View Full Version : Little Boy in a Big Adult Suite

Tufftat
02-14-05, 04:59 PM
hi everyone, my names pete, i live in the south west ,uk, im 38, married with three children and ive just been diagnosed with "add".

phew, that was hard work, i feel lost at the moment(as if thats something new)and im really not sure of how i feel, ive been burying my head in the sand for the last week going from denial to elation at being told. Deep down i think i always knew, but you know what its like keep moving and checking and i'd get clear. Its such a relief to know that i'm not alone in the way i've always felt and thought.( although i wouldnt wish it on anybody)

I am truly grateful for my wifes love and support, she has stood by me through thick and thin, so im sure this will only make us stronger.
If anyone would like to contact us , please feel free as any info,support or chat is gladly recieved.

Pete & Tracie

ps. Excuse the title, i have a warped sense of humor and outlook on life at times. Hey it works for me. :)

thebluenile
02-14-05, 09:22 PM
Hi, Pete, firstly well done for getting a diagnosis, i'd be interested to know whether you managed to get it on the NHS or had to go private, I've had no luck getting an NHS referral in the past.

it must be a massive relief getting diagnosed, are you getting ongoing treatment or is a case of 'self help' , with books etc?

If you're like me, you will probably have been called all sorts of names in the past such as 'lazy' and 'thick', but you knew somewhere inside it wasn't true, it ends up being frustrating to the point where it takes over your every waking minute, and can wreck your life if you let it.

Good luck.

Paul

shinobi
02-14-05, 11:48 PM
wow. south west UK. used to live down dorset before i hit australia a few months back. Like whats their face above idd be intrested to know if you got a diagnosis off the NHS. their slow and lame with that sort of thing.

Tufftat
02-15-05, 02:58 AM
hi paul,shinobi.
thanks for posting, as to your questions about being reffered on the nhs, yes i was but i wouldn't recommend anyone going the route i did.Sounds very cryptic but i dont mean to be, firstly i did things totally about face,i'd never had any joy from consulting local gp's and had filed them away as lost causes, because of how i look (16stone, covered in tattoo's, mohawk ) they always gave the impression that i was just out for a free ride or long term sick note! Ive always had a foul temper and over the years had managed to control it after a fashion, i was fobbed off for so many years that in the end my wife persuaded me to just get on and live(your so right paul, it can end up wrecking your life, specially if you tend to be hyper focused,or as my wife calls me bloody minded, lol)
anyway we had had a difficult couple of months, seemed like everything was an uphill struggle, then it started to affect my wife(tracie is my wife and best friend) and that just sent me into a downhill spirral of not being able to understand or be able to cope with the situation. felt like i was on the ragged edge, cant remember exactly what set me off but basically i lost control and my temper exploded,(shaking typing this) im rambling!, it ended up with me storming the local (mental, occupational health?) hospital, i was really lucky that a young man( still dont know his title) managed to calm me down and actually take the time to listen to me(dont think the local police would of been so understanding) i poured out 37 yrs of grief to this man, a complete stranger and at the end he just said outta the blue "have you ever thought you might have adhd". i was floored, he told me to go to my gp(again)but this time he would speak to him first, i did so (actually my wife had me in an armlock, so no choice) and he reffered me straight back. wow that was hard work!! im not proud of how i got help(no-one was hurt)and think it was a last cry for help.like i said i wouldnt recommend anyone else going that route,and theres a lot more i havent said, but day by day.

pete

toni paul
02-21-05, 06:02 PM
Hiya im in west yorkshire and was diagnosed at 25 in new zealand,where they are so much more onto it there than the uk.I used to self medicate,but not anymore.i take ritalin periodically,it helps but sometimes over focuses me.I run my own business which i love but is a mission sometimes as i am all over the show!I try not to see my adhd as a negative aspect of me.

toni paul
02-22-05, 05:17 PM
an interesting book i have just read(TOOK ME AGES COULDNT CONCENTRATE!) is called Attention Deficit
Disorder (A different Persception),written by THOM HARTMANN.I recommend it very highly.Has helped me alot.Would love feedback if anyone cares to read it.My partner is reading it and helps for them to understnd the world WE live in!

meadd823
02-23-05, 12:13 AM
One of the first books I read ( I think) I liked it and prefered the perspective!!

Tufftat
02-23-05, 03:42 PM
hi everyone, ive just started reading Albert Ellis , a guide to rational thinking, and although ive only begun its really good with plenty of useful tips. i'll let u know more as i get through it.

I married Miss Right, i just didn't know her first name was Always.

pathfinder
02-24-05, 08:51 AM
Hiya Pete..
(I`m trying to reel my thoughts back in as they race round like loonies)I`m glad that you have been diagnosed, has the diagnosis changed the way you feel at all? I`m still in limbo waiting for referal. I realised that I was ADD after reading a supplement in the Times...
I`m on the verge of bankruptcy and the PC has been my sanctuary for the last coupla months(I get so `kin angry with everything!) I had to resign from my own company this year `cos I couldn`t cope ! "There" I `kin said it for the first time! sorry for that
mate! If I`m not ADD then I must be crazy....
Dino....

thebluenile
02-25-05, 08:10 PM
Hi Pathfinder, I have had some debt problems myself over the last few years, caused by me taking an ill thought out university course in the middle of an ADD haze, not as bad as bankrupcy though, I was terrified of being taken to court, but, with the help of my local Citizen's advice bureau, and local council debt advisory service, I got the interest frozen and some sensible repayments.

If you make a list of your income and outgoings and work out what you can afford (best doing it through the CAB, it looks more official), and allocate anything left over pro rata between your creditors, even if it's only 1 a month, even if they take you to court (which mine didn't and yours probably won't), the court will see that you were doing your best to pay it back.

Debt is a total nightmare, fortunately I found help, being made bankrupt might not be a bad move, in the long term, although i haven't been in that position.