View Full Version : Chirping Watch

by_design
06-19-13, 03:40 PM
I was just reading an idea of having a watch that chirps every 15 minutes. I am thinking wow what a great idea, stopping every 15 minutes throughout the day to refocus on priorities and update my task list. Problem is I don't know of any watch/clock that does that without setting every 15 minutes as an alarm. Does anyone here already do this? What kind of watch will do this?

Restless1
06-19-13, 03:44 PM
Casio do adjustable countdown alarms. Set it for 15 minutes or whatever timescale you need and set it off. It beeps after that time and you just set it off again for the next 15 minutes,

ChaoticSuccess
06-28-13, 08:05 AM
Not sure if you have a smartphone (iPhone, Android), but there's an app for both called Buzz Clock. You can set your phone to vibrate at different intervals (5, 15, 30 minutes). It's discrete but still works as a nice reminder to get back on task.

You can search for it in the App Store or on Google Play.

complexnatural
01-28-14, 10:48 PM
I downloaded Buzz clock. I think it will be great for me!

longboard
02-07-14, 01:47 AM
Last time I checked, BuzzClock didn't seem to work. I've downloaded and tried other interval timer apps.

My favorite so far: Repeat Timer Free (For iPhone)

On Google Chrome, I use "1-Click Timer" extension. It doesn't stop sounding or flashing until you click on the bubble to disable it.

Hawutwut
02-07-14, 04:03 AM
I tried this with my iphone, where it would chime every 30 minutes to sort of help me keep track of time. It was driving me a little crazy. When I was working, on a conference call, it'd go off. Great. After work I wanted it off, then I'd forget to turn it back on. BUT I will say that it helped me be a bit more conscious of passing time.

sarahsweets
02-07-14, 07:17 AM
The chirping would make me smash the watch with a hammer.

stef
02-07-14, 07:36 AM
I think I'd go insane!

there is a free online timer thing, though (silent!)
I've used this at work before. But it's kind of annoying...

Hawutwut
02-07-14, 11:31 AM
I used westminster chimes on the phone.

shoesandsocks
04-28-14, 07:24 PM
I have a watch that chirps on the hour, but I unfortunately learned to ignore it rather easily. I even ignore the alarm. Here it is just in case you can manage to not tune it out!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51nAgmyQovL.jpg

namazu
04-28-14, 11:41 PM
Casio makes a couple of watches (designed for hunters and fishermen) that have a quiet (vibrating) alarm. You can set it to go off at certain recurrent intervals (hourly or half-hourly, I think) or at specific times you need to be reminded of things. They cost around $30.

For a while, I was carrying one around in my pocket to try to train myself to monitor my attention/activities and the passage of time, and also to remember to take my medication in the afternoons when I wasn't in front of my computer (where I have other alarms set).

Cons: the "tuning it out" / habituation problem mentioned above, though it works for a while and sometimes regains its novelty if I stop using it for a while and then start again. Also, the watch wasn't the most intuitive thing to program.

But overall, I think it has been worth trying.

someothertime
04-28-14, 11:53 PM
Yeah, the casio fishing one is ok... timex has a ~35 dollar vibration alarm watch too... prefered that one... more mens style ( larger ).....

It has a hydration alarm too so can alert you periodicly to drink which is pretty cool although like Namazu says... it's easy to tune out after a few days unless you religiously perform some sort of routing each time it vibrates...

purpleToes
05-10-14, 11:16 PM
This is different from what the OP asked for, and solves a slightly different problem, but maybe some will find it useful as I do: I use a free iPad/iPhone app called "Almost Time." All it does is tell me it's almost (whatever) o'clock in the (morning/afternoon/evening). Once per hour it say something like: It is almost 11 o'clock at night.

For me, "almost" is configured to be 10 minutes. You can also configure how loud it will be independent of the system volume, and you can define "do not disturb" hours; and you can change the speaking voice/accent if you find yourself starting to tune it out.

The Almost Time app has helped me become more oriented to time of day, and more likely to follow through on my normal reminders. For example, I need to go out and get a cake for Mothers' Day before the store closes, and Almost Time just reminded me it's almost 8 o'clock at night, so my brain then began preparing to transition away from ADDForums to the cake-buying task.

Wisefolly
05-12-14, 05:12 PM
I know there are mindfulness apps that you can get for iPhone and Android systems that will chime or tap in a random way. I believe you can set it for not less than x time and not more than y time. For example, you could set it for not less than 40 minutes and not more than 65 minutes, and then it would space the chimes or tones between 40 to 65 minutes apart. If it's not always on the hour, maybe it would be more difficult to tune out. When searching, trying looking for "mindfulness." You might want to try looking on a site such as Lifehacker before doing a general app store or web search because of the overwhelming number of results.

The only problem with this for me is that you can't override the silent setting on the iPhone, and I usually keep my iPhone on silent when I'm at work. :umm1: