View Full Version : User acct. on laptop

Raye
06-18-13, 08:26 AM
When I log into my user acct. on my laptop, I try to launch Firefox or any other web browser, it tells me the application is infected with a virus, but the guest acct. works just fine.

Wouldn't the entire computer be infected if there were a virus?

Thanks

someothertime
06-18-13, 09:31 AM
First thought is to download and run ccleaner... Some crapware in there me thinks...

Abi
06-18-13, 11:47 AM
Nope certain viruses sit in the files/registry entries associated with your user account. So it's entirely possible.

I recommend Lavasoft Adaware Free Version {Google, can't post link as there is a pay version of the program there as well.}

Raye
06-19-13, 05:36 AM
Thanks Abi... I never had this problem before, even on an old Dell desktop I had for four years.

someothertime- I can't download anything from my user acct, as I can't open any browers at all.

someothertime
06-19-13, 06:53 AM
Yup...was going to suggest using another computer to put ccleaner, the latest Firefox / chrome installer malware bytes, and a freeware antivirus on a usb stick... ( maybe a friend can do it? )

Tell us your operating sytem ( xp, windiws7 ) etc...

In all honesty... If that were my computer, I'd scan it with all those tools + a seperate antivirus and even then I'd be suss about if I've got it all and most likeley migrate the settings and data to a fresh install.

Do you know someone handy with tech? ( in person lol! )... If I had proper net... I'd offer to remote scan it for you... Takes ages...

Most likely someone accidentally clicked one of those deceptive ads or pop ups or something... When you get it off use a good detection software ( ones that block "known bad sites and tell you when some "known crap" is installing are good.

Raye
07-17-13, 05:02 AM
Thanks guys.

My laptop's hard drive officially blew up :eyebrow: