be better. I would hesitate to suggest something like the e-cigarette as there is little research available on exactly what the long term effects of inhaling what is essentially vaporized antifreeze into your lungs along with the nicotine. (yes,the propylene glycol they use is the same stuff thats used in non-toxic antifreeze. It wont kill you,but I certainly would not recomend drinking or inhaling it)

Twiggy
07-10-13, 01:42 AM
I still get the psychological cravings to use Smokeless Tobacco: Dip, Chew, Snus.
I allow myself ONE Dip or Snus or Chew every other day. It's not as bad as dipping the whole day for a month like I used to.

Twiggy
07-10-13, 02:35 AM
I just popped in a Camel Snus Frost. It's supposedly safer than dip or chew.

I'm thinking of writing on here whenever I use Smokeless Tobacco in order to track my progress.

Blanched Dubois
07-10-13, 10:17 AM
Ya know the old joke 'Second hand smoke kills.....but not reliably'? Welllllllllllll i quit smoking regular cigarettes a few times in my life. The last time was the easiest and then i had the bowel emergency ( 4 months of it and no diagnoses but 'menopause'??)

Twiggy - if you're not addicted to cigs why bother getting addicted then its a short term reward for a long term habit - if you can live with the possible consequences, so be it but if you can find a healthier option - and can manage it - do that.

I wish I believed that smoking my American Spirits now is 'not bad' but nothing is 'good' or 'bad' unless we abuse it and ourselves and others in the process. Weigh the risks and make your conclusions but don't do it if you are going to be caused more stress because it conflicts with your best judgement.

Guilt is useless. Regrets are much worse and rarely something that can be 'fixed' so you'll have to 'live with it'.

Give this a lot of consideration. I don't know if you can do yoga or find a cheap class or a free one but inverted postures always helped me through a craving. Increased oxygen to the brain helps a lot.

If you decide to smoke or chew or patch - know it's just a short term fix to a long term problem - that's all.

Be good to YOU.

Fuzzy12
07-10-13, 11:07 AM
I can understand where you are coming from twiggy. Before I started smoking again, I tried for a few days chewing nicotine gum hoping that it will help me focus and concentration. Well, now I've actually started smoking again. It did help initially but the effect wears off. But now even the thought of quitting makes me anxious.

I really like the fruit flavoured nicotine gum (by nicorette). It doesn't give me that scratchy sensation in my throat as regular nicotine gum did and actually tastes quite nice. On days that I can't smoke, I somewhat manage with those.

Twiggy
07-10-13, 02:20 PM
I'm getting a slight craving as I drink my morning coffee. As long as I think it's normal to have these cravings the less "bad" I think they are.

Twiggy
07-10-13, 02:53 PM
I took a dip. I haven't dipped in a while, mostly just used Snus.

Restless1
07-10-13, 06:28 PM
Does chocolate help? I think it's theo-bromine that's in chocolate that connects to the same pleasure centres as heroin attaches to. A safer option perhaps?!