View Full Version : School Officials Disappear due to Attorney

Blanched Dubois
06-18-13, 08:51 AM
So remember when i took my attorney to the IEP meeting for my son a couple weeks ago? How they didn't feel comfortable if their legal wasn't here - so now i email and question the appt and i get this answer; Well most are gone for summer and they don't want to meet if lawyer is going to be there.

I wonder if I shouldn't wait until the school year and sue them?

Waiting for my atty to answer this....she came to support us as my kid has had no one but me advocating and when i'm in the hospital as last year they pull the assessment - knowing he's passive suicidal - severe depression - now we got diagnoses but the lawyer situation is 'if you bring one they won't come' as they're all done for the summer - and since I want my kid back in the classroom given another year he needs to graduate - i'm being stonewalled and no one called me. I had to email them twice till the online school guy calls - my kid and i are being treated like problems and they're the problem.

This is too much. My son hardly leaves his room unless i make him....he's on meds - starting therapy - and they just drop his IEP meeting due to my lawyer wanting to support us?

UGH.

Lunacie
06-18-13, 10:01 AM
Did you inform the school prior to the IEP meeting that you were bringing
an attorney with you? Parents sometimes walk out of meetings when they
weren't informed that the school's lawyer would be there, that cuts both
ways.

However, I don't believe they can refuse to allow your lawyer to attend the
meeting with you. They're stonewalling and hoping that you don't know
your rights. I'm sorry you had to get a lawyer because the school isn't
cooperating, but in your case it's a good thing to have a lawyer to advise
you.

Blanched Dubois
06-18-13, 10:30 AM
The head of the ESE for the District just told me that he's being reinstated - they're waving the process and just getting him an IEP immediately or ESE - and will be helped in school and the District head said he'd get back to me. He's back in classes starting in August - i guess - his therapy and assessments ordered start july 2nd - i just want my son to want to live....he barely leaves his room

All of this is how we've been treated and my attorney is mute now....it's all money.

Well, I guess I'm surrendering - i have had it. Thanks Lun - i'm just so tired....it's so hard all of this.

Lunacie
06-18-13, 11:18 AM
The head of the ESE for the District just told me that he's being reinstated - they're waving the process and just getting him an IEP immediately or ESE - and will be helped in school and the District head said he'd get back to me. He's back in classes starting in August - i guess - his therapy and assessments ordered start july 2nd - i just want my son to want to live....he barely leaves his room

All of this is how we've been treated and my attorney is mute now....it's all money.

Well, I guess I'm surrendering - i have had it. Thanks Lun - i'm just so tired....it's so hard all of this.

They can't put an IEP in place (what is ESE?) unless you sign off on it.
I can understand feeling totally overwhelmed, but if you want any
accomodations for your son, you'll have to meet with the staff and work
out what accomodations they can or can't do. Wish I was there to be
moral support for ya.

Blanched Dubois
06-18-13, 11:24 AM
Well thank you {{{{Lun}}}} - i got the District head who knows me as I had to go over the school's head to get him involved to begin with in 2011

they are now forced to comply and they know i have an attorney so we'll see what happens

i surrender - tired of the drama and BS