View Full Version : xanax addiction?

TazsDad
06-15-13, 08:28 AM
I've been reading "Your Life Can Be Better" By Puryear.

It seems like a good book. But, He mentions that Xanax is very bad and has no use. He never ever prescribes it. I've been taking 1mg of Alprazolam (Xanax) at night to sleep . I discovered this side-effect when I was working graveyard shift and trying to sleep during the day. Sleeping during the day is very difficult for me. My usage has not increased after about 3 years of using it. I do NOT drive after taking one. I'm usually asleep pretty quick. I have noticed NO tolerance to it. I am a recovering alcoholic and have been an extreme drug abuser when I was in my 20's, (I'm 61 now).
So, it's considered by many that I'm a high-risk "user"

I really DO have ADD with a side order of Clinical Depression/Anxiety. I also take 20 mg of Lexapro daily. The Lex does a great job of dealing with the CD/A .

My question for the forum is this:
Given the previous paragraph, the lack of abuse for recreational use, the lack of tolerance build up, how and why is it so bad for me?

Thanks in advance,

Pat

janiew
06-15-13, 09:42 AM
Benzos like Xanax work on GABA receptors in the brain and the brain can become physically dependent on the benzo even if abuse is not involved. Xanax has the shortest half life of all the benzos and interdose withdrawal symptoms are common. Benzos have horrible discontinuation and withdrawal symptoms even without abuse. Most people have to taper off very slowly. The recommended method is to switch to Valium, which is longer acting and use a gradual liquid taper schedule.

Google Heather Ashton and you will find a lot of info about benzo addiction and withdrawal.

Fraser_0762
06-15-13, 10:49 AM
Xanax binds itself to certain areas on the GABA receptors, causing the chlorine channels to stay open for longer. By allowing them to stay open longer, more CI-Ions can pass through and enter the Presynaptic neurons, making them less excitable.

There's currently no evidence of any long term biological changes occurring from therapeutic doses of Xanax. But users can very easily become addicted to the sedative effects of the drug, causing them to feel greater anxiety when the effects wear off.

sarahsweets
06-16-13, 04:50 AM
There are alot of people that hate benzos and think they are evil. Sometimes people abuse them because of the recreational sedation thing that can be enjoyable (if you like sleeping etc) the thing is, everything can be abused and why people pick certain meds to say are worse than others is a matter of personal choice. Some people say the same thing about adderall. There are many people that have taken theraputic doses of xanax for years and have no negative effects as long as they are taken as prescribed.

Raye
06-16-13, 09:55 AM
I posted on here a while back and asked how some people can actually take xanax, klonopin, valium or benzos on a long term basis and actually still have any effect.

I've always heard that dr's prescribe benzos for short term use (because the risk of dependency is so high) to alleviate anxiety until an anti depressant kicks in your system.

In mid- 2010 to early 2011 I battled a huge xanax addiction. Yet I can take any narcotic pain killer up the ying yang and not get addicted/dependent.

IMO I wouldn't worry about whether the xanax is bad for you or not. Talking from experience, it's when your theraputic dose is no longer effective is time for concern.

janiew
06-16-13, 12:54 PM
Some people have no issues with long term therapeutic doses and some do. Some that do have to do long term tapers to get off and still function. That or continue raising the dose. That's why a lot of docs won't prescribe for other than short term use.

TazsDad
06-18-13, 08:04 AM
I posted on here a while back and asked how some people can actually take xanax, klonopin, valium or benzos on a long term basis and actually still have any effect.

I've always heard that dr's prescribe benzos for short term use (because the risk of dependency is so high) to alleviate anxiety until an anti depressant kicks in your system.

In mid- 2010 to early 2011 I battled a huge xanax addiction. Yet I can take any narcotic pain killer up the ying yang and not get addicted/dependent.

IMO I wouldn't worry about whether the xanax is bad for you or not. Talking from experience, it's when your theraputic dose is no longer effective is time for concern.

It's funny, because I'm the exact opposite. Give me a prescription for Vicodin, and I'll abuse the heck out of it. Thankfully, any prescription of that is very short term. And it actually gives me energy. Weird, huh? I re-arranged my living room at 3am once on Vicodin.

Xanax just makes me sleepy. 1mg will put me to sleep. I don't feel high or anything like that. It DOES calm me down if I'm having an anxiety attack.
But 2mg just makes me drowsy when I wake up. There is no benefit to me to abuse it. Hence, I don't.

Raye
06-20-13, 08:09 AM
I guess 'to each their own'? I got a script for vicodin last summer when I injured my foot. I just threw it away, as I knew it wouldn't do any good.

I'm like that with Adderall too... I never got that high or euphoric feeling from it that so many talk of.

When I had my youngest daughter, my C section incision got infected badly, I was on percocet for almost 3 months. Never got addicted/dependent.

anyonebutme
06-24-13, 04:31 PM
I abused xanax for 6 months while going through a very tough time in 2003. The withdrawal was absolutely HORRIBLE. I never want to go through that again. Couldn't do anything because I felt like I had the flu and I couldn't sleep either. When I managed to get some sleep, I had nightmares/dreams that I actually thought were real. Months later after I had ceased taking xanax, I had two seizures.
I have absolutely have no desire to take any anti-anxiety or sleeping medications. Couldn't pay to take them. And actually, I won't take any medication except for stimulants to help with my ADHD. Maybe a motrin here and there for the occasional headache, but thats it. It's been almost 10 years since i've taken anything other than stimulants for adhd and OTC stuff. I'm SOOOO much better off.

Abi
06-24-13, 04:44 PM
The simple anwer is: it isn't bad for you.

All that anti-benzo propaganda is just that.

Nate W
06-24-13, 08:08 PM
Pat: I'm not sure if continued use at this level is bad or not for you. One thing you could try is don't take your dose one night and see how you fare. You may have rebound insomnia (which can be expected), but anything more severe (the shakes/craving and anger) then that may be an indication prolonged use is not safe.

I have read and do believe, that another similar medication, a benzodiazepine, clonazepam (Klonopin) is a safer alternative. It has a longer half life and leaves your system more slowly and has less potential for abuse. I take a very small dose occassionally for sleep (1/8 - 1/4 mg)

Congratulatons on your sobriety. I too am in recovey. Eight years sober coming up in July through AA.

--Nate

eloradanon
11-17-13, 06:03 PM
Hi. Iv seen similar with my brother, Raye. He'd do "yangyingy thingy" with narcotics & pain killers &never seem to hav any craving whatsoever -completely opposite to me in that respect. Johnos stability ((God rest his poor soul)) depended on drinking & smoking after a hard day workn in the hot Northern Territory & Queensland sun here in Australia, from 6 am -2 or 3pm, then he'd be as thirsty as one of the water buffalo or camels that traverse the Simpson Desert in great droves in the N.T.,QLD & Western Oz. But, Iv got2 quickly say, iv never heard the term "YING YANG" used in a sentence with such descriptive gusto b4! I LOVE IT! Most impressive indeed Raye!

eloradanon
11-17-13, 06:20 PM
I guess 'to each their own'? I got a script for vicodin last summer when I injured my foot. I just threw it away, as I knew it wouldn't do any good.

I'm like that with Adderall too... I never got that high or euphoric feeling from it that so many talk of.

When I had my youngest daughter, my C section incision got infected badly, I was on percocet for almost 3 months. Never got addicted/dependent.
hey Raye,I did a leftside, rightsidebattery short-out with the brain just then, as i was looking at ur pic & reading at the same time.:"when i had my C section.."! How was THAT sparkyzap to start the day over here next2the Pacific Ocean! Well! I dont know if i NEED MY DEX this morn! Ha! Now, THAT IS A JOKE. Id be sleeping all day if I DIDNT have them,hey!!!

eloradanon
11-17-13, 06:23 PM
Hi. Iv seen similar with my brother, Raye. He'd do "yangyingy thingy" with narcotics & pain killers &never seem to hav any craving whatsoever -completely opposite to me in that respect. Johnos stability ((God rest his poor soul)) depended on drinking & smoking after a hard day workn in the hot Northern Territory & Queensland sun here in Australia, from 6 am -2 or 3pm, then he'd be as thirsty as one of the water buffalo or camels that traverse the Simpson Desert in great droves in the N.T.,QLD & Western Oz. But, Iv got2 quickly say, iv never heard the term "YING YANG" used in a sentence with such descriptive gusto b4! I LOVE IT! Most impressive indeed Raye!

eloradanon
11-17-13, 06:39 PM
dear ANYONEBUTME, Pls remind me what OTC is? Is that over the counter meds 4 toothache etc?

silivrentoliel
11-17-13, 06:45 PM
yes, OTC is over the counter

Modafinilguy
01-07-14, 12:19 AM
TazsDad, (http://www.addforums.com/forums/member.php?u=74419)

with the usage you describe- there is no problem.

My 68 year old friend (an old lady) takes about the same each night, has been for various years. No problem.

Some people though, cannot control their usage, or it has seductive effects.

When used in a very controlled manner such as your usage, its not a problem. But in other cases, Xanax can be the devil.

Laserbeak
02-19-14, 01:56 PM
Xanax is the worst benzodiazepine on the market. If you want it just for sleep, ask for Restoril (temazepam), or if you need it throughout the day, ask for Librium (chlordiazepoxide) or Valium (diazepam).