View Full Version : My Piano Compositions

mrzyphl
06-16-13, 08:43 AM
I never really learned how to play the piano. I took lessons but couldn't
focus long enough to practice. I'd become fascinated with a phrase of
notes and play them over and over. I can read music but can't read and
play at the same time. I took me around 100 fifteen minute sessions to learn Fur Elise.
I can't play by ear. I've tried to get the first 6 notes of Bohemian
Rhapsody for years and haven't even come close. Yet I've sat at the piano
for hours and hours improvising my own stuff and eventually stringing
together melodies. I hope you like them. :0)

http://audioboo.fm/boos/1339378-sunrise-at-cascade-falls

mrzyphl
06-16-13, 08:43 AM
Almost 100 views and no comments or thanks? :(
Were all the people I've played this for that said they loved it just humoring me?
If anything, my songs show the sheer tenacity it took to work past the severe mental blocks of my ADD.
If no one can appreciate or acknowledge that then I don't know what I'm doing here.

amberwillow
06-16-13, 09:49 AM
I enjoyed it very much.

mrzyphl
06-19-13, 10:16 PM
Here is another. It's what I feel like when I'm ruminating.

http://audioboo.fm/boos/1339476-reminiscence (http://audioboo.fm/boos/1339476-reminiscence)

Candlewax
09-18-13, 04:05 AM
I like it a lot, the piano is out of tune and the sound quality is a little bad, but I think it only adds to the atmosphere, really good.

dvdnvwls
09-18-13, 04:40 AM
Hey, I had never seen this thread! I just listened to Sunrise... right now.

I like your composition's structure - it sounds right. How did you record it? Did you really just record yourself playing the piece on an electronic keyboard in the key of (I think) F-sharp? Or was there some sequencing or MIDI or speed-changing software included in the final product?

dresser
09-18-13, 04:25 PM
the music is a result; what it took, the how, that is what I want, having your desire is where we are very much the same. having your ability to work the things out to gain your desire, is where we sadly parted. I NEEDED to see this thread, in order to put a different slant as to achieving my desire's. I too took piano lessons mom would give fifty cent's ever week, went for awhile never turned into an instant Liberace so bought smoke's.
30cents bought me the cheepys Vogue cigarettes and 35cents would get me Exports
or Players,packs of 20.reason for telling this part= I had to work painfully hard to "learn how to smoke", puking all the time, N fear of getting caught[ASKikin]. why couldn't I have put "the same effort forth for the music". think I was 9or 10yr old and have wished ever since, 72 now, but I can sing and do, besides I would never have been able to play the piano while driving, but I do sing and creat songs. thanks mrzyphl and I do understand what you mean when you say=this is what I feel like when I'm doing, whatever.
stay well .

dvdnvwls
09-18-13, 04:45 PM
Hi Dresser

Is something stopping you from playing piano, besides just that you're 72? You can get a used piano for not too much money, or one of those electronic ones if you have to, and you can find a teacher; or if that's no good you can get some books and learn something on your own.

It's too late for you to be an instant Liberace, but it's never too late to play the piano for yourself and maybe a friend or two. Unless you can't see a thing, or you have pretty bad arthritis in hands & arms, or other major physical problems, then there's a way. (Blind people do play the piano, but they usually don't start when they're 72.)

Kids who quit piano lessons means there are a lot of houses with pianos that nobody plays anymore. Buying one of those is the way to go, for saving money.

Clowdyhead
09-18-13, 04:51 PM
You should be proud of yourself! Who cares what we think. I make music as well maybe I'll post some of it in this thread when I get home. I use ableton live which works amazingly with my sparatic personailty.

mrzyphl
10-06-13, 01:40 PM
Hey, I had never seen this thread! I just listened to Sunrise... right now.

I like your composition's structure - it sounds right. How did you record it? Did you really just record yourself playing the piece on an electronic keyboard in the key of (I think) F-sharp? Or was there some sequencing or MIDI or speed-changing software included in the final product?

It was a Roland L700 Digital Piano. I recorded on a 50 year old reel to reel and transferred it to a CD.
I didn't know how well the mike would pick up the sound so I played as loud as I could.
I don't know what key it's in but F# is the only black key I play in it.
I've thought about getting midi software but it seems to complicated for me to learn on my own.

dvdnvwls
10-06-13, 08:24 PM
It was a Roland L700 Digital Piano. I recorded on a 50 year old reel to reel and transferred it to a CD.
I didn't know how well the mike would pick up the sound so I played as loud as I could.
I don't know what key it's in but F# is the only black key I play in it.
I've thought about getting midi software but it seems to complicated for me to learn on my own.
So, in other words, what we're hearing in terms of piano skills is all real, not done on the computer afterwards. Impressive fingers!

audiophilekate
10-12-13, 06:36 PM
I've listened to both compositions and love them. I'm a music composition major and wish I heard more of this from my peers (or professors). I only wish the quality was better. Are you able to hook your digital piano to your computer? If so, that would probably help.

I, too, have trouble reading and playing simultaneously. Taking piano classes and having private lessons really helped with that. I'm still not good at it, but I'm better than I was 2 years ago. It just takes practice and patience. It also helps to sit and read the notes before you begin playing so you can sort of map out where you want/need to go next.

Over all, well done! I hope to hear more music from you soon!

BellaVita
10-12-13, 07:15 PM
I really really liked them!! Great work! :) Very relaxing. :)

mrzyphl
10-27-13, 03:49 PM
I've listened to both compositions and love them. I'm a music composition major and wish I heard more of this from my peers (or professors). I only wish the quality was better. Are you able to hook your digital piano to your computer? If so, that would probably help.

I, too, have trouble reading and playing simultaneously. Taking piano classes and having private lessons really helped with that. I'm still not good at it, but I'm better than I was 2 years ago. It just takes practice and patience. It also helps to sit and read the notes before you begin playing so you can sort of map out where you want/need to go next.

Over all, well done! I hope to hear more music from you soon!

Thanks Kate,

I would love to be able to hook my keyboard up to my computer but I don't know anybody that knows how to do that. I'll keep trying to find someone that does.

dvdnvwls
10-27-13, 08:54 PM
Some connectors are MIDI (the jack for MIDI is round and about the size of a quarter, with slots for several pins); others are USB (USB connectors probably look like the one for your printer). Your computer would need the right type of jack to connect to, according to what type your keyboard was... and then you would need the right program on the computer to decode the keyboard's signals. Many of the smaller less-expensive keyboards come without computer connectors of any kind.