View Full Version : Combining pill bottles?

dafras
06-19-13, 06:21 AM
I am currently going to study abroad in europe for 3+ months and so I had my doctor write me 3x scripts for focalin and 3x scripts for xanax. Is it okay to mix all of the focalin into one bottle and all the xanax into another bottle or will I run into trouble doing this, especially in airports? I just dont want to be carying 6 bottles of medications with me and look like a maniac.

ms ladybug
06-19-13, 04:19 PM
I wouldn't. In case anything gets questioned, you should have the original bottle with your name and script written on it. Just to be safe.

Meagan
06-19-13, 05:45 PM
Yep, bring all the bottles with labels. You can't have 90 pills in a bottle that says 30.

gingerkat
06-25-13, 02:25 PM
I don't know if you've left... ask the pharmacy for a larger bottle with the correct label. I've done that for my pills when I've traveled and they were able to do that.

Laserbeak
12-12-13, 05:48 AM
Take all the original bottles. Your doctor should have written you a 90 day prescription to begin with, but I guess that's already done.

namazu
12-12-13, 07:38 PM
I have trouble remembering my medication if I don't use pill organizers. (And even then, it's not guaranteed!)

So even when I have traveled abroad for longer periods (i.e. months), I have distributed my regular medications into the necessary number of weekly pill organizers in advance. I put these in a fabric lunch-bag inside my carry-on bag.

I keep the print-outs that come with each prescription -- which basically duplicate the label information, including doctor's name and prescribed daily dose -- as well as the patient guide (with indications, side effects, etc.) in the bag with the pill organizers.

This has worked well for me and I haven't had any difficulties. However, if you want to be sure you're doing everything by the book to avoid problems, then keep the meds in the original labeled bottles. Also, check with the consulate of the country you're visiting to be sure that your meds are allowed in the country. Some countries prohibit amphetamines, for example, with or without medical documentation. I doubt anyone will hassle you, but it would be good to know what the rules are to avoid any unpleasant surprises that could leave you without your meds.

[EDIT: Oh. This thread is from June. Not sure how it was resurrected!]

mirandatoritess
12-13-13, 01:43 AM
Yep, bring all the bottles with labels. You can't have 90 pills in a bottle that says 30.

Yeah they would be like why are there 90 pills in here? The bottle only says 30. Hmmmm whats goin on here?:eyebrow:

janiew
12-13-13, 01:57 AM
Don't combine meds unless you have a good pill/script divider.

You might end up tripping your *** off... It's been known to happen.

I have experienced it in the past and I don't want to experience it in the future...

namazu
12-13-13, 08:02 PM
Don't combine meds unless you have a good pill/script divider.

You might end up tripping your *** off... It's been known to happen.

I have experienced it in the past and I don't want to experience it in the future...

If I understood it right, the question was just about dumping the (identical) contents of each of three bottles with 30 Focalin pills into a single bottle with 90 Focalin pills to save space, not about splitting physical pills, nor consuming medications together that weren't prescribed to be taken together.

But it's good advice not to play home pharmacist, in any case!