View Full Version : How do you cook hard boiled eggs that peel easy?

tudorose
06-23-13, 08:19 AM
DH and I can't seem to get this one right.

Advice appreciated.

namazu
06-23-13, 08:54 AM
Start with slightly older (but not rotten!) eggs -- apparently there's some gas inside that increases with age, and that makes it easier to peel.

Let the eggs cool a little bit before you peel them -- fill the pot with cold water.

Also, when you're peeling the egg, rdo it in the sink under cold running water. The water will help lubricate the shell and it will come off much more easily.

Those are my folk-tips. :)

DcGonzo
06-23-13, 09:29 AM
I have nothing useful to add.

I do however have an unwelcome opinion...

Hard-boiled eggs are WRONG.

That is all.

Unmanagable
06-23-13, 11:46 AM
I always boil mine a LOT longer than 3 minutes. I'm guesstimating 10ish or so minutes.

I pour the hot water off and put cold water in the pan and let them cool.

Before I start peeling, I tap each end to crack it, then put it on the counter and gently roll it under my hand to crack it.

Then start peeling under some gentle running water.

I learned this trick when I first started the internship on the farm. They have quails and I was trying to learn how to cook those itty bitty little eggs. I found it worked good for the hen eggs, too. Duck and Goose eggs are fun, too!! :)

Sandy4957
06-23-13, 12:20 PM
Supposedly, add baking soda to the water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN2gYHJNT3Y

Grizu
06-23-13, 12:40 PM
Try putting a Tbsp of distilled vinegar in the water, and make sure not to over crowd. Also, place the eggs in the slightly warm water and bring them to a boil slowly. Be careful not to over cook; 2 1/2 to 3 minutes in a good boil is all it takes. Let the eggs cool to room temperature before you pill.

silivrentoliel
06-23-13, 08:15 PM
I put ice in the pot when I'm done. A lot of it. Cools quickly and the shell separates from the egg easily

Rebelyell
06-23-13, 08:22 PM
Put em in the fridge let em cooldown.

Abi
06-23-13, 08:56 PM
I have nothing useful to add.

I do however have an unwelcome opinion...

Hard-boiled eggs are WRONG.

That is all.

It had to happen that we'd agree on *something* eventually, I suppose.

Abi
06-23-13, 08:59 PM
I always boil mine a LOT longer than 3 minutes. I'm guesstimating 10ish or so minutes.

I pour the hot water off and put cold water in the pan and let them cool.

Before I start peeling, I tap each end to crack it, then put it on the counter and gently roll it under my hand to crack it.

Then start peeling under some gentle running water.

I learned this trick when I first started the internship on the farm. They have quails and I was trying to learn how to cook those itty bitty little eggs. I found it worked good for the hen eggs, too. Duck and Goose eggs are fun, too!! :)

You're probably onto something. My mother boils them for way longer than 10 minutes, and I've never known her to have trouble peeling them.

silivrentoliel
06-23-13, 09:42 PM
i over boil mine, but they don't get nasty. i boil them for like 15-20mins. the cold water/ice water trick works... and using a small spoon to get under the shell works well too

salleh
06-24-13, 03:08 AM
I was a professional cook for 8 years while going to the various colleges I attended....and the best and foolproof way to have the eggs turn out easy to peel, no ending up with pitted eggs, not peeled eggs, .....and there's never any of that nasty green coating around the yolk......and the inside is done all the way through, but the yolk is light and fluffy ....

...put lots of salt in the bottom of the pan ...at least 1/4 cup, ....then put one layer of eggs down in the salt ....

add enough COLD water to cover the eggs and up to at least an inch or 2 of water above the eggs.....

turn on high heat, and bring to a boil, once it's boiling start timing, and let them boil for 10 minutes exactly, then pour out the hot water, and run the pan under the cold water till you don't feel much heat coming from the eggs....

...you will find that one crack on the counter, roll it once around, and the entire shell will usually come off in one piece held together by the inside membrane ...once in a while you have to roll it again, but I have never had the shell stick at all, on any part of the egg

....like I said, perfectly done, all the way through, no green, and fluffy yolks, ....and no stick ....( better than Teflon ....snicker)

works every time

tudorose
06-24-13, 04:55 AM
Lots of things to try. I'm gonna first start with Salleh's advice and see how I go.

salleh
06-24-13, 08:28 PM
Hey girl, let me know how that works for you .....it works for me ...and I don't think I left anything out !!!! but if it works for you, I know for sure I didn't leave any step out ....

Fraser_0762
06-24-13, 08:49 PM
If you're hard boiling the egg. Chop the egg in half after its been boiled, then simply scoop the egg out with a spoon. :)

Ms. Mango
06-25-13, 11:29 PM
This works if you aren't boiling a lot of eggs. They need to fit in a sauce pan or other deep pan with a handle.

Put eggs in pan, cover with water. Bring to a rolling boil, set timer for 10 minutes.

When time is up, using oven mitts that cover your hands/wrists, use the lid to strain out the water. Then shake the eggs in the empty pan to crack the shells.

Start running cool water over the eggs and removing the shells. I usually hold the egg right under the stream of water 'cause they're hot!

The shells usually come right off unless, as namazu noted, the eggs are too fresh.

tudorose
06-26-13, 04:16 AM
Hey girl, let me know how that works for you .....it works for me ...and I don't think I left anything out !!!! but if it works for you, I know for sure I didn't leave any step out ....

Yep this worked! I didn't use a lot of salt coz I didn't have a lot to use but they worked out so easy to peel and tasted really nice.

Thanks Salleh!!!

:thankyou:

BatBowey
10-03-13, 04:23 PM
Boil the eggs for about 8 minutes (normal sized eggs). And then take the pot and open the cold tap water over the pot so it's not boiling. Badum *tsch* good eggs! :P

Stevuke79
10-03-13, 05:07 PM
I get a perfect peal every time...

Cook for 10-15 minutes (actual boil time) - dump out the hot water, pour in cold, put in tons of ice. This is one thing I do REALLY WELL!!

Silvermoonstone
10-12-13, 12:18 AM
Boil it for about 10 minutes, then gently crack the shell all around the egg before peeling it off. Works for me.