View Full Version : Missing a Dose of Wellbutrin

happycreature
06-17-13, 09:30 PM
I take 25mg Adderall XR for my ADHD, Wellbutrin for depression. While I've been on Wellbutrin before it hasn't been until this summer that I noticed some debilitating side effects if I miss a dose

At this point I've missed a dose at least twice, and twice I've had horrible days because of it, particularly in the afternoon/evening. While I did have legitimate reasons to be sad, this was to an entirely new level; nearly doubled over and just sobbing for hours, body wracked with unexplainable grief. Suicidal feelings, self hatred, the worst of my depression came flooding back with a vengeance..

Recently (within the past month or so) I'd upped my dosage from 150mg to 250mg because I was experiencing an increase in my symptoms, and the increase seemed to help, that is until I missed a day. My understanding was that depression meds weren't that fast-acting...

Do any of you who take Wellbutrin for depression experience anything similar if you miss a dose?

silivrentoliel
06-17-13, 10:28 PM
I was prescribed it, but after only a couple doses, I was absolutely useless... I can't explain it. I can only imagine it's the same you're describing as when you miss a dose.

What causes you to miss doses? If it is at all possible... try not to miss them

happycreature
06-18-13, 09:10 AM
A few mornings I had to wake up especially early to take my ADHD meds before a test (so I wouldn't be peaking at test-time) and I guess I forgot to take them along with it.

You're right in that the obvious solution is just not to miss a dose. I actually downloaded a medication reminder app today. Maybe that will help.

FogNoggin
07-26-13, 06:37 PM
Was at my brothers place a little longer than I thought and I did not have my 300mg bupropion pill, by the time I got back I decided it was too late to take it.

The day after the next day was a foggy, foot dragging, dizzy, dopey, slow brained day that took a few days to fully go away.

Abi
07-26-13, 09:21 PM
Wellbutrin is nowhere near as slow acting as antidepressants like SSRI's.

Wellbutrin XL gives you 12 hours coverage max. Less if you metabolise the med fast.

By comparison, something like Celexa is good for 24 - 36 hours, and Prozac longer.

So yes, the crash is normal. I have not experienced such a severe crashes myself, but it doesn't strike me as particularly bizarre or anything.

Don't miss your doses!

Nonzens
08-17-13, 02:11 AM
Wellbutrin is nowhere near as slow acting as antidepressants like SSRI's.

Wellbutrin XL gives you 12 hours coverage max. Less if you metabolise the med fast.

By comparison, something like Celexa is good for 24 - 36 hours, and Prozac longer.

So yes, the crash is normal. I have not experienced such a severe crashes myself, but it doesn't strike me as particularly bizarre or anything.

Don't miss your doses!

Huh, interesting. So why do psychs all say 2 weeks or more? I definitely noticed major (side) effects of the drug by the second day I took it, although I didn't notice anything on the first day other than a subtle intensifying of activity. I'm scared of Wellbutrin's side effects more than I have been of any other drug, particularly because psychs say 2 weeks... like I gotta endure two weeks of this crap before I can judge it?!

Abi
08-17-13, 11:42 AM
By 12 hours' COVERAGE I meant that it will be effective for that long, then wear off.

When Psychs say 2 weeks or more, they say that the POSITIVE effects of the med usually take 2 weeks to manifest (tho I started feeling them by day 8 or so.)

Side effects with all meds start early on and usually REDUCE as time passes.

Abi
08-17-13, 11:43 AM
ps what type of wellbutrin do you take? regular/ir, sr or xl?

Nonzens
08-17-13, 11:52 AM
Okay, interesting... I guess. I'm on XL. My psych doesn't believe in IRs of any stimulant.

hollywood
08-23-13, 03:21 PM
I can't think straight on it . Yeah it helps but in done ways I think better but I really can't dig into things and format strategies

It's just rapid fire all out NE