View Full Version : Lorazepam vs. Pregabalin vs. Gabapentin

calcal
06-14-13, 02:24 PM
Hi,
I'd like to hear experiences from people who have taken these meds.

Pregabalin is supposed to help good against anxiety and not cause addiction.
But it also has a long list of side effects and I read that it dumbs you down!
This is not good.

How about Gabapentin? Does it also dumb you down?
And how is Gabapetin compared to Pregabalin when it comes to fighting anxiety?

And how do Gabapentin & Pregabalin compare to a benzo like Lorazepam?
If I take 1mg Lorazepam then would the anti-anxiety effect be stronger, weaker or equal to Gabapetin / Pregabalin?
I have taken 1mg Lorazepam at times so I know this feeling a bit. I just wonder if you take Gabapetin / Pregabalin daily then do you have this feeling all the time and nothing scares you anymore?
Or do you still become scared only less scared?

I'd rather take Lorazepam against anxiety cause I know it and for me it has no side effects but my doc told me not more than 2-3 times a week cause it can cause addiction. But I'd want something which I can take daily against anxiety.

known_guy
06-17-13, 01:30 AM
Gabapentin and Pregabalin are quite similar, in my experience. Lyrica is the more "potent" of the two and the effects are stronger overall. Both in benefits and side effects. Ativan is helpful for anxiety, but I personally dislike benzodiazepines because of memory issues. I would say on a long-term basis Pregabalin/Gabapentin sounds better, but do note that Pregabalin is a Schedule V substance due to a minimal abuse potential.

UltraFlex13
06-27-13, 10:42 AM
From experience with both meds, I would personally say stay away from Gabapentin/Lyrica. I started out on gabapentin ~2 years back for anxiety, and it definitely "dumbs you down". I noticed it severely impaired my thinking skills along with other cognitive functions. I'm the type that always likes to be on top of things, at my best performance etc..

I discontinued the gabapentin recently, and currently take 250mg lyrica, but titrating down until I can get off. As for the withdrawal, that is a complete lie. I have had terrible trouble with insomnia since discontinuing the gabapentin, and lowering my lyrica dose. Along with these crazy hot flashes. Although I didn't notice any addictive nature (besides physical dependence), the impairment is completely different from benzo's (Ativan, Klonopin). I literally feel "dumb" after taking it. Benzo's at the right dose (low doses) work much better for anxiety without interfering with cognitive functions.

Apologies for the long post, I despise these meds and would not recommend them to anyone with the exception of fibromyalgia patients (what they're intended for)

Laserbeak
08-03-13, 11:22 PM
Gabapentin, even in generic form, is very expensive so if you don't have insurance that will cover it watch out about that. I was at one time taking it for chronic pain but it really didn't help at all. Tramadol was what saved me, it was the only non-opioid painkiller that helped me.

Ativan (lorazepam) is, in my experience, the most addictive and euphoric benzodiazepine there is. It really flipped me out! Now I take Librium (chlordiazepoxide) during the day, it is the first benzo (discovered in 1959) and I think it is underutilized. It was a godsend to me compared to Xanax, Klonopin, etc. It doesn't give me a "high or drunk" feeling, but is very good at making me relaxed and feel normal.

addthree
08-06-13, 02:44 PM
Gabapentin is for seizure disorders.
Lorazapam is for anxiety.
They also give it for chronic pain.
I would get a new Doc.

tambourine-man
08-14-13, 10:10 PM
I consider Lyrica to be the best kept secret in psychopharmacology. Yes, tolerance develops rapidly but skipping only a few doses restores it to full potency, unlike lorazepam and other benzos which I have to completely abstain from for a month or more to get half the benefits I had initially received.

I do hear myself uttering the words, "It is right on the tip of my tongue," more often since being on Lyrica. Overall, however, the cognitive impairment, if you can even call it that, is far less disturbing than what I experienced taking benzos daily.

I've researched Lyrica a lot, as I find it a very intriguing chemical, Based on everything I've read, it does indeed cause dependency, and I wouldn't be surprised if abrupt withdrawal from high doses (significantly higher than those typically prescribed) could be life-threatening. It seems convulsions are not uncommon when abruptly withdrawn from higher therapeutic doses. Of course, these issues are also very common with benzodiazepines, likely a great deal more so, though I feel it is too early in Lyrica's history to say with certainty.

Neurontin, in my opinion, is vastly inferior to Lyrica. It seems most people who have tried both would agree with me. Neurontin is only 1/6 as potent as Lyrica and has serious bioavailability issues. So little of the dose actually gets to the brain that very large doses are needed once a certain dose is exceeded any higher amount is wasted.

I believe that once Lyrica is available as a generic Neurontin will be prescribed very rarely.

Wowwowwow
11-12-15, 09:10 AM
Done them all , last nine days on pregabalin started out ok ,then dark thoughts , and easily set off ! Not continuing and contacting MD , I will never take any of them again ,.... Just masking pain and had no idea they were being used for anxiety ,all they did was ramp mine up !