View Full Version : My very amateur piano playing

fracturedstory
06-11-13, 06:06 AM
I posted this on Facebook but I didn't get much of a reply...probably got lost in all those cat memes...

Anyway, I like playing the electric piano. I'm not sure how good I am as I don't even know what notes I'm hitting. I tried to learn them but forgot. Darn this ADHD brain of mine.

Anyway, thought I'd post it here. Be gentle with your criticism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsVKX1Hakao&feature=share

Playing music really helps ease my depression.

dvdnvwls
06-11-13, 11:40 AM
Nice. Very much a depression-easing kind of improvisation. A lot of people don't know how to reply to a video like this, because when it's not a "song" with a structure they don't get why you're doing it. I totally get it - it's like your thoughts are floating and so is the music and you're just letting it happen.

This kind of playing is really relaxing and to do, but it's less relaxing to listen to - it's a style you normally play "for yourself, to yourself".

Thanks for sharing it.

Good dictionary you've got there too. :)

Drewbacca
06-11-13, 12:19 PM
Music memory is different... don't try to "name" the notes, just find what feels/sounds good. Your body will remember.

The other thing to remember is that there are only 12 notes, after that, they repeat. The trick is learning which ones go together and that can be a visual thing or an audible thing whether you know the names of the notes or not.

Thanks for sharing, it's not easy to put oneself out there.

Lunacie
06-11-13, 12:24 PM
That is so much better than I can do on a keyboard. I don't understand why
I can use two hands typing but not playing music. Anyway, I thought it was
very expressive. :)

Fraser_0762
06-11-13, 12:31 PM
That is so much better than I can do on a keyboard. I don't understand why
I can use two hands typing but not playing music. Anyway, I thought it was
very expressive. :)

I'm the same.

I'm great at playing the keyboard with one hand. But I just can't grasp it with both hands.

It's like trying to multitask.

fracturedstory
06-11-13, 09:39 PM
I'm the same.

I'm great at playing the keyboard with one hand. But I just can't grasp it with both hands.

It's like trying to multitask.

I was like that with the half notes. It really is like multitasking. My sister is like 'why aren't you hitting the half notes?' And I'm trying to tell her I can't multitask and that I'm kind of dyspraxic.

I'm practicing on the acoustic guitar too and when I watch people play I just don't know how they do it.

Each time I play I'm getting a little bit better. I once had this tune (out of nowhere) that I kept repeating and it was the only thing I could play but you can barely hear it in the video.

My sister keeps telling me to sing words but the music is words in itself. I just can't hear them properly. Anyway, lyrics are precious. You can't just sing words out of nowhere. Most of the songs I make up are folky or even punk rock so it's hard to come up with softer slower versions.

I'm trying to assign the notes colours because that makes my playing a bit better. Each corresponding note/colour has to feel right. It's a synesthesia thing. I can do it on guitar but it's harder on piano.

Now I'm just trying to play songs that happen to be in my head. Sometimes I just listen to songs and try to add in piano parts.

Thanks for the nice words guys. I know I'm not horrible. I've just always been scared of trying to play a musical instrument because everyone else in my family had talent.

Also, I can't type with two hands. OK maybe I can but I can't look at the screen and type at the same time.

BellaVita
06-11-13, 10:07 PM
Really liked it...would love to see more. :)

Made me relaxed.

dvdnvwls
06-12-13, 01:59 AM
fracturedstory: I agree with you that the style of music you're playing on this video can't and shouldn't have words. You could do some other music another time that's meant to have words, but don't ruin this one by sticking in words where they don't belong.

If you have any trouble with two-handed playing, keeping one of the hands simple and repetitive makes it easier. If you can memorize the easy hand and put it on "auto-pilot", then you don't have to multitask much. (Playing a complicated melody in one hand and another different complicated melody in the other hand is much harder.)

SquarePeg
06-12-13, 03:08 AM
wow, I don´t know what´s wrong with me but I am actually crying listening to this, it´s like all of your struggles are washing over me.

I posted a while back that I find it difficult to see live bands or see live art, it makes me feel overwhelmed.

dvdnvwls
06-12-13, 03:51 AM
fracturedstory: If you haven't heard it, you need to find a copy of an old recording by Keith Jarrett called The Köln Concert. A bigger more adventurous version of what you're doing, by a fine jazz player. I'm not telling you to play like him, just telling you you might like his record.

fracturedstory
06-12-13, 04:13 AM
Really liked it...would love to see more. :)

Made me relaxed.

I almost broke my computer by uploading all the videos, but I will try a bit later and just take one or two short videos. My computer doesn't like 14 minute HD videos. I could also possibly change the settings in my camera.

mrzyphl
06-15-13, 05:08 PM
That reminded me of Chopin which reminded me of one of the songs I wrote.

<script type="text/javascript">(function() { var po = document.createElement("script"); po.type = "text/javascript"; po.async = true; po.src = "http://d15mj6e6qmt1na.cloudfront.net/assets/embed.js"; var s = document.getElementsByTagName("script")[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(po, s); })();***********
<script type="text/javascript">(function() { var po = document.createElement("script"); po.type = "text/javascript"; po.async = true; po.src = "http://d15mj6e6qmt1na.cloudfront.net/assets/embed.js"; var s = document.getElementsByTagName("script")[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(po, s); })();********************************************