View Full Version : "What is Emotional Intelligence?"

mildadhd
06-13-13, 12:50 PM
This thread is meant for members who are interested in discussing and learning about:

ADD and Emotional Intelligence: Examining emotional intelligence and neurological disorders.

I am only beginning to learn what emotional intelligence is.

As a layman,

I found this link information and layout, a extremely helpful start.

(I am not specifically familiar with Plato, the link's author, history, or references)

Opinions Appreciated

http://psychology.about.com/od/personalitydevelopment/a/emotionalintell.htm

"All learning has an emotional base."
-- Plato

What is Emotional Intelligence?

Emotional intelligence (EI) refers to the ability to perceive, control and evaluate emotions. Some researchers suggest that emotional intelligence can be learned and strengthened, while others claim it is an inborn characteristic.

Since 1990, Peter Salovey and John D. Mayer have been the leading researchers on emotional intelligence. In their influential article "Emotional Intelligence," they defined emotional intelligence as, "the subset of social intelligence that involves the ability to monitor one's own and others' feelings and emotions, to discriminate among them and to use this information to guide one's thinking and actions" (1990).

The Four Branches of Emotional Intelligence

Salovey and Mayer proposed a model that identified four different factors of emotional intelligence: the perception of emotion, the ability reason using emotions, the ability to understand emotion and the ability to manage emotions.

Perceiving Emotions: The first step in understanding emotions is to accurately perceive them. In many cases, this might involve understanding nonverbal signals such as body language and facial expressions.

Reasoning With Emotions: The next step involves using emotions to promote thinking and cognitive activity. Emotions help prioritize what we pay attention and react to; we respond emotionally to things that garner our attention.

Understanding Emotions: The emotions that we perceive can carry a wide variety of meanings. If someone is expressing angry emotions, the observer must interpret the cause of their anger and what it might mean. For example, if your boss is acting angry, it might mean that he is dissatisfied with your work; or it could be because he got a speeding ticket on his way to work that morning or that he's been fighting with his wife.

Managing Emotions: The ability to manage emotions effectively is a key part of emotional intelligence. Regulating emotions, responding appropriately and responding to the emotions of others are all important aspect of emotional management.
According to Salovey and Mayer, the four branches of their model are, "arranged from more basic psychological processes to higher, more psychologically integrated processes. For example, the lowest level branch concerns the (relatively) simple abilities of perceiving and expressing emotion. In contrast, the highest level branch concerns the conscious, reflective regulation of emotion" (1997).

A Brief History of Emotional Intelligence

1930s – Edward Thorndike describes the concept of "social intelligence" as the ability to get along with other people.

1940s – David Wechsler suggests that affective components of intelligence may be essential to success in life.

1950s – Humanistic psychologists such as Abraham Maslow describe how people can build emotional strength.

1975 - Howard Gardner publishes The Shattered Mind, which introduces the concept of multiple intelligences.

1985 - Wayne Payne introduces the term emotional intelligence in his doctoral dissertation entitled "A study of emotion: developing emotional intelligence; self-integration; relating to fear, pain and desire (theory, structure of reality, problem-solving, contraction/expansion, tuning in/coming out/letting go)."

1987 – In an article published in Mensa Magazine, Keith Beasley uses the term "emotional quotient." It has been suggested that this is the first published use of the term, although Reuven Bar-On claims to have used the term in an unpublished version of his graduate thesis.

1990 – Psychologists Peter Salovey and John Mayer publish their landmark article, "Emotional Intelligence," in the journal Imagination, Cognition, and Personality.

1995 - The concept of emotional intelligence is popularized after publication of psychologist and New York Times science writer Daniel Goleman’s book Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ.
Measuring Emotional Intelligence

"In regard to measuring emotional intelligence – I am a great believer that criterion-report (that is, ability testing) is the only adequate method to employ. Intelligence is an ability, and is directly measured only by having people answer questions and evaluating the correctness of those answers." --John D. Mayer

Reuven Bar-On's EQ-i
A self-report test designed to measure competencies including awareness, stress tolerance, problem solving, and happiness. According to Bar-On, “Emotional intelligence is an array of noncognitive capabilities, competencies, and skills that influence one’s ability to succeed in coping with environmental demands and pressures.”

Multifactor Emotional Intelligence Scale (MEIS)
An ability-based test in which test-takers perform tasks designed to assess their ability to perceive, identify, understand, and utilize emotions.

Seligman Attributional Style Questionnaire (SASQ)
Originally designed as a screening test for the life insurance company Metropolitan Life, the SASQ measures optimism and pessimism.

Emotional Competence Inventory (ECI)
Based on an older instrument known as the Self-Assessment Questionnaire, the ECI involves having people who know the individual offer ratings of that person’s abilities on a number of different emotional competencies.

References:

Beasley, K. (1987) "The Emotional Quotient." Mensa Magazine - United Kingdom Edition

Gardner, H. (1975) The Shattered Mind, New York: Knopf.

Goleman, D. (1995). Emotional intelligence. New York: Bantam.

Hein, S. "Emotional Intelligence." Found online at http://eqi.org/.

Mayer, J. D., Salovey, P., & Caruso, D. R. (2000). Models of emotional intelligence. In R. J. Sternberg (Ed.). Handbook of Intelligence (pp. 396-420). Cambridge, England: Cambridge University Press.

Payne, W.L. (1985). A study of emotion: developing emotional intelligence; self-integration; relating to fear, pain and desire (theory, structure of reality, problem-solving, contraction/expansion, tuning in/comingout/letting go). A Doctoral Dissertation. Cincinnati, OH: The Union For Experimenting Colleges And Universities

Salovey, P., & Mayer, J. (1990). Emotional intelligence. Imagination, cognition, and personality, 9(3), 185-211.

Thorndike, R. L., & Stein, S. (1937). An evaluation of the attempts to measure social intelligence. Psychological Bulletin, 34, 275-284.

Wechsler, D. (1940). Nonintellective factors in general intelligence. Psychological Bulletin, 37, 444-445.

SB_UK
06-13-13, 03:05 PM
The human mind is supposed to be a
[1] logical model <- standard intelligence ('systematizing'/geek character)
of
[2] what's best for people <- emotional intelligence ('empathizing')

True intelligence is a mind which incorporates the two - a logical, rational mind which encodes what's best for the species
- we live in a world where the systematizing mind (which tends towards psychopathy) dominates - and this imbalance destroys our collective environment.

SB_UK
06-13-13, 03:07 PM
A logical model of what's best for ths species as described by the wonderful Noam Chomsky is 'anarchy' == true equality without a thick word-playing deal-brokering ruling 'elite'.

What a lot of nonsense they speak.

We need a global village without social hierarchy.

SB_UK
06-13-13, 03:23 PM
So emotional intelligence 'd be this 'uhhhhh!' feeling of pain when we hear that the unemployed are going to have their benefits cut, or bankers are going to get another bonus, or the 'usual' political leader is going to bomb his people, or we see a nationalist group fighting against a religious group ... ...

The trick is to sense the feeling of pain - translate it into words and incorporate it into one's world view.

That'd be the 'shaping' of an individual's mind by emotional (morality) intelligence.

Ultimately - it's all stressful (leads to the 'uhhhhh!' feeling) in a societal infrastructure of money/law - these 2 key infrastructural components keep us locked in a cell playing the 'fabricated' game of being 'good' citizens to pay the mortgage (hundreds of thousands of pounds) for a bit of clay and wood.

You're in prison for the whole of your working life for clay, wood and sand which shouldn't cost any more that a few quid.

Why on earth are people so docile ?

Ahhh! That's because they kinda' like to see their house prices increase.

No such thing as free money - your kids will have to pay the price for your greed.

Everything about money is bogus - and people'd better wake up and quickly - because there's an imminent collapse in money about to occur because of the ageing population demographic.

Exaggerating - how on Earth are you gonna' get economic growth if you've 10 billion pensioners and 1 wage earner ??

http://www.jillstanek.com/Japan%27s%20population%20pyramid.gif

/\ economics works|| economics falters [we're here now]\/economics fails precipitously

mildadhd
06-13-13, 03:33 PM
Emotional intelligence (EI) refers to the ability to perceive, control and evaluate emotions.

Does a lack of perception + lack of control + lack of evaluating emotions = ADD?

SB_UK
06-14-13, 01:44 AM
Emotional intelligence (EI) refers to the ability to perceive, control and evaluate emotions.
oooops!
The trick is to sense the feeling of pain - translate it into words and incorporate it into one's world view.
That comment is meant to mean:
"Emotional intelligence (EI) refers to the ability to perceive and evaluate emotions."

Now 'control emotions' - I don't control emotions - they control me.

SB_UK
06-14-13, 01:49 AM
Does a lack of perception + lack of control + lack of evaluating emotions = ADD?

So - not lack perception and not lack of evaluation - but a lack of control ... ... where the capacity to control emotions isn't a positive characteristic.

By that - I mean that if we're deflated from the latest news on economic collapse around the world - then it's not good to be able to push our negative mood to the back of one's mind - it's important that we actually **do** something about it - which, is prevented by the capacity to contol emotions.

So - maybe we're unable to 'control' emotions - but that's a good thing - at least from the prime directive of mind (morality) - we're compelled towards morality - because we can't bury our heads in the sand and deflect our mind from emotional disruption at exposure to immoral dealings.

mildadhd
06-28-13, 10:12 AM
So - not lack perception and not lack of evaluation - but a lack of control ...

What about..(at birth),

hypersensitive emotional perception----->hypersensitive emotional evaluation----->hypersensitive emotional control ?

i!i

DcGonzo
06-28-13, 10:15 AM
What is Emotional Intelligence?

An oxymoron?

mildadhd
06-28-13, 10:19 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUQu-OPrzUc

( approx 14:41)..when things provoke you and upset you,

if you have ADHD your emotions are up and out and the damage is done before you had a chance to get any traction,

over moderating this, and bringing your emotions to be more consistent with the situation, and with your long term welfare.

So we are now realizing, and many papers have been written are making this case,

that ADHD is just as much a problem of impulsive emotion,

as it is with impulsive behavior, impulsive cognition and impulsive speech.

And it explains a lot about these individuals, not the least of which is of course their social difficulties.

But it is also one of the best predictors of their driving problems, their finacial problems,

their marital problems, their child rearing problems, and it is one of the main reasons,

why they will be fired from a job four times more often than other people are likely to do.

You don't get fired because your distractable, but you will get fired,

if you are angry with a customer and if you blow up and are impatient and easily frustrated,

so this is a domain of ADHD that is often under appreciated,

but is now being put back into our models and theories and explanations of the disorder.( approx. 15:50)

-Dr.Russell Barkley

"ADHD is just as much a disorder of emotion" (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1429336#post1429336)

mildadhd
06-28-13, 10:47 AM
What is Emotional Intelligence? (-Peripheral)

An oxymoron? ( -Dr.Gonzo)

What is emotional regulation? :D

i!i

DcGonzo
06-28-13, 11:06 AM
Emotional regulation = Emotional repression?

namazu
06-28-13, 11:32 AM
Emotional regulation = Emotional repression?
In the short term, kinda yes.

Emotional dysregulation vs. emotional regulation would be the difference between:
- sobbing uncontrollably in a meeting at work due to a major setback vs. crying and/or venting later (privately or with a friend or in the bathroom)
- punching someone's lights out for being a first-class jerk or channeling your anger into a scathing letter or verbal dressing-down or lawsuit or punching a pillow (depending on the situation...)
- jumping at the chance to do something fun now instead of delaying gratification and using the promise or reward to motivate yourself

So in that sense, regulating is sometimes quite like repressing, or at least deferring the public expression of emotions in order to serve long-term interests (like not getting branded "unstable" at work, not getting thrown in jail for assault, an achieving important life goals).

Emotional inhibition -- like, dysregulation in the other direction (really holding stuff in and never letting it out, which is not associated with ADHD) -- doesn't seem too great, either.

But ADHDers are less able than the general population to use discretion in responding and adjust their emotional expression based on context.

This is one of the parts of ADHD that can be a double-edged sword.

Spontaneity and joie-de-vivre or impulsive irresponsibility and a lack of priorities?

Speaking truth to power or shouting into the wind?

Some of it's a matter of perception -- maybe one person's "unstable hysteric" is another's "sensitive do-gooder".

Maybe an uppercut really is warranted in some situations.

I do think there are some times where ADHDers may be captured (in a positive way) by a muse or emotional reaction of some sort and run with it (which can produce great things, or bad consequences, or both).

So I don't believe that lack of emotional control is inherently an unmitigated good, nor is it exclusively a detriment.

As SB suggests, a person who cannot look away from or ignore the visceral uneasiness produced by wrongs in the world may be compelled to work towards righting them.

On the other hand, depending on the individual and their circumstances and ability to channel strong emotions into productive action -- a person who cannot suppress their visceral sense of repulsion and indignation to injustices in the world may instead end up despondent and hopeless and existentially adrift and withdrawn and curled up into a ball, or angry in unproductive/excessively violent ways that may not achieve the desired ends. Or some combination.

So I'm not sure it's as simple as

emotional regulation/suppression = inaction on matters of overwhelming importance

vs.

emotional dysregulation = action on matters of overwhelming importance

but sometimes it may be the difference between

productive/effective/well-chosen/well-timed action on matters of overwhelming importance (or at least immediate emotional triggers) and targeting a vitally-important message to an audience in a way that will produce a desired reaction

vs.

counterproductive/ineffective/poorly-timed action that may not achieve the desired results on matters of overwhelming importance (or at least immediate emotional triggers) and failing to get a message across in a way that will produce a desired reaction.

I don't think it's as binary/dichotomous as ^^that^^, either... Certainly some ADHDers do fight passionately and effectively for eminently worthwhile causes, and the world is a better place as a result.

But I don't necessarily agree that ADHD inherently imbues people with a stronger moral compass or an inability to look past societal injustices purely as a result of lack of emotional repression.

Instead, I think that for people with a strong moral compass, ADHD may lead to an irrepressible need to act on those convictions, though not necessarily (but also not precluding) as effectively as they might if they had not only a strong moral compass, but also the ability to more effectively control how and when they fight their battles. I don't believe that people with greater self-control necessarily are more prone to ignore injustice, just more able to choose how to respond and compartmentalize at least to the extent that they can work for good causes without sacrificing their own health/sanity/livelihood/etc.

Again, I think it depends a lot on the individual and their circumstances and what exactly their irrepressible impulses are, and in response to what quantity and range of stimuli.

In spite of what I (ever so humbly!) believe to be a solid sense of right and wrong and desire to improve the lot of the downtrodden and the quality of life for everyone in the world, sometimes I stumble in my efforts precisely because I experience emotional responses to peripheral* things that distract me from, and interfere, with my overarching goals.

*Errr...not you, Peripheral!

MellyFishButt
06-28-13, 12:00 PM
My employer is HUGE about emo comp and it is often a buzz word dropped when discussing someone's unfavorable behavior at work. As in 'when dealing with conflict you must have emo comp' or 'she so does not have emo comp - how did she get a leadership role?'.

I do not have it. As someone with ADHD, if I am unmediated (or simply opinionated about a topic) I simply don't have that pause button before responding. I've tried, I really have. That said, sometimes my lack of consistent emo comp has allowed me to work really great leading small groups because my 'passion' can affect others. That is the only benefit of not having it, in my case. Otherwise, I really have no idea why I am a leader. It is expected for me to be incredibly calm during leadership whereas I am usually spazzing. *shrug*

Whatevs. At least I am a 'fun' leader, right?

*crickets*

DcGonzo
06-29-13, 09:36 AM
emo comp = emotional competence?

Namazu in general you cannot be successful in your goals and have a strong moral compass whilst in an immorally motivated environment, you will inevitably be compromising one way or the other...

namazu
06-29-13, 11:48 AM
Namazu in general you cannot be successful in your goals and have a strong moral compass whilst in an immorally motivated environment, you will inevitably be compromising one way or the other...
Sure...but I thought we were talking about acting on strong emotional/moral feelings.

If the environment were perfectly morally-upright, there would be no injustices or inequities to be irrepressibly indignant about, right?!

Are you referring to the idea that tailoring a message to an audience whose values you abhor, or working within a system to change it, means that one necessarily has to adopt some of the conventions or approaches of that audience or system? If so, that seems like a fair enough argument.

But I don't necessarily see that as a moral compromise, unless one has to pretend to (or actually) contribute to the workings of the icky institution in order to remain in its good graces.

We might disagree about what constitutes contributing to an immoral environment, though, or what constitutes compromise, and to what extent worthwhile ends justify less-than-ideally palatable means, and to what extent "pure" means contribute to worthwhile ends.

But I guess that's neither here nor there in terms of emotional intelligence.

I wonder if the stereotypical "charming psychopath" or other manipulative ndividuals who can turn on and off emotions (or at least emotional displays, possibly feigned?) at will would score high on EQ tests?

On the one hand, they would seem to have excellent ability to wield emotions to influence their audiences, which would seem to entail both good control over their own outward displays of emotion, and also an ability to understand/predict how their audience will react to their words, body language, and behavior (which would indicate the presence of strengths in some aspects of theory of mind).

On the other hand, it would seem that these individuals are often seriously dysregulated in other ways, and that these individuals, too, can get caught up in or feel compelled to act on impulses that others might suppress. And some people may be both manipulative for the sake of achieving their own (not necessarily "moral" or "good") ends *but who also lack empathy* in the sense that they cannot "feel" the emotions of others and do not care, even if they can label and predict the emotions the other person is likely to experience, which suggests that a different component of theory of mind may also be missing or reduced. So I'm not sure where that would put their "emotional intelligence".

But most people with ADHD are not psychopaths, nor pathologically-manipulative.

However, I think there is a danger that inability to control emotional displays -- especially those that typically reflect "internalizing" behaviors -- for example, crying in public, may be harmfully mislabeled as "manipulative" behavior, when in fact it it is the opposite: instead of controlling their emotions to achieve a specific effect, some people actually lack the ability conceal their emotional states from others and would be mortified at the thought that someone might believe they were trying to play some emotional game...

What was the question, again? :o

mildadhd
06-29-13, 01:19 PM
..dysregulation in the other direction (really holding stuff in and never letting it out, which is not associated with ADHD) -- doesn't seem too great, either. -Namazu

Thanks everyone so far for the great discussion.

I have always wondered if "dysregulated in the other direction", is what is referred to as "internalized hyperactivity."

Aka ADD, apposed to ADHD.

Over repressed emotions<-------Homeostasis------->Over expressed emotions.

(I was diagnosed ADD but depending on multiple circumstances, I can also be very hyper)

Like there is always 2 or more ways to reply,

there is always 2 or more ways to respond to individual perception,

there is always 2 or more ways to develop?

Lack of development of self control of the implicit emotional self regulation, preceeds a lack of explicit emotional self regulation.

If I understand correctly, development of implicit (autonomic) emotional self regulation develops largely in early infancy (slowing dramatically by the age 4).

Lack of Emotional Self Control being largely subconscious doesn't help either,

example drivers don't consciously plan to "Road Rage".

(sneaks up on those with less self regulation for what ever reason, while those with "more" self regulation have better emotional control in similar stressful circumstances)

(Interesting to think that an adults tendency to loose emotional self control and "road rage",

may be partly be due to developmental experiences before the age of 4)

Lots to discuss, I need to reread, "Scattered" by Mate, specifically about implicit/explicit emotional brain function,

and emotional competence.

Thanks

i!i

daveddd
06-29-13, 01:41 PM
In the short term, kinda yes.

Emotional dysregulation vs. emotional regulation would be the difference between:
- sobbing uncontrollably in a meeting at work due to a major setback vs. crying and/or venting later (privately or with a friend or in the bathroom)
- punching someone's lights out for being a first-class jerk or channeling your anger into a scathing letter or verbal dressing-down or lawsuit or punching a pillow (depending on the situation...)
- jumping at the chance to do something fun now instead of delaying gratification and using the promise or reward to motivate yourself

So in that sense, regulating is sometimes quite like repressing, or at least deferring the public expression of emotions in order to serve long-term interests (like not getting branded "unstable" at work, not getting thrown in jail for assault, an achieving important life goals).

Emotional inhibition -- like, dysregulation in the other direction (really holding stuff in and never letting it out, which is not associated with ADHD) -- doesn't seem too great, either.

But ADHDers are less able than the general population to use discretion in responding and adjust their emotional expression based on context.

This is one of the parts of ADHD that can be a double-edged sword.

Spontaneity and joie-de-vivre or impulsive irresponsibility and a lack of priorities?

Speaking truth to power or shouting into the wind?

Some of it's a matter of perception -- maybe one person's "unstable hysteric" is another's "sensitive do-gooder".

Maybe an uppercut really is warranted in some situations.

I do think there are some times where ADHDers may be captured (in a positive way) by a muse or emotional reaction of some sort and run with it (which can produce great things, or bad consequences, or both).

So I don't believe that lack of emotional control is inherently an unmitigated good, nor is it exclusively a detriment.

As SB suggests, a person who cannot look away from or ignore the visceral uneasiness produced by wrongs in the world may be compelled to work towards righting them.

On the other hand, depending on the individual and their circumstances and ability to channel strong emotions into productive action -- a person who cannot suppress their visceral sense of repulsion and indignation to injustices in the world may instead end up despondent and hopeless and existentially adrift and withdrawn and curled up into a ball, or angry in unproductive/excessively violent ways that may not achieve the desired ends. Or some combination.

So I'm not sure it's as simple as

emotional regulation/suppression = inaction on matters of overwhelming importance

vs.

emotional dysregulation = action on matters of overwhelming importance

but sometimes it may be the difference between

productive/effective/well-chosen/well-timed action on matters of overwhelming importance (or at least immediate emotional triggers) and targeting a vitally-important message to an audience in a way that will produce a desired reaction

vs.

counterproductive/ineffective/poorly-timed action that may not achieve the desired results on matters of overwhelming importance (or at least immediate emotional triggers) and failing to get a message across in a way that will produce a desired reaction.

I don't think it's as binary/dichotomous as ^^that^^, either... Certainly some ADHDers do fight passionately and effectively for eminently worthwhile causes, and the world is a better place as a result.

But I don't necessarily agree that ADHD inherently imbues people with a stronger moral compass or an inability to look past societal injustices purely as a result of lack of emotional repression.

Instead, I think that for people with a strong moral compass, ADHD may lead to an irrepressible need to act on those convictions, though not necessarily (but also not precluding) as effectively as they might if they had not only a strong moral compass, but also the ability to more effectively control how and when they fight their battles. I don't believe that people with greater self-control necessarily are more prone to ignore injustice, just more able to choose how to respond and compartmentalize at least to the extent that they can work for good causes without sacrificing their own health/sanity/livelihood/etc.

Again, I think it depends a lot on the individual and their circumstances and what exactly their irrepressible impulses are, and in response to what quantity and range of stimuli.

In spite of what I (ever so humbly!) believe to be a solid sense of right and wrong and desire to improve the lot of the downtrodden and the quality of life for everyone in the world, sometimes I stumble in my efforts precisely because I experience emotional responses to peripheral* things that distract me from, and interfere, with my overarching goals.

*Errr...not you, Peripheral!

good post, the only thing i question is emotional inhibition not being related to ADHD

i was under the impression that the ability to self regulate or resolve emotional arousal in some can be overwhelming enough to force experiential avoidance (alexthymia etc)

which leads to the 50% or so of ADHDc cases meeting the criteria for alexthymia and social anxiety (the emotional expressive type)

which in turns leads to more impulsive self destructive dysfunctional behavior and actual a worse psychological outcome

?

namazu
06-29-13, 03:58 PM
good post, the only thing i question is emotional inhibition not being related to ADHD

i was under the impression that the ability to self regulate or resolve emotional arousal in some can be overwhelming enough to force experiential avoidance (alexthymia etc)

which leads to the 50% or so of ADHDc cases meeting the criteria for alexthymia and social anxiety (the emotional expressive type)

which in turns leads to more impulsive self destructive dysfunctional behavior and actual a worse psychological outcome

?
Yeah, that's a really good question.

I tend to think of inhibition, at least behavioral inhibition, as being associated more with anxiety (sometimes -- can also be impulsive/reactive responding) and maybe some other conditions than with ADHD.

But if that anxiety is at least partly a result of a history of getting into trouble and getting chewed out/yelled at/shunned/or worse at home/school/work/socially as a result of ADHD-related impulsivity and failure and inconsistency, then I'd be hard-pressed to say the inhibition wasn't also a result, in part, of the ADHD. So I might agree with you there, daveddd.

daveddd
06-29-13, 06:38 PM
Yeah, that's a really good question.

I tend to think of inhibition, at least behavioral inhibition, as being associated more with anxiety (sometimes -- can also be impulsive/reactive responding) and maybe some other conditions than with ADHD.

But if that anxiety is at least partly a result of a history of getting into trouble and getting chewed out/yelled at/shunned/or worse at home/school/work/socially as a result of ADHD-related impulsivity and failure and inconsistency, then I'd be hard-pressed to say the inhibition wasn't also a result, in part, of the ADHD. So I might agree with you there, daveddd.

thats part of it

but the numbers wouldnt be as high if that was the only part

the actual experience of emotional over arousal and environmental sensitivities (ADHD)can be overwhelming enough on their own to cause avoidance of them

or 'hyperactivation of the amygdala'

DcGonzo
06-29-13, 08:36 PM
Impulsivity brought on by anxiety... Anxiety = Stress

Neurodiversity -> Varying stress levels/sensitivities.

There are cases where sensitivity is not appropriate as Namazu highlighted, but this sensitivity becomes more self destructive the more it is repressed.

This would become significantly more complex when it comes to compensating against or acting on sensitivities/emotions.

In this environment the sensitive become "disordered", the insensitive sociopath becomes president/CEO etc.

I should probably not be posting under the influence now there are so many trains of thought going on here, anyway I think my point is the line for what is dysregulation or regulation is a blurry one, but that consideration would not be an issue in the right environment, for example my guess is every single genocidal homicidal narcissistic psychopath who ever lived was over compensating in some way for their emotional sensitivities. Basically humans are driven by emotions (neurotransmitters), healthy society, healthy emotional development, healthy humans, in a mind that is nurtured and not repressed and abused I see no reason for "dysregulation" to exist.

Blanched Dubois
06-29-13, 09:28 PM
A logical model of what's best for ths species as described by the wonderful Noam Chomsky is 'anarchy' == true equality without a thick word-playing deal-brokering ruling 'elite'.

What a lot of nonsense they speak.

We need a global village without social hierarchy.

There are folks successfully and for quite some time living the example - Findhorn in Scotland ? Eileen and Peter Caddy...many native americans i know and it's not 'scientific' heh. It defies science which to me is brilliant. :D

Floredemayo started her 'seed temple' collecting GMO FREE seeds and protecting them - classifying them - and keeping their integrity from becoming extinct.

Marshal 'Golden Eagle' Jack and www.waterwheelceremony.com

All of this involves the use of emotions ( irrational ) and mind/body ( programmable computer/machine/ego) all fascinating - intelligence is consciousness and the 'final frontier' imo.

daveddd
06-30-13, 07:49 AM
http://books.google.com/books?id=llw470lSDAcC&pg=PA325&dq=adhd+emotional+avoidance&hl=en&sa=X&ei=vRfQUZSVIpLD0AGwnoGgBg&ved=0CEMQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=adhd%20emotional%20avoidance&f=false

i little help for me explaining what i meant, since i communicate like a baboon, also since a page down mentions ADHD and stress

and i thought the neuroplasticity mention below that was also interesting

daveddd
06-30-13, 02:48 PM
btw peri when i mention alexthymia it isnt separate from the construct of ADHD that you seem to be on board with

in fact it may be the most important piece of it

the thread title is what is emotional intelligence, well im not sure

but i know what its not, ive read this book about 5 times and it does a good job of describing what would be "emotionally dumb"
http://books.google.com/books?id=1wUx7kFB8AwC&printsec=frontcover&dq=emotionally+dumb&hl=en&sa=X&ei=XX3QUaGILaWz0QG804HQDg&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAA

mildadhd
07-09-13, 11:50 PM
btw peri when i mention alexthymia it isnt separate from the construct of ADHD that you seem to be on board with

in fact it may be the most important piece of it

the thread title is what is emotional intelligence, well im not sure

but i know what its not, ive read this book about 5 times and it does a good job of describing what would be "emotionally dumb"
http://books.google.com/books?id=1wUx7kFB8AwC&printsec=frontcover&dq=emotionally+dumb&hl=en&sa=X&ei=XX3QUaGILaWz0QG804HQDg&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAA

Daveddd,

I am interested in learning more about the biology of alexthymia.

I don't know enough to comment specifically about the term alexthymia.

What is alexthymia and what is not alexthymia, etc..

I find the topics so much easier to understand from affective neuroscience perspective.

from the biology of the psychology.

I remember you introducing alexthymia in the past and am interested in comparing information in the future.

Thanks