View Full Version : Does anybody have experience fighting short term disability denials?

MellyFishButt
06-13-13, 04:27 PM
Just found out I was denied. My diagnoses were severe depression, panic disorder, GAD and ADHD and I submitted about having a severe panic episode. My pdoc did everything they asked including a call with their physician. They said there wasn't enough medical evidence. I can access my file online and there is a ton!!

Not sure how to appeal and would love some advice. Thanks! :)

MellyFishButt
06-14-13, 03:35 AM
None?

Raye
06-16-13, 10:01 AM
In your denial letter, it should state the steps on how to appeal/file a hearing.

MellyFishButt
06-16-13, 02:58 PM
The case manager basically said that my pdoc needs to write an actual letter. Unfortunately he is out of the country for the time being so I am trying to figure out what I can do in the interim.

Sandy4957
06-16-13, 08:44 PM
Hire a lawyer.

That's not just because I generally believe that we lawyers have something useful to offer the world. It is also because, when I was in your shoes, I struggled along trying to act as my own lawyer (which means I have a fool for a client) and discovered that, "Hey, here's a concept, OTHER PEOPLE WHO DO THIS FOR A LIVING ARE BETTER AT IT THAN ME...." :eek::D;):o

MellyFishButt
07-08-13, 08:44 PM
Hire a lawyer.

That's not just because I generally believe that we lawyers have something useful to offer the world. It is also because, when I was in your shoes, I struggled along trying to act as my own lawyer (which means I have a fool for a client) and discovered that, "Hey, here's a concept, OTHER PEOPLE WHO DO THIS FOR A LIVING ARE BETTER AT IT THAN ME...." :eek::D;):o

I can't even seem to get my medical records by the appeal deadline. And we called and asked for an extension an employment lawyers (free) advice and the case manager said that she can't give an extension until we turn in the appeal paperwork. It's a total catch 22 and I am going crazy.

Sandy4957
07-08-13, 09:21 PM
Short term disability is crazy because all the turnaround times are as short as the benefits period. Submit whatever you can and hope for the best. The real deal is in the long-term benefits.

And when it comes to that, I really can't offer any better advice than to hire a professional to help you through that process...